Skip to main content

The Thin Line

'Because he is a very good....', oh no uncle, let us not even go there. Now I understand some of the things DMX was talking about in his poem,'The Industry'. I guess it is the same everywhere around the world. Cut throat!



It is one thing to be talented,and it is another to have your talent(s) exposed and making something of yourself.As an individual,you want to pursue something that you are passionate about;you are very good at,and probably you have theoretical knowledge of it and make something out it. (Earn a living). You also want to be taken seriously,earn and commend respect from different people.That is when one learns about professionalism.

Professionalism according to the Oxford dictionary,it is the competence or skill expected of a professional.In another definition, it is the conduct,aims,or qualities that characterize or mark a profession or a professional person.And my definition. Professionalism is that thin line between having to suck up to or tolerate,an individual,or individuals you can't bare to breathe the same air with,or acting out on your thoughts of those people.

In my journey,I have learnt that not everyone likes to see an individual who is either talented,or hardworking,or both,having a vision and ambition of leaving a mark on the world.So those people will ensure that you never get to where you want to be.(Dream detractors).

If they are not closing doors for you,they are stealing your ideas,or worse still,humiliating you.It is either you steal,bribe or sleep with someone to get ahead,(that is if you are even lucky enough).The industry.At this moment I stand corrected,I do not want to shoot myself in the foot.(You do not shit where you eat,unless you can stomach eating your shit).

Funny enough,this country is big enough for each and every one of us to make it.Compared to other African countries,we are really legging behind,it's not even funny.(We still have a long,long way to go).Competition is good,but this business of putting each other down,y'all it is not right.It is worse when an individual is in a position of decision making,or power,and does not uplift or empower others who are working their way up the ladder.

So here I am,with one of the many people who could 'help' me get to where I want to be,but 'we' do not see eye to eye.(Mostly on their part).I am professional.I might not like you,but if there is work to be done,or a goal to be achieved,let work be done.Personal issues,feelings,disagreements aside.Everybody wants to be a 'somebody',and have bread on the table at the end of the day.

Respect the next individual,and give acknowledgement for the talent they have,and the achievements they are making.Give due credit to individuals' workmanship.Mentor.Promote.Support.

I have witnesses who can bear testimony that I do give others opportunities, (yes,at the level that I am at). The next person's success is my success,(better yet,if I am part of the process). So when I do get there, y'all know,that I will be lifting others up,free of charge. (Just your hard work,co-operation and commitment).

So what does one do when they have detractors? Be strategic. Make powerful and influential alliances.It is not a war,but at times you have to fight for your dreams.

Professionalism.It is a thin line.....

P.S: Always write your own love story.

Ciao!

Lady E

Copyright[c] MPV by Lady E All Rights Reserved 2013

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...