Skip to main content

Winter ABC Day 15: Addressing AU Leaders

Teach us to pray to our ancestors and lead us to the days of glory ahead of us. 

Good day, ladies and gentlemen.

For the first time in the history of the African Union, a millennial stands in front of you. I am not only representing generation Y, but generation Z and later generations.

On this podium, I am addressing a generation that is the proverbial dried animal skin. You have seen and experienced so much that you are so set in your ways. You have achieved doctorates and somewhat earned experience through the school of life. From you, we expect wisdom.However, true wisdom comes through legacies and generations. Like our totems, we need the verses in the poetry to continue as we tell the stories of our people. We need to have a legacy of wealth and stories that gives us pride. Sadly, as I look across this room, our elderly have fallen short of the pride of our rich ancestry. Who among you can say that you have resurrected the empires of Kush, Rozvi, or Asante? Which of you are warriors like Queen Amina, or Shaka Zulu, Shango, Ann Nzingha, Yaa Asantewa, or Samouri Toure? I will give you only one second because almost half a century of my generation's time and the future generation's has been wasted.

My address today is to wake you up from your slumber. My generation has always been woke. We have been awake since the day we came into the world and felt the African sun. We have been awake since the time that we could utter words in our mother tongues and even in the languages of foreigners. We have been awake ever since we realised that the only green that we want is that of the motherland. Because in the proverbial experience, the child of an African king is a pauper elsewhere. Despite your perceptions, we are more proud to be African than anyone else. The world continues to appropriate our culture and even loot our resources through you. Yet you blame us for the loss of our very identity. We understand that you had no examples of African predecessors prior to independence. Let us break those chains of divide and rule amongst our kin. Let us return to the leadership, livelihood, and religion of our ancestors. Remember the pre-colonial and slave eras in Africa. That is the Africa that we desire.

I have a dream of an Africa beyond the imagination of Marvel's Wakanda. In an Africa where there is technological advancement through our own resources, Actually, we own our resources. Africa is not a country, but through Ubuntu it could be. We are neighbours and families that raise our children in a communal and respectful environment. We should never ask for donations because we take care of our own. May there never be a hungry man, woman, or child.

I have a dream that our kraals are packed, we have plenty of grain, and our forests are fruitful. May we have foresight like Joseph, who in Egypt helped prepare for the seven years of less. We need to be prepared for any and every disaster. May there never be a stranger who sleeps outside in the dark or in the rain. We ought to build enough shelters and enough rooms for guests.

May there not be blood shed due to xenophobia or crime. We might be different shades of black, but I am still African. My tongue may click or twist differently to yours, but I am still you, African. May our cousins in the diaspora, the descendants of slavery, stamp their passports to return to the motherland. They will be cradled in their mother's arms. They will feel right at home because all they see is themselves—African.

I have a dream that my daughter and my son, in my belly, will inherit pieces of land. that they may contribute to the gross domestic product as well My generation will leave land, possessions, and oral tradition to their great-grandchildren, unto the fourth generation. May their portion be oil wells, diamond mines, dams, and farms. Not just a portion, but their inheritance.

We are inventing every day, like our ancestors in Egypt. Like them, we too write books and tell our stories. Like the San, we are hunters and gatherers, but we call it hustling. We want to make it onto the Forbes billionaire list before 30. Train successors so that we can retire at most at 45. We want to start and build businesses that aren't destroyed by unfair taxes and corrupt policies. Our start-ups deserve room to grow and thrive.

As I stand here, I am more than just a dreamer but an implementer. I am speaking on behalf of 63% of the African youth. This dream that I shared belongs to Dagim, Olumatu, Amarachi, Weza, Xolani, Tendai, Fateema, and Johanne. We call Africa home. We don't want to flee from our home. We want to continue to build and furnish our home. A home that many will visit and feel welcome to. This is our Africa.

Thank you.
P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E


Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trĂ©s bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...