Skip to main content

Winter ABC Day 14: 5 Africans Who Inspire Me

I told you that this week is awesome!

I love Africa! I love the people even more! I love our diversity in skin tones. I love our various languages that include clicks, coughs and long syllables. Our traditions may differ but they are somewhat intertwined. Africa isn't just the cradle of mankind. It is the stew pot of talent, intelligence and creativity.

I procrastinated for a long time about writing about my African inspirations. With this challenge I have the opportunity to take action. My top 5 list includes creatives from various genres of media, arts and entertainment. As a creative myself,  I incline naturally towards those who are like myself. It is true that, 'birds of the same feather, flock together,' and away do I fly with the eagles.

Without further due, below are the 5 Africans who inspire me.

1. Bonang Matheba

Did you know that Bonang Matheba and I were born a week and a half apart in 1987? Now you know! I live vicariously through queen B!  She is my benchmark when it comes to female, African media moguls. I fell in love with her sprite-like yet authoritative presence when she was the host of SABC 1's, 'Live'. Since then, I have followed both her career and personal life. I literally grow up with Bonang. Like me, she's a Cancerian - so I relate to most of her actions. An intelligent business woman, with an infectious personality, Bonang Matheba is the ultra, modern African feminist. She lives by her own rules yet understands how to impact people with her brand. When I grow up, I will be Bonang Matheba.

2. Trevor Noah

To me, he's husbae, (dans ma réve!) While we discuss the 'daywalker's' attractiveness, I'm actually drawn to his witty humour and intelligence. But that's not what makes him my inspiration. Trevor Noah has a unique story which he penned down in the award winning autobiography, 'Born A Crime.' He is one of Africa's most prized exports. He is the host of the most coveted talk show in the USA. Imagine a mixed race man from South Africa taking over 'The Daily Show'? I respect his ability to assimilate into American culture and politics. He has shown flexibility and that he's well READ! His skills have been rewarded with nominations and accolades including NAACP awards. I would pay for a masterclass by Trevor Noah. The topic: 'How to penetrate the international market as an African.'

3. Danai Gurira

I have been rooting for Danai Gurira forever! I recall arguing with people about Zimbabweans in the diaspora to celebrate. I was team Danai all the way. I knew of Danai as a playwright through my grand uncle, who is a playwright himself. Her work gave me goals and when I then saw the buzz around her as she cast in, 'The Walking Dead', I was sold. Kudos to her being a melanin queen kicking ass in Hollywood. In an industry where colourism is predominant, she hasn't bleached her skin. Danai is kicking down doors and shooting for the stars in her natural skin. She's my ideal, standard of black beauty - CONFIDENT.  She is definitely black girl magic! She’s made history so far in her career. In 2016, she made Broadway history with her play, 'Eclipsed'. The play had an all black, female cast while the crew was all female. In 2018, she was the first black, female actress to win the 'Best Superhero' award at the People’s Choice awards. As an activist, she was named a UN ambassador. I hope to be privy of queen Danai, be it a one-to-one interview with her, or to shadow her as a writer, actress and activist.

4. Fela Kuti

Before AKA dressed, 'Fela in Versace', or Wizkid, or D'banj, we had Fela Kuti. Father to entertainer, Femi  Kuti, Fela is G.O.A.T (greatest of all times). The Nigerian legend was eccentric, a total rock star and an activist. He wasn't just an entertainer, he challenged the status quo. He is the forefather of Afro beats as well as Afro Pop music. Fela inspires me to step out and speak out. The man, the music and the African in the late legend shows a powerful side of not only Nigerian history, but the continent at large.

5. Stephen Chifunyise

When my professional writing and spoken word career began, I wanted to build my name on my own merit. Fortunately, I have created my own lane. Now, I can openly speak about the influential forces supporting my work. Behind the scenes, I have been blessed to have my grand uncle, Stephen Chifunyise to cheer me on. Affectionately known as uncle Steve, he has been instrumental in the development of Zimbabwean literature, arts and culture. He is the founder of the Children's Performing Arts Workshop (CHIPAWO). The platform has groomed several talented creatives whilst preserving our cultural heritage. Uncle Steve is part of many boards that spearhead and promote cultural exchanges between Zimbabwe and the world. He has worked with Culture Fund, NAMA,  and HIFA, to name but a few. We can thank him and Davis Guzha for Theatre in the Park, located at the Harare Gardens. They created a legacy for theatre. An award winning playwright and author, Uncle Steve is loved by the vazukurus  (grandchildren). He is a great storyteller who upholds oral tradition. On this list, I am blessed that he's one famous person that I know, (and related to). I carry the legacy of the reading and writing culture clearly through my DNA. I am encouraged to be the best writer that I can be because I am endorsed by one of the greatest writers. Stephen Chifunyise isn't just my inspiration, he's my hero! (Sheds a tear).

Past, present and future, Africa is in good hands. My top 5 are individuals who invested time and passion before reaching out to other nations. I hope that the Africans that inspire you, rouse action for you to be great!

Live to inspire and let God take you higher!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

MTV VMA Review: Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly!

Yaaaas queen! Joy overwhelmed me by just watching Missy Elliott's MTV VMA performance. It's been 16 years since Missy last performed at the VMAs. That year, Missy was joined by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland, as they proved to us what genius looks like. Missy opened her performance with her latest single, "Throw It Back" before throwing fans back to her hits from yesteryear. She performed a medley that included 'The Rain', 'Get Ur Freak On', 'One Minute Man', 'Pass that Dutch' and 'Lose Control'. With each performance the 4-time Grammy winner invoked looks from each music video. She also reunited with dancer, actress and singer, Alyson Stoner, who remains a superb dancer. For those who aren't in the know, Alyson started dancing for Missy when she was a little girl. She became a staple in most of Missy's music videos. In 2015, Alyson paid tribute to the legend with a viral video of Missy's greatest hits. Missy...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...