Skip to main content

When The Door Shuts But There's No Closure

Let this be the last time that I am stupid in love!

To quote Bob Marley, 'The biggest coward of a man, is to awaken the love of a woman without the intention of loving her.' No intentions are still intentions and usually cruel intentions.

I'm a bitter woman. I'm mad as hell. How did I let that ugly mother****er make me look stupid? Little did I know that I was just setting myself up to feeling dumb and dumber. I'm a clown!

So I took the step and reached out to him to get closure. I needed to gather my thoughts and emotions so that I could speak to him calmly. Parce que IRL, I'm on that Lemonade Beyoncé woman scorned level.

The initial call that I made, he blew me off. So I took defeat. However, he called back an hour later and the conversation came. My biggest question was 'Why?'. Why pursue me when you already had someone else whom you wanted to give what I myself wanted. Marriage! What was your intention and outcome from all this? I reiterate that I made my intentions very clear with him from the word go. I remember that the first day that we met, I was looking for a husband. But in hindsight, the biggest red flag was the first day that he and I met.

When someone shows you who they are, believe them. Dr Maya Angelou.

He didn't give me clear answers. What I concluded is from what he did say and that aligned with his actions. He made it clear how he felt about me. Es una serpiente de corazón frío. There's no romanticism about the relationship or him.

What was the purpose for this conversation?

Accountability! For every action there are repercussions. If you claim, or say that you care about someone you don't choose to hurt them. According to the Webster's Dictionary, accountability is: "the obligation or willingness to accept responsibility for one's actions." Accountability is a sign of maturity. I believe that a gentleman always has integrity. Integrity is a character quality that one chooses. Integrity is the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles.

Asking for accountability on my part means I care enough for your personal growth. We are allowed to verbalise how we expect and want to be treated by the people we love. It is a simple, human expectation. Accountability means emotional intelligence as well. Simply put, apply the golden rule.

I believe that I deserved the truth, no matter how much it would hurt. Sadly the one who loves the most, gets hurt the most and is at the greatest loss. I referred to Jordin Sparks', 'Was I the Only One' off her 2009 album 'Battlefield'.

Was I the only one who fell in love?
There never really was the two of us.
And maybe my all just wasn't good enough.
Was I the only one, only one, in love?"

At the end of it all, it was all in my head. What screws us up most in life is the picture in our head of how it’s supposed to be. Again, I'm not going to romanticise all this. His actions were cruel. No intentions are still intentions and usually cruel intentions. What's sad, and hurts the most is that I don't hate him. Despite his hurtful actions towards me, I have strong feelings for him.

What was the purpose for this conversation?

Closure. Closure refers to having a sense of understanding, peace, and accepted finality of the relationship whether it's ended because of loss, rejection, or growing apart. The need for closure, helps one get answers and resolution that they move on.

As I continue to process my grief, because all this feels like 'death', I'm giving myself a reality check. But I need to heal and move on from the scene of the accident. "Someone should have said to me, slow down, you're gonna crash, and you're going to drive off the hill. Slow, you're gonna burn; you're going to hit the wall. Slow down, because you were an accident waiting to happen, or maybe a car going nowhere. Slow down; think about it before you take this journey."

In this reflection of the non-closure conversation, I acknowledge that the healing is my responsibility. It’s said that it takes 21 days to form a new habit. According to dating and relationship experts the no contact takes a minimum of 60 days to be effective. That's the equivalent of an average of 2 months. And it includes no texting, no calling, and no interacting on social media. And in this case, we all know that there will be no need for the aforementioned por que...

Research states it takes 6 to 8 months to forgive someone who hurt you. In addition those who reflected more on their relationships over a nine week period have a stronger overall recovery from their breakup or heartbreak.

In the words of The Braxtons, "Only love knows how."

Ebyen sa fè m mal mwen pa merite blese. Se sèl bondye ki konnen.

Again, you don't purposely hurt the ones that you claim to care about. You don't pursue someone because you are 'nice.' Nice is for biscuits. If you are a good person, you take accountability for your actions. The wound is not my fault, I led with my heart and believed in the good, but I'm responsible for my healing. I need to heal so that I'm open to the one who deserves me, and treats me well. While I take responsibility for ignoring the writings on the wall, I don't deserve this hurt. But it will get better in time.

The healing timeline is June 1st. But until then, I will have to process the grief. And it sucks most because I care about him ... still.

But I will survive. To err is human, but to forgive is divine.

I will survive.
Love doesn't hurt, choosing the wrong person does.

Love doesn't hurt, choosing the wrong person does.

Always choose love. Real love.

P.S. : Always write your own love story. 

Lady E 

Ciao!


Comments

Popular Posts

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it… I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn? "In my own rule book,   CONSISTENCY is very important." In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney

Script My Life: The Greatest Roles

Cheers to a new month, new season and more scripts... I really need new flicks to watch! I will admit that I haven't caught up with the late 2018 and early 2019 movies. But I know that after this blog post, y'all will hook me up. XOXO in advance! We are in the month of August! The second month in the second half of the year! A happy birthday to all the Leos and Virgos! Some of the greats were born this month including my beautiful daughter, Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston. August babies are strong willed and have leadership bred in them. They are just a forceful lot! In the Shona language, August is ' Nyamavhuvhu ' which loosely translated means 'windy'. August babies aren't gentle breezes, they are the tornados and hurricanes; but we love them still! The month itself on this side of the hemisphere is windy! But the wind comes to somewhat renew and pave way for the brief spring season (in Africa, of course!) Wrapping up July, and starting o