Skip to main content

Winter ABC Day 26: Portraits of My Life

Photos without captions are left for one's interpretation. A picture is worth a thousand words, some often left unsaid.

As I flip through old photo albums, I read the stories told by each image. I'm by nature, nostalgic, and find peace in past time's paradise. But those photos show how far I have come. I see the journey to unlearning and healing. I see the map to self love. There are images of loved ones both living and deceased.

Memories are affirmed by photos and below are the portraits of my life.

1. Photo with dad

My middle name in Zulu loosely means 'daddy's girl'. Out of all my sisters, I cleaved to my father's hip. At 5 ft 2 in, my father was the figure that I looked up to. This photo resembles him carrying my life in his hands. I didn't have to face the world alone, daddy had me.



2. Photo of mum 

My mother was and still is the most stylish woman that I know. If it weren't for traditional Shona customs, I would still have most of her clothes. I would probably be wearing them. My mum looked good in everything. She loved red lipstick and rocked that Afro as if she was Pam Grief in Foxy Brown. This photo is of my live Pinterest board.

3. My pink Chinese dress



For one night, I was Cinderella at the ball. This photo was taken at my younger sister's birthday soiree. My cousin picked this dress for me. She said that it brought out my personality - weird and adventurous. She forgot lover of the exotic. This was the first time that I felt very beautiful. It was more than just the dress, it was my perception of self. The dress also happens to be inspired by one of my female idols, Sadé. Exhibit A.



4. Photo of my daughter



What personality rolled up into one little human being. My daughter is loveable. She is sweet yet mature beyond her age. She is generous with a gigantic heart. She says that she wants to be a star. Looks like she is one already. This photo is my lighthouse - guiding my journey through motherhood. I hope that I will be a great mother.

5. My sister as a bridesmaid



This is what sibling rivalry looks like. Anybody remember the MTV cartoon 'Daria'. I'm so Daria and this is my sister, who's like Daria's sister, Britney. Growing up we were always compared. I wad the smart one and she's the pretty one. Pretty always wins, smart hurts. As adults my sister still has that competitive trait in her. She often projects onto me - she wants me to be 'her'. Although she never admits to it. This photo is a compliment from me, you are beautiful and that's enough. I'm in my lane and that's enough.

Thank you for going through the exhibition of my photos. They remain in this gallery for your own interpretation.

Merci beaucoup!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Are You Miss Bare Minimum?

You are worth the ICE! Intention. Commitment. Effort. Y'all, this is my proof of life. It's been a minute. It's been a tumultuous season, and I guess that I'm not the only one. I am glad though, that I am here to pour out and into you. You've always understood me. And then P!nk's 'Mizunderstood' becomes a backtrack to this conversation. But that's a conversation for another day. A nous allez! Bonjour, bonjour mes amies! Comment allez-vous? I'm taking it one day at a time. Picture this: you’re on a date, and instead of engaging in conversation, your date is glued to his phone, replying to texts that are definitely not from you. Or maybe he’s the ‘textationship’ king, flooding your screen with emojis but never making time for an actual face-to-face meeting. Now this is a good one, he's the convenience pro who gets to see you and spend time with you within his vicinity, and not outside his capacity. Now what do we call that *taps head thinking*...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact...

Riding Solo, Cliques and Friendship

Friends are mirrors, shadows, at times visions, and sometimes ghosts. - The Real Lady E Let's talk about #squadgoals! I have to confess, I'm actually on season six of 'Pretty Little Liars'. 🙈 My grown self should be ashamed! But it inspired me to get to today's blog. I read a post from xoNecole about friendships. Titled, 'Types of Friends You Should Have In Your 30s', I reverted to my article about being in your 30s. In the blog I shared, " Friendships are like a Coca-Cola bottle, as you grow older you know that you will eventually be at the tip." Friendships are like a Coca-Cola bottle, as you grow older you know that you will eventually be at the tip. Watching season six of PLL, we find the 'girls' falling back into bad habits. I still can't fathom their loyalty to Alison DiLaurentis. They feel like they owe her yet it's her crazy relative who terrorised them all through high school. For young women who are supposed t...