Skip to main content

Winter ABC Day 21: Don't Let My Opinions Stop You from Living!

I have never been a fan of mob psychology.

In an effort to fit in, I once summoned tears to trickle down as the rest of the form threes (10th graders), cried for an expelled senior. I was pathetic! I'm grateful that I'm an adult now. And I full embrace my stubborn nature to a fault. My opinions are like answering an A level history exam. I will weigh the pros and cons, and then come to a conclusion.

One very opinionated 'friend' of mine once commented, "You are far from basic! I actually like you because you are open minded." This coming from the same person who once called me a 'cow' who deserved the assholes that she dated. Yep!

Time and maturity has moved me from a one track mind. Instead of black and white, I see the world in the colours of the rainbow. Rarely, can any of us live as flat characters. Humanity is a little bit more complex than that. We draw circles with our personalities and general being.

I am here to stand by opinions often considered unpopular.

1. Tolerance

Racists, homophobes, tribalists, irk me to the core. Like what the hell is your problem? Why is humanity so obsessed with sameness? I am a very fussy individual who can't stand a lot of behaviours. Yet, I have learnt the art of tolerance. "Just because something isn't right for you, it doesn't make it wrong." You have the power to be the bigger person by minding your own business. Tolerance is minding your own business!

2. Abstinence

I was celibate for four and a half years, by choice. The idea of virginity, or celibacy are frowned upon. Popular culture doesn't support 'the wait'. But the wait can be the best thing in making life defining decisions. I respect delayed gratification and the process of emotional maturity. Too often we rush into sex which only leaves many of us broken, or tangled in sheets. I support the concept and intentional action of 'the wait'. I'm in the waiting room again, and this time, the consultant will have results!

3. Pro choice

What do you think about abortion? My body, my choice! What do you think about sex? My body, my choice! What do you think about nudity? My body, my choice! Mind you, I am not a feminist by any means. I am pro woman, pro choice. Society comes hard on a woman, yet few walk in her shoes. Yes walk in the heels, feel her period pain and birthing pangs. A woman should make her life choices based on her understanding of her life situation. Governments fail to run countries, yet we obsess over governing a woman's body and her choices. I don't wish struggling, single motherhood on anyone. I didn't abort, my choice! I love sex, but I'm celibate, my choice! I love nude nail polish, my choice! No woman should be forced to make her choices looking sideways. Her choices must come from deep inside herself!

4. Atheism

I'm often baffled by the obsession by religious individuals to have people share their faith. I am a full fledged Christian, but I don't need to convince someone else to believe. This line of thought is actually unpopular. I have the most stimulating conversations with atheists. I respect their point of view, yet I don't need to disgrace from my faith. God is a personal experience that can't be forced.

Opinions are personal although they can be shared communally. We don't have to all agree, but can agree to disagree. The notion of unpopular opinions is to always ask the question, 'why?' When you stop questioning, you stop learning.

What unpopular beliefs do you hold that challenge the status quo?

Always remember, that you can't grow with comfort. Try being uncomfortable!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E



Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

MTV VMA Review: Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly!

Yaaaas queen! Joy overwhelmed me by just watching Missy Elliott's MTV VMA performance. It's been 16 years since Missy last performed at the VMAs. That year, Missy was joined by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland, as they proved to us what genius looks like. Missy opened her performance with her latest single, "Throw It Back" before throwing fans back to her hits from yesteryear. She performed a medley that included 'The Rain', 'Get Ur Freak On', 'One Minute Man', 'Pass that Dutch' and 'Lose Control'. With each performance the 4-time Grammy winner invoked looks from each music video. She also reunited with dancer, actress and singer, Alyson Stoner, who remains a superb dancer. For those who aren't in the know, Alyson started dancing for Missy when she was a little girl. She became a staple in most of Missy's music videos. In 2015, Alyson paid tribute to the legend with a viral video of Missy's greatest hits. Missy...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...