Skip to main content

Winter ABC Day 27: 5 Qualities this Challenge Carved in Me

It's day 27 of the winter blogging challenge. I am just counting down the days. This challenge has truly been a challenge.

When I took up this challenge there were certain undesirable habits I wanted to break. My self esteem had been low when it came to my writing abilities. I needed something to prove myself.

It's been a long month but there's no trial without a lesson

1. Don't procrastinate

Life throws things at you that can pressure you to delay your passions. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak so you tell yourself, tomorrow. But what if tomorrow never comes and your greatest work was today? Through this challenge, I learnt to plan ahead. I told myself that it had to be done, right now, right here.

2. It gets harder before it gets better

The first days of the challenge were quite a breeze. The topics were ice breakers, light hearted and fun. Then mid way it became gruelling. The topics needed insight, facts, objectivity etc. I understand that it's my responsibility as a writer to disseminate the correct information to readers. Some days my phone battery would die on me whilst I was blogging. Other days I didn't have the data bundle to post the blog. And there were others where I was just not even in the mood. But it was a challenge. It was like that assignment that you have to hand in to your professor. Now we are towards the end and we'll,  the challenge is almost over. I learnt resilience from this experience.

3. Practice makes perfect

I have spent months in self doubt of my skills as a writer. This came due to my former employer who was constantly criticising my writing. Often I felt the criticism had condescension, "You can't write deep, intellectual content. You write fluff pieces often entertainment articles," is what I would decipher. Offended greatly was I, but it was my ego and esteem that received the most brutal blows from these comments. I asked myself, "how do I write the so called 'good English', 'business English', 'formal English'?" How do I write deep, intellectual topics that aren't fluff? To be honest, I flipped a middle finger. This challenge taught me that the more that I write, my content will improve. My writing is deep because it connects with my readers. It's intelligent because there's a lot of critical thinking occurring in putting together the blog article. Intelligence and depth aren't always determined by the use of big words. Politicians use big words in their speeches, but alas, the dumb decisions made on a daily basis! Fluff piece my @*#!

4. Share, share, share!

Sharing is caring and with this challenge all the bloggers are part of a community. It's one thing to write a blog post but distribution is crucial. Sharing the links to your blog post requires a lot of work. You are sharing on every platform found on the face of this earth. It's even more important to share fellow bloggers posts. By sharing you show support which in turn forms bonds and loyalty. After publishing a blog post, share like your money depends on it.

5. It's never too late to start

It took me three whole days to decide if I would take part in the winter blogging challenge. I was afraid and skeptical. It was the women within the group that I joined that subtly pushed me. I loved how they supported and encouraged each other. I loved the dedication. I looked up the topics and joined them on day 5. My blogs were all up to date. I learnt that it's not about when you start, it's just starting that matters. Everything else will fall into place. And it did.

I need more challenges that test my stamina. Let's research and see what else can we partake in for self improvement.

Challenge accepted!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

MPV.....my point of view!

Don't take anything personal because it's my point of view! But if you can relate, let's have this conversation. I began my journey with my point of view last year,however to give you a feel of my writing you can follow my facebook timeline for Elspeth Chimedza (my birth name). All my blogs are posts titled MPV....my point of view! The topics are: Single ladies        Coyote Ugly                                           Serendipity                                                               The Great expectations Script My life:Love Jones The Promise:When I Say I do! Stripped Single Ladies Part2 Swagger Like My Daddy Rated R Make It Work It's not you....maybe it's me Girl Power Stupid In l...