Skip to main content

When The Door Shuts But There's No Closure

Let this be the last time that I am stupid in love!

To quote Bob Marley, 'The biggest coward of a man, is to awaken the love of a woman without the intention of loving her.' No intentions are still intentions and usually cruel intentions.

I'm a bitter woman. I'm mad as hell. How did I let that ugly mother****er make me look stupid? Little did I know that I was just setting myself up to feeling dumb and dumber. I'm a clown!

So I took the step and reached out to him to get closure. I needed to gather my thoughts and emotions so that I could speak to him calmly. Parce que IRL, I'm on that Lemonade Beyoncé woman scorned level.

The initial call that I made, he blew me off. So I took defeat. However, he called back an hour later and the conversation came. My biggest question was 'Why?'. Why pursue me when you already had someone else whom you wanted to give what I myself wanted. Marriage! What was your intention and outcome from all this? I reiterate that I made my intentions very clear with him from the word go. I remember that the first day that we met, I was looking for a husband. But in hindsight, the biggest red flag was the first day that he and I met.

When someone shows you who they are, believe them. Dr Maya Angelou.

He didn't give me clear answers. What I concluded is from what he did say and that aligned with his actions. He made it clear how he felt about me. Es una serpiente de corazón frío. There's no romanticism about the relationship or him.

What was the purpose for this conversation?

Accountability! For every action there are repercussions. If you claim, or say that you care about someone you don't choose to hurt them. According to the Webster's Dictionary, accountability is: "the obligation or willingness to accept responsibility for one's actions." Accountability is a sign of maturity. I believe that a gentleman always has integrity. Integrity is a character quality that one chooses. Integrity is the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles.

Asking for accountability on my part means I care enough for your personal growth. We are allowed to verbalise how we expect and want to be treated by the people we love. It is a simple, human expectation. Accountability means emotional intelligence as well. Simply put, apply the golden rule.

I believe that I deserved the truth, no matter how much it would hurt. Sadly the one who loves the most, gets hurt the most and is at the greatest loss. I referred to Jordin Sparks', 'Was I the Only One' off her 2009 album 'Battlefield'.

Was I the only one who fell in love?
There never really was the two of us.
And maybe my all just wasn't good enough.
Was I the only one, only one, in love?"

At the end of it all, it was all in my head. What screws us up most in life is the picture in our head of how it’s supposed to be. Again, I'm not going to romanticise all this. His actions were cruel. No intentions are still intentions and usually cruel intentions. What's sad, and hurts the most is that I don't hate him. Despite his hurtful actions towards me, I have strong feelings for him.

What was the purpose for this conversation?

Closure. Closure refers to having a sense of understanding, peace, and accepted finality of the relationship whether it's ended because of loss, rejection, or growing apart. The need for closure, helps one get answers and resolution that they move on.

As I continue to process my grief, because all this feels like 'death', I'm giving myself a reality check. But I need to heal and move on from the scene of the accident. "Someone should have said to me, slow down, you're gonna crash, and you're going to drive off the hill. Slow, you're gonna burn; you're going to hit the wall. Slow down, because you were an accident waiting to happen, or maybe a car going nowhere. Slow down; think about it before you take this journey."

In this reflection of the non-closure conversation, I acknowledge that the healing is my responsibility. It’s said that it takes 21 days to form a new habit. According to dating and relationship experts the no contact takes a minimum of 60 days to be effective. That's the equivalent of an average of 2 months. And it includes no texting, no calling, and no interacting on social media. And in this case, we all know that there will be no need for the aforementioned por que...

Research states it takes 6 to 8 months to forgive someone who hurt you. In addition those who reflected more on their relationships over a nine week period have a stronger overall recovery from their breakup or heartbreak.

In the words of The Braxtons, "Only love knows how."

Ebyen sa fè m mal mwen pa merite blese. Se sèl bondye ki konnen.

Again, you don't purposely hurt the ones that you claim to care about. You don't pursue someone because you are 'nice.' Nice is for biscuits. If you are a good person, you take accountability for your actions. The wound is not my fault, I led with my heart and believed in the good, but I'm responsible for my healing. I need to heal so that I'm open to the one who deserves me, and treats me well. While I take responsibility for ignoring the writings on the wall, I don't deserve this hurt. But it will get better in time.

The healing timeline is June 1st. But until then, I will have to process the grief. And it sucks most because I care about him ... still.

But I will survive. To err is human, but to forgive is divine.

I will survive.
Love doesn't hurt, choosing the wrong person does.

Love doesn't hurt, choosing the wrong person does.

Always choose love. Real love.

P.S. : Always write your own love story. 

Lady E 

Ciao!


Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Script My Life: Grown-ish Season 2 Episode 18

I choose ME! We watch and I write; correlating fictional characters with reasonably realistic plot lines to our lives. Script my life! I chose not to review a whole season of a series, neither a film this week. I was struggling to write an authentic story about something that spoke to me through visual consumption. And then I felt emotions erupt as I watched the latest episode of Grown-ish. While I sometimes relate to the protagonist, Zoey Johnson, she annoys me more as I watch this second season. I must forgive her because she's a spoilt 19 year old who is yet to learn the realities of growing up. But she does these really annoying things like being judgemental and being up in people's business. I do love Nomi, Sky (Halle Bailey) and Doug (Diggy Simmons) though. Their characters have so much to offer to the show and audience. In this week's episode titled, 'Nice for What', the young women of the coming-of-age sitcom had to make hard relationship choice...