Skip to main content

Winter ABC Day 6: Thank You Carrie Bradshaw

Who knew that a TV show would be the reason that I intentionally speak my mind?




You can learn nothing from television they say. TV makes you dumb! Oh well, maybe so, however one television show was the match for this wildfire. My older sister pulled her hair out when she found out that my young sister and I were watching Sex and the City. Amongst her collection of video cassettes, she had a box set of the guilty pleasure, Sex and the City. The age guide was no under 21; I was 17 and my younger sibling was way too young.

You are telling yourself that these adolescents were mischievous, maybe. I believe we were curious and adventurous. I was obsessed with pop culture with the hopes of one day being Lala Vasquez on TRL or hosting E! News. From my collection of People magazine I had read so much about the cast of Sex and the City. There were mentions of the cast members of the hit show in particular Sarah Jessica Parker.

SJP as she's affectionately known, played the lead role of the protagonist Carrie Bradshaw. Carrie was a column writer living in New York city. Her column was about life in New York, love and careers through the experiences of herself and her three friends. Many were the escapades of Carrie, Samantha, Miranda and Charlote. Because you are reading this, clearly you are old enough to watch the reruns of STC so I won't go into detail of the plot line.

Why did I start blogging? Carrie Bradshaw. I was twenty something, newly employed, single and trying to raise my child. Realising the reality of how adulting sucks,  I needed to channel my frustrations. I needed a diary that everyone would read. I had just experienced one of my many misfortunes with males on the dating scene and I wanted him to read (if he cared to), about what I thought about him. I remembered how Carrie would write about her trials in her relationship with Mr Big. This brought me comfort that I could do the same and hopefully in the future get paid for it.

I was aiming for that column in a prestigious magazine more so online. Imagine how many people from around the world would be reading 'My Point of View by Lady E'? Imagine the responses from readers and how they would share their own stories inspired by the column? Yes, I imagined it! I blogged it.

So where is Carrie Bradshaw in the script of my life? No column yet in a prestigious publication. The upside, I do get paid to blog, just not for 'My Point of View.' But I thank the stylish, at times dramatic and often love challenged New York writer who shared her life with he readers. Her character inspired a recluse to step out and speak her mind, one font at a time.


Today here is my word to anybody who wants to blog...

Just start!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

Auld Lang Syne ... Maybe Not All the Time

Sometimes the end is a new beginning!  It's a new year! To be more precise, the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-two. According to the Hebrew calendar the year is 5782.  The crossover into 2022 was particularly dull due to the curfew. When we say that the pandemic is a buzzkill, the sentiment is real. As a staunch believer in the saying, "How you leave is how you enter," I often enjoy spending my time in church. The service prior to the countdown often invigorates my faith. Praying and seeding on the first day of the 365 or 366 is comforting. Unfortunately, the authorities ensured that the gathering of the saints wouldn't happen on their watch. We had to sit and watch the livestream from home. As the new year came, I started to think of the song synonymous with the new year. Auld Lang Syne. Based on the 18th century Scottish song, the words read: Should Old Acquaintance be forgot, and never thought upon; The flames of Love extinguished, and fully past a...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...