Skip to main content

Winter ABC Day 8: Beauty Behind the Madness of Technology

The discussion on technology feels like any debate. Before I dive in let me use my brother's words, "Each to their own."

It's an interesting follow up to the previous article about my favourite apps. Today I share my thoughts on the machine that's running the world. (Obviously girls run the world, we don't argue with Queen Bey!)

As I am typing this almost 40% of the world's population is online. The internet has literally made the world a village. Technology on the world wide web replaced the post office, slowly replacing print media and has created a subculture within human cultures.

We have communities and groups on Facebook. We have digital fan clubs for literally everything from comic books to movies to celebrities, hey Swifties. Hash tags bond human beings for their rights for example #feesmustfall, #blacklivesmatter and #lovewins. This is thanks to the 40 hours a week spent on the web by individuals.

Apart from socialising technology fast tracked and decompressed life. We moved from floppy disks to flash disks and hard drives. Why buy a vinyl, cassette or CD when you can stream music? Not to mention I don't need to make a call for a cab or pizza because there's an app that simplifies that. Mobile phones deserve their own hall of fame. Gen Y and previous generations experienced what was called a landline and payphones. Thinking of it feels like centuries ago. Mobile phones are the best friend that's with you everywhere.

Let us not forget ATMs, CCTV, microwaves, CGI and even satellite dish a.k.a cable television. Technology needs a hero status. It has changed lives and perceptions of the world around us.

Justin Timberlake sang, "Ayo, I'm tired of using technology," followed by lyrics suggesting that neither sexting or Skype intimacy was going to work. When we think of it, we are all now socially awkward individuals in this IT age. People don't ask for dates, they slide into DMs. Few make effort at working on relationships because an emoji will do the trick. Not to mention how families barely talk to each other because everyone is on the phone. Exhibit A...

Yes that's my family at brunch. How intimate? The fact that most of us have nine to fives and even overtime on the Internet, according to researchers, predisposes us to mental health issues. Over the past few years, researchers have found that individuals who use the internet were likely to suffer from narcissism, and depression amongst other mental health problems. These are precipitated by the need to meet expectations because on the Internet 'looking poor and ugly are a choice.'

The other side effects and disadvantages of the internet include hacking, lack of privacy, cyber bulling and increased dangers of crime. Other research states that human beings are lazier, less healthy (microwaved food causes cancer) and have short attention span. In Frey and Osborne 2013 research, their study revealed that roughly 47% of total US employment is at risk from computerisation. So I Robot isn't just a film, but a possible reality.


In its reliability technology is also unreliable electrical power cuts, trojan horses and Internet shutdowns can make the world stop.

After writing of somewhat an essay, my conclusion is take a vacation.

Unplug your life for a week, read a book, watch, enjoy the sunset with your mind taking the photographs.

The best moments happen IRL!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trĂ©s bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

MTV VMA Review: Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly!

Yaaaas queen! Joy overwhelmed me by just watching Missy Elliott's MTV VMA performance. It's been 16 years since Missy last performed at the VMAs. That year, Missy was joined by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland, as they proved to us what genius looks like. Missy opened her performance with her latest single, "Throw It Back" before throwing fans back to her hits from yesteryear. She performed a medley that included 'The Rain', 'Get Ur Freak On', 'One Minute Man', 'Pass that Dutch' and 'Lose Control'. With each performance the 4-time Grammy winner invoked looks from each music video. She also reunited with dancer, actress and singer, Alyson Stoner, who remains a superb dancer. For those who aren't in the know, Alyson started dancing for Missy when she was a little girl. She became a staple in most of Missy's music videos. In 2015, Alyson paid tribute to the legend with a viral video of Missy's greatest hits. Missy...