Skip to main content

Winter ABC Day 13: How Blogging is Pacing the African Narrative

This week has been so exciting for me during the challenge. I'm grinning from one ear to the other about sharing my biggest passion - Africa. You need to dissect my brain and see the ideas percolating through it. It's all about Africa! Telling the African story, reshaping and rebuilding Africa, as well as making Africa great.

On the subject of telling African stories, did you know that there are thousands of bloggers across the continent? African millennials and centennials are publishing most of these blogs. The blogs vary from political activism, citizen journalism, to lifestyle and entertainment. The continuous purchasing of smart mobile phones allows Africans to create and access stories from their phones. Many bloggers like myself have blogging applications such as WordPress,  Blogger, Tumblr, or Medium, according to preference. One can blog by the bus stop, in between class breaks, or when their laptop is inaccessible.

The 17% and 38% internet penetration in North and Sub-Saharan Africa respectively, has not deterred the continuous growth of African bloggers. As indicated in a previous blog, we as a continent are still lagging behind in affordable and easily  available internet. In spite of these hurdles, the resilient African continues to press on and disseminate information. Recently an online platform ranked the top 100 music blogs in Africa. South Africa and Nigeria dominate the list with the most blogs. Due to cheaper data tariffs, Kenya joins the two when it comes to having a large number of blogs.

Entertainment and news blogs are the most dominant on the continent. Fashion and lifestyle blogs are slowly merging in the blogging sphere. Due to the need to share recipes for African cuisines, food blogs are also fast rising. Millennial mothers seeking tips on new age parenting have their own community. Beauty trends are an obsession in Africa hence make-up artists, utilise the blogging space to market themselves. Many businesses are taking advantage of blogs to establish networks and trade across the continent. Other businesses are positioning themselves as thought leaders in their respective industries through blogging.

Zimbabwe isn't far off on the blogging sphere. The community is small but clearly big enough to have bloggers awards. As few have garnered visibility to gain advertisers. Some have even won awards locally and regionally. Several host workshops and masterclasses to train individuals and corporates about blogging. Fashion bloggers are Instagram sensations, receiving double taps and verifications through their numbers. In turn, blogging is becoming a viable business.

Corporates are slowly viewing  bloggers as influencers to their target audience. We are not yet at the level of our Western counterparts who can live completely off blogging. Most bloggers in Africa have nine to five jobs. Dedicated bloggers use their salaries to invest in tools to improve their blogs.

We still have a long way to go but the journey is worth it. Africans are having conversations around evolving subjects that affect them. Africa is worth marketing to the rest of the world. Expansion of blogging on the continent is inevitable. With the correct structures implemented, we are looking at a gold mine.

African bloggers, write up and be heard!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

Are You Miss Bare Minimum?

You are worth the ICE! Intention. Commitment. Effort. Y'all, this is my proof of life. It's been a minute. It's been a tumultuous season, and I guess that I'm not the only one. I am glad though, that I am here to pour out and into you. You've always understood me. And then P!nk's 'Mizunderstood' becomes a backtrack to this conversation. But that's a conversation for another day. A nous allez! Bonjour, bonjour mes amies! Comment allez-vous? I'm taking it one day at a time. Picture this: you’re on a date, and instead of engaging in conversation, your date is glued to his phone, replying to texts that are definitely not from you. Or maybe he’s the ‘textationship’ king, flooding your screen with emojis but never making time for an actual face-to-face meeting. Now this is a good one, he's the convenience pro who gets to see you and spend time with you within his vicinity, and not outside his capacity. Now what do we call that *taps head thinking*...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...