Skip to main content

Winter ABC Day 20: 5 Books Everyone Should Read

Welcome to the book club. Reading is a great past time. The culture has declined though due to the progression of technology. But those of us who would rather flip a page, than read on a gadget, books remain that best friend.

I have been pushing myself to read at least three books a month. Most successful people read five or more. Books open one's mind, improve language, offer various topics of discussion as well as points of reference. A person of substance isn't stuck on Facebook; they are enriching themselves with bestsellers.

My top 5 picks are good reads that I have read and reviewed. Most of the picks are self improvement reads but that's the point - improving thy self.

1. No More Sheets by Juanita Bynum

This is a biographical entry by singer and minister of the word, Juanita Bynum. She shares in detail painful yet relatable personal experiences of heartbreak. Sheets are metaphorical of the baggage that comes with premarital sex, fornication and adultery. A very unlikely read for the world today but the book is for those looking to heal from the pain of heartbreak and rejection. If you are looking to be loosed from his/her mistakes pick up 'No More Sheets' and begin your healing process.

2. Rich dad, Poor dad by Robert Kiyosaki

What makes the rich wealthy is mentality. There are habits that poor people have that rich people refuse to have. Guy Kawasaki takes the reader through financial literacy. The book looks at perceptions towards money by contrasting characters: the rich dad and the poor dad. If you want to understand why certain families live a line of long money or you want to break the chains of poverty through a mental shift, then pick up this book.

3. A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer

I read this book soon after giving birth. When I put my little one to sleep, I would flip through the pages. This heart-rending read is the testimony of a survivor of child abuse. The author was abused for most of his childhood by his own mother. She dehumanised her own son to the point of nothingness hence the reference to being an 'it'. This book evokes anger, fear, sadness but also reaches a point of hope at the end of the book. Just keep your tissues beside you. If you have children, hug and kiss them with love.

4. The Borgias by Sarah Bradford

If you love scandal, tragedy and Renaissance literature The Borgias is the book for you. The book looks at a noble Spanish family trying to take over Renaissance-era Italy.  Greed and power are the main trajectories of the novel. We also find incest, betrayal and murder. I read this book when I was ten years old. I revised it again in my teens. In my adulthood, I have watched the film and theatre adaptations. Once you start you won't be able to put it down.

5. Waiting for the Rain by Charles Mungoshi

This list would not be complete without one of my favourite Zimbabwean novels. Waiting for the Rain by the late Charles Mungoshi is a great examination of the effects of colonialism in the African home. There are conflicts between African traditions and euro centric culture including education, religion and even mannerisms. The novel has been a set book for O and A level students for years. This book is special to me because it evoked the poet in me and birthed my writing. Add this book to your Zimbabwe greatest of all times collection.

Ernest Hemingway once said, "A book is your most loyal friend."

READ!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...