Skip to main content

Pendulum...Time to Stop Swinging!

At that very moment you actually receive that closure that it's finally over...




You lay there, with a sigh of  relief because it was good whilst it lasted, but you are glad that it's over. There are certain things that you begin to intuitively feel and understand as you grow older or wiser. You move out of naivety or ideologies of the perfect relationship. You get to a place of realising that some relationships have good parts but don't last. And there are other bad relationships where the only thing that holds you together, is what's in between the sheets.

During a conversation with a friend, I asked him for his opinion about a relationship. His view of my 'situation' was that I was like a pendulum. It was a constant back and forth with this guy which in psychology is considered 'toxic'. My friend gave me advice athat I need to respect myself enough to demand stability from a relationship. The guy who comes into my life must anchor himself and make sure that the relationship finds itsrt strength and direction.

Yes, the pendulum! When you think about it, when you are in a pendulum 'relationship', it feels like you are under hypnosis. You go through the whole 'situationship' with Nina Simone's 'Spell on You' playing in the background. You go through the whole process always wondering "why in the hell do I keep getting back with this person?' There are more reasons why we keep breaking up than there are that we should be together.

In a soliloquy, you have stated why you shouldn’t be in a 'relationship' (for a lack of a better word) with this person. One of you, or none of you, wants to compromise. One of you, or both of you don't want to make it work. One of you is more committed and puts more effort. The other person keeps you in their hand like the joker card. They treat you as if you are desperate and clinging onto them for dear life. And maybe you are desperate and clingy! Or maybe, you are mature enough to understand that relationships are a lot of hard work. You just don't sulk or throw tantrums just because your partner isn't meeting your expectations.

But then again, maybe you are trying to fill a void with this person and that's why you keep swinging.

The common ground when it comes to pendulum relationships is sex. Do'this even roll your eyes at me! Why else would one go back and forth? Everything else might be toxic but what happens in between the sheets is insatiable. That's why the 'couple' often finds themselves in their own telenovela. It's dramatic with the fighting and breaking up. It's exciting when they make up, experiencing a euphoria thanks to adrenaline and oxytocin. But for the one person who is emotionally invested, they will feel lost. It's like being a spirit in purgatory. They are constantly in limbo. In English it's called confusion,  and as a fully formed adult, you ought not to be 'confused'.

So when does the swinging like a pendulum stop? When you decide to have an out of body experience and check out. The moment that your mind leaves your body and situation, you realise that you cannot keep that boomerang effect no more. Your check out is your reality check and moment of truth. The swinging makes you dizzy and the spell is eventually broken.

In a video on the As/Is YouTube channel, a video highlights how some relationships end. The best way to end a pendulum relationship is with a bang...literally. The same thing that you used to consumate your relationship,is what puts things assunder. That one common thing that kept you in that pendulum state puts it to a halt.

Then you lay there, with a sigh of  relief, knowing that this is actually the end.  You watch your own body walk out of the door with no signs of returning. You can start afresh and find stability.

At that very moment you actually receive that closure that it's finally over...

No more going and back and forth...
   
The pendulum has stopped swinging.

P.S. : Always write your own love story!

Lady E

Ciao!


Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...