Skip to main content

It's Your Own Race, Stay In Your Lane

You might miss out on enjoying what's around you because you're rushing to the infinite finish line!


Black man running


I'm exhausted at this moment! Some days I kick myself for having missed opportunities due to pride or naïvety. At times I suffer from FOMO like the rest of our generation as I scroll down my Instagram timeline. I think my LinkedIn makes me feel worse, as I fall short on qualifications. But as I write this, I know that I'm not where I used to be. I worked damn hard - walking, getting sunburnt, looking disheveled, sleepless nights, and no social life. I'm nowhere near halfway to where I really want to be, but the pandemic has taught me to 'count it all joy.'

So why do I continuously feel the pressure 'to be'?

Tu ne comprends pas la question?

It seems that everywhere I go, people are suffering from the “hustle culture” pandemic. By hustle culture, I mean the collective urge we currently seem to feel as a society to work harder, stronger, faster.(Then Daft Punk starts playing in my head before transitioning to Kanye's 'Stronger'. To grind and exert ourselves at our maximum capacity, every day, and accomplish our goals and dreams at a lightning speed that matches the digital world we’ve built around ourselves.

There's a certain man, let's call him Iago (inspired by Othello). Iago is smooth, he knows how to push buttons. Now they aren't all positive but he's so good, you'd deem him a chess player. I once had a sit down with him, and I didn't feel great after that. He showed off his portfolio and name dropped his network. He stated that I don't work hard enough! I'm doing the black woman lean as I write this. Do not work hard enough! Que?

While I love to be challenged, n***@ don't know me from a bar of soap. To actually get to a place where I have my own office, I've worked damn hard. He wasn't there when I would had a pair of high heels in my handbag, to make an impression to get noticed. He wasn't there when I slaved to design a whole magazine and publish the first issue. He wasn't there when I would walk halfway across town to catch public transport home. The times that I stood by corners to get WiFi connection so that I could create and post content online. And he doesn't know what I still go through. I'm overworked and underpaid, yet I know that where I am is a means to an end.

Degage!

I will say that hustle culture is toxic. It's also disrespectful to every nine to five and blue collar trade. Even the Creator had a day of rest. Why are we these people who put so much pressure to succeed. Actually we have a warped sense of what success looks like. It's taken me over five years to scale up my salary. And this happened in between every job that I had. I have a business that hasn't made any revenue yet, but the team and I are building momentum. In the words of Kathryn Budih, "Take your time. There's no rush to be good or renowned." 

We love to microwave success but even the greats and  captains of industry will tell you their journey. Those journeys include a lot of failures, brokenness, some homelessness, others rejection. It wasn't easy. And it will never be easy. Didn't we learn anything from the pandemic? Sometimes slowing down is the best way

The important thing is to take your time and not get stressed.
Diane von Furstenberg
Let those who enslave themselves to the faux capitalism do so. They can show off their trips to Greece, selfies with the who's who and wear all the trendy labels in the world. Remember that on social media, it's a choice to be poor or ugly. Take everything with a grain of salt. Your race isn't against the next person, it's with yourself. Remember that the level that you are at is way better than where you were in previous periods. "Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking, "Steve Jobs.
Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. 
Steve Jobs
You might miss out on enjoying what's around you because you're rushing to the infinite finish line!
Stay in your lane, run your own race and in time, you will get the prize.
Stay strong!
P.S.: Always write your own love story!
Lady E
Ciao!




Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Auld Lang Syne ... Maybe Not All the Time

Sometimes the end is a new beginning!  It's a new year! To be more precise, the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-two. According to the Hebrew calendar the year is 5782.  The crossover into 2022 was particularly dull due to the curfew. When we say that the pandemic is a buzzkill, the sentiment is real. As a staunch believer in the saying, "How you leave is how you enter," I often enjoy spending my time in church. The service prior to the countdown often invigorates my faith. Praying and seeding on the first day of the 365 or 366 is comforting. Unfortunately, the authorities ensured that the gathering of the saints wouldn't happen on their watch. We had to sit and watch the livestream from home. As the new year came, I started to think of the song synonymous with the new year. Auld Lang Syne. Based on the 18th century Scottish song, the words read: Should Old Acquaintance be forgot, and never thought upon; The flames of Love extinguished, and fully past a...