Skip to main content

Winter ABC Day 24: Every Human Right, Is Right!

Every Human Right, Is Right!

Mankind has developed over the last century yet the issue of human rights remains a sore subject. The fact that #blacklivesmatter, #MeToo or #lovewins rose in this last decade,  is proof that not all human beings have attained equal human rights.

Equal rights means that every human being is entitled to security, education, and comfortable living standards without discrimination. Access to clean water, food, shelter and protection by the law are fundamental rights. So why is it in 2019, we are still tackling issues of racism and gay rights?

Several factors fall into place, mostly the issues of governance in different parts of the world. Prejudices fuelled by traditions and religion play a part in perpetuating racism and homophobia.

I concur with Trevor Noah, who stated that for as long as there are racists, racism doesn't end. Racism is a mental state that is generational. The cycle can only end if a generation chooses to change their prejudices and complexes.

I remember my own experience with racism. I was only seven years old.

The experience did not scar me, but opened my eyes. I'm 'woke' due to that experience. Children's honesty is to a fault, a virtue that can become cruel. Children are a reflection of their parents and what they are taught. If a child is taught that black people are ugly, dirty and stupid, guess what, they will project that. Being the only black girl in my class became a nightmare when the other kids didn't want to be a centimetre, close to me. I remember one girl, saying that the class doesn't like me because I am dirty, and I shouldn't come near them. Yes, that happened to me, but I guess returning to Africa soothed that pain.

In my adulthood, I have watched Caucasians belittle black people in often subtle ways. In one  conversation with an older, white woman, she asked me why I knew so much about the 'world'. I explained that I travelled a lot because my father was a diplomat. Her response, "Oh, so you are one of the exposed ones." Wow!

Racism is a virus! It's treatment will take a long time to undo. As a black, African woman, my role is to safeguard my blackness. I can only teach my children the wisdom of black empowerment. When I do get married, I can only reassure my black 'king' that he is enough in a world system that tries to destroy him. I can only educate my non-black associates,  and perhaps friends, about their privileges, cultural appropriation and how to be an ally to the plight of the black person, or people of colour.

And no, black people can never be racist!

In terms of gay rights, let me quote my gay friend. "If you have so much time to be analysing who is sleeping with who, or who they love, then honey, you don't have a life. Get one!"

Prejudices and systems of oppression such as racism and homophobia can be dealt with through education. Yes, instead of teaching generations about square roots, or correct grammar, teach children acceptance and diversity. There is hope for the next generation if respect of other cultures is taught to prevent appropriation. We need to step out of our fears and ignorance and choose tolerance.

I don't believe in the superiority complex of any race, gender, sexual orientation or even position. If you require a blood transfusion and the colour of that blood is red, then you are a human being.

Every human right, is right!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

MTV VMA Review: Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly!

Yaaaas queen! Joy overwhelmed me by just watching Missy Elliott's MTV VMA performance. It's been 16 years since Missy last performed at the VMAs. That year, Missy was joined by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland, as they proved to us what genius looks like. Missy opened her performance with her latest single, "Throw It Back" before throwing fans back to her hits from yesteryear. She performed a medley that included 'The Rain', 'Get Ur Freak On', 'One Minute Man', 'Pass that Dutch' and 'Lose Control'. With each performance the 4-time Grammy winner invoked looks from each music video. She also reunited with dancer, actress and singer, Alyson Stoner, who remains a superb dancer. For those who aren't in the know, Alyson started dancing for Missy when she was a little girl. She became a staple in most of Missy's music videos. In 2015, Alyson paid tribute to the legend with a viral video of Missy's greatest hits. Missy...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...