Skip to main content

I Was the Side Chick

I want to make my own 'poor choices' in my lifetime...

Pensive black woman sitting



.... at my own hands and of my own free will! Ever since I was a child, I despised being told what to do. I'm the rebellious type in a passive-aggressive manner. It makes sense why I look up to, or stan for rebels, or those who ho against the grain. Prince and Freddie Mercury are good examples. I'm also not into mob psychology hence why I'm a loner. History makers always stand out from the crowd. I don't mind guidance in spaces or tasks that I'm not well vested in. I ain't too proud to learn. But for what I know, I am capable of, and the narrative that I want to write, I want to do things on my terms.

Hello single ladies, comment ca va mes amies? Grab a seat, and we will need vodka and ice cream. I woke up mad as hell. I had a nightmare that brought me to this place of revealing an embarrassing experience. I didn't realize that I had so much pent up rage for being humiliated. My weakness is I don't voice out my true emotions and thoughts, especially when it comes to major matters. Trivia issues, I will cuss people out and check them when they are out of line. But the colossal narratives, I mute and try to numb senses. 

This is how the story goes. There was a guy whom I was seeing. Initially, he seemed more into me than I was him. He stated that he and I needed to be 'monogamous' because he saw a future for us. So I offered him an opportunity to prove himself. My dumb self overlooked red flags out of desperation to be somebody's personal being. I will admit I let loneliness overrule my judgement. And then he began to be inconsistent from the communication and the general interaction. I had a gut feeling that something was wrong.
 
I want to make my own 'poor choices' in my lifetime.... at my own hands and of my own free will


Now being the fearful-avoidant type, I took the avoidant route. The avoidant route is often nonchalant, and distant. I again swept the inconsistencies under the carpet. This occurred especially when he started being 'busy'. Now from my therapy sessions, "I'm busy" is a trigger for me. Once that line is used, Maleficent is unleashed. But if we are grading levels of crazy, I either A. Pull a you on you, or B. Offer the silent treatment. Neither of these reactions, or behaviours are healthy, nor mature. But when I'm hurt, I'm a scared little girl with abandonment issues. 

One day he was supposed to come over and he didn't. He didn't even apologize for standing me up. I went quiet on him. One beautiful afternoon, I was having brunch with a group of friends. So you know how food and afternoon drinks go. A lot of chatter. I was speaking to a friend who knew this guy. She wasn't aware that he and I had something going on. So she spilled the tea on this guy's girlfriend, and guess what? She wasn't me! The shock on my face was priceless. I acted like that girl who loves gossip. My friend ended the conversation with, "I don't care to meet his new girlfriend because he can't keep one. Actually, that n***a ain't sh*t." I subconsciously agreed with her. But the information that I was still digesting caused ulcers in my gut. So I'm the side chick, huh?

I dwindled my fingers as I planned the next course of action. Instead, I drank all the alcohol available to me. I needed it. He texted me later in the evening, and all I said is, "Boy bye!" I gave myself exactly a fortnight to calm down. And since he went AWOL on me, I deleted his number. As Badgyal Riri sang, "I may be dumb but I'm not stupid in love". I ain't got time to be lied to. I had no intention of asking for an explanation, or who this female was. I planned to let it hurt and get over it. But I was livid. I didn't talk to anybody about the situation. And here I am having nightmares. 
 
Here's my story, I don't want to be in situations that I didn't choose on my own. I deserve the truth. We all deserve the truth. Remember Michael? As in Mikey, whom I likey? Well, Michael explained that he has a long-term girlfriend but he's attracted to me. Fair and fine, he laid his cards out on the table. I have the choice to kick it with him despite his situation because I like him. Or turn down his proposal. I choose the latter...always. I will not be second best or be placed in third party situations. But I have been given the option to CHOOSE. The same thing with LaTrey, he just wanted to f*ck (Sorry there's no better English to express exactly what it is). He laid his offer with honesty, and I chose to decline. I'm not walking around with the agenda of turning down guys, but I refuse to be in situations that I don't choose to be in. Ladies, please confirm. There are those grown male children who pursue you and they start misbehaving. When you react to their actions they treat you as if you belong in an asylum. But he's the one not fulfilling his end of the agreed verbal contract. You should hear the type of sh*t those grown male children talk about when you break up, Or they ghost you. 

I didn't sign up to be a side chick. He stated that I was the only woman he was with. I will be honest, I also didn't co-sign on a monogamous relationship with him, but he persisted on his script. I saw him as a fling that would eventually fizzle out parce que he wasn't the brightest crayon in the box. I would never 'wife' him. I felt the big slap on my face of the position that I involuntarily was placed in. Mina, a side chick, abomination! I have always said that there's a certain type of male whom I would choose to be a mistress to, if I had to. Not a basic dude. Especially one who does not offer social equity. I am a Zsa Zsa Gabor, or Jackie O, do your research. Rings bell!

I will not be second best or be placed in third party situations.

This thing called 'free will', I believe offers every living being to make choices. They don't need to be great, or wise choices, it's about choosing. I have previously mentioned that be it relationships, situationships, entanglements, or Netflix and chill, there are two parties involved and three sides to every story. We are too grown as women to be acting like victims in our failed love stories. We need to take responsibility for the parts we play, specifically what we accept. You are responsible for how people treat you because of what you accept. So while we are here mad, we also have to wear our big girl panties and accept that we made poor choices.

You are responsible for how people treat you because of what you accept.


Sigh! I need a long therapy session, lots of meditation, and well, thank you for the weird combination of lactose and fermented carbs.

Sometimes it’s the smallest decisions that can change your life forever. —Keri Russell

Out the things that you can ask, or demand from another human being, let it be to use your free will first. Hurtful truths are better than exciting lies, you deserve the truth all the time, no matter how ugly, or painful. Let's not love the way they lie as Rihanna sang. Choose truth, choose to make choices based on whatever truth is laid out on the table. "Sometimes it’s the smallest decisions that can change your life forever", Keri Russell

Until the next time...

 Feel as good as hell!

P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

MPV.....my point of view!

Don't take anything personal because it's my point of view! But if you can relate, let's have this conversation. I began my journey with my point of view last year,however to give you a feel of my writing you can follow my facebook timeline for Elspeth Chimedza (my birth name). All my blogs are posts titled MPV....my point of view! The topics are: Single ladies        Coyote Ugly                                           Serendipity                                                               The Great expectations Script My life:Love Jones The Promise:When I Say I do! Stripped Single Ladies Part2 Swagger Like My Daddy Rated R Make It Work It's not you....maybe it's me Girl Power Stupid In l...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...