Skip to main content

Winter ABC Day 2: Please Don't Wake Me Up!

Crowded House's "Don't dream it's over", constantly plays in my mind. It's clear that 80s pop music is the soundtrack to my life; all my life. Dreams are considered the subconscious playing out our innermost thoughts and desires. Most of my dreams could make great scripts for blockbusters.

Like Martin Luther King Jnr, I have a dream. My dream is an idealistic life with no poverty and pain. A life full of opportunities and growth.

In my dream life, I am standing by the window from a high raised building in New York city. It's my office. I am an influential shareholder in a major corporate. I am heading a multi media company that employs over 15,000 individuals across the globe. I am the BOSS!

I have just come out of an important board meeting. We are looking to put in major funding for a campaign focused on the youth.  We have to come up with a sure fire campaign that's as global as Coca-Cola's 'Open happiness' campaign. I have to dash off now. It's a date!

My man is just as busy as I am and we are intentional about making time for each other. He's so fine. Where do you find a successful black man, who puts money into other companies in New York? Well, I hit the jackpot. We have been in a committed relationship for the longest time. Because of our hectic schedules, we chose to wait to have children together. Instead he adopted my daughter and we got a big, fluffy dog. We live in a luxurious penthouse upper New York. It's modern yet has that touch of being at home.

We meet up for lunch at our favourite Italian restaurant. We catch up about the day so far and make plans for the evening. We always love bonding over food. In our spare time, we have been taking cooking lessons as a couple. At home, it's a family thing where everyone specialises in their favourite dish. Tonight's a bit different. Our daughter is off for a sleepover at friend's whilst we attend the Mayor's fundraising gala.

Lunch is over and we have to get  back to work. In a long, lingering kiss we say goodbye. Not so far from the Italian restaurant, I have an appointment for 2.30 p.m. It's time to get the youth involved in this campaign. Luckily my outfit says 'cool' and bless, my youthful looks. We are about to turn this world upside down, wait and see.

Later in the evening, my partner and I are rubbing shoulder with the big wigs in politics, corporate and social. I am dressed in a sexy David Tlale gown that oozes elegance. My whole wardrobe is styled and filled with African made clothes and shoes. With the shoes though, I am in love with my Manolos and Nike sportswear. I can't be earning six figures and not reward myself. This event is about networking and safeguarding strategic relationships.

The evening ends and so does my dream. I open my eyes for a little while, flip over my pillow. I smile. I just might continue with this dream. My dream is about my hardwork paying off financially and in its vision. I am in a relationship with a man that I am compatible with. We are building our lives and careers together. My daughter gets her American dream - of living in the USA. I have New York city!

"Hey now, hey now, don't dream it's over," Crowded House.

It's in the universe, just one breakthrough is all I need!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...