Skip to main content

Script My life: Brown Sugar

"Girl.He's a lil brownsugar!",a friend of mine said.Hey girl,you know me,I have got a sweet tooth.Brown sugar.Raw,sweet,gorgeously brown.I love brown sugar.Talking about brown sugar,today's MPV is about "brown sugar".

I always say that life is not a movie,but truth be told,if there is one movie that is close to reality,to be specific,my life,is my favourite movie "Brown Sugar".Y'all must have watched this epic black movie about two friends who fell in love with hip-hop and each other.With a great cast including Sanaa Lathan,as Sydney Shaw,the gorgeous Taye Diggs as Andre 'Dre' Ellis,Mos Def(whose music I was listening to this morning),the talented female MC,Queen Latifah,caramel adonis Boris Kodjoe and the beautiful Nicole Ari Parker,(who is defined in the movie as ''brown sugar'').

According to the movie,brown sugar means,"You know we all lookin for wifen material.A woman that's fine,smart,classy but not a snob.Hella hella sexy but not a hoe.That's brown sugar".Yep,pretty much sounds like me,brown sugar.(Y'all don't hate!).

Yes,right here,right now,I am Sydney Shaw,the writer,and there is a Dre out there,somewhere.But unlike the characters in the movie,Dre and I are barely childhood friends,and remotely far from being 'friends',at the moment.(Dre does not believe in friendship with the opposite sex).Anyhow,yes,I am in my own version of Brown Sugar.How you ask?

In the movie,Sid writes a book about her love for hip-hop,"I Used To Love H.I.M",but the twist is,hip-hop was personified.Hip-hop was Dre.I am also writing,three books actually,though I wont go into detail,but one of them is actually about music,(which is my first love),and how it has,and continues to influence my life.Taking your time to listen at the description of hip-hop,truly one falls in love with the music genre of hip-hop.Hey,the movie also has a great soundtrack.(I love Mos Def's "Brown Sugar(Extra Sweet)'' featuring Faith Evans),and great quotes,(if you are into taking lines from movies.)

It is a typical chick-flick,so at the end Dre realises that Sid is 'hip-hop' (first love),to him and goes to the radio station where Sid is having an interview with Angie Martinez about her book.Okay in my life,nothing dramatic like that is happening and I cannot really hold my breath,(though it would be pretty cool),but like Sid this is how I describe music in my book,"Music knows the right playlist even when I haven't spoken.I sometimes feel like music is secretly sending me a message,if I were to decipher each song lyric by lyric,it would be a letter."

"When did you fall in love with hip-hop?",Sid being asked during her radio interview-Brown Sugar.Ask me that question,my answer would be,"When I first met Music,it was like literally looking into my soul.Broken yet free,with a lot of lessons from the School of Life,and that youthfulness of living in Neverland.Music was a mixture of depth,mystery and adventure.It felt like Rock 'n' Roll with all its psychedelic notions.Music was schizophrenic but in a good way,fusing the different sounds,beats and mellodies.And then when it calmed down,the mood was all John Legend R&B,laidback and soulful...."

Brown sugar is not always about the ladies,if one finds that sweetness in a brotha,(ladies feel free),hey,it is about that common ground,that thing between two people that could draw them closer,'hip-hop'.So y'all go ahead and get yourselves that extra sweetness.

As for my script,well this is Dre's cue....."I Used To Love H.I.M.'(Still do,probably always will).....but I wont stop writing.This is my point of view.

P.S: Always write your own love story.

Ciao!

Lady E

Copyright [c] MPV by Lady E All Rights Reserved 2013

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...