Skip to main content

Script My Life: Mulan

Never despise chasing a chicken on top of rooftops!


Oh my, I felt like a fortune cookie right there. I'm never the one to jump onto trends. I proudly stand as the few who aren't phased by FOMO. However for the 2020 adaptation of Mulan, I had to be on point with my movie watching.

Between watching the trailer and a few expectations, I wasn't sure about my reaction. I'm a staunch Disney classics fan. I am one of those ladies who grew up on the Disney princess trope. I love Belle, Jasmine and Tiana, although Tiana was a frog ¾ of the film. The strong willed female with a free spirit is my spirit animal. Belle read books, Jasmine wanted to see the world and Tiana was a businesswoman. Hmm, sounds like someone we know. Wink!

Disney decided to offer CGI, live action versions of all the animations that most of us millennials grew up on. To be honest, I hate most their reimagined versions especially 'The Lion King'. It was so bad, I didn't watch it twice. I really do hate the 2019 version of the 'Lion King'. I have so many qualms with this storytelling but thank you Cinema Sins  for doing my review for me.

'Aladdin' tried to stay true to the animation especially with the music. I wasn't sure about this Mulan considering there's no singing in it. A preview stated that Disney wanted to tell a more authentic story. Mulan is a Chinese story and the 1998 animation version was too American. And while we loved Mushu voiced by Eddie Murphy, having a Chinese cast adds authenticity to the story.

Warning: Spoilers!

Mulan follows the basic plot of the 1998 Disney animation. The difference is we meet Mulan at a much younger age chasing a chicken across the courtyard and on rooftops. Her father seems proud of his daughter’s adventurous nature, but her mother is much concerned with her daughter bringing honor through marriage. Fast forward to 16 year old Mulan played by Liu Yifei.

She has a disastrous meeting with a matchmaker (the veteran Pei-Pei Cheng). The matchmaker concludes that Mulan’s brings dishonor to the Hua clan. During a heart to heart her father exhorts Mulan to hide her special gift of 'Chi'.

An ongoing threat comes about the kingdom. The villainous Bori Khan (Jason Lee) threatens the emperor (Jet Li). Bori Khan has a quest to vindicate his father. On the emperor's orders, the imperial army travels across China to recruit soldiers to protect the palace. With a royal creed they gather one man from each family. Mulan’s family has no sons, so her father—a former warrior himself—must join to maintain honor. However, upon realization that her crippled father will die in battle if he is conscripted into the army, she chooses to take his place. 

She takes his sword that's engraved “loyal, brave and true and sneaks off. She reports for duty dressed in disguise as a man. She tucks her hair under a cap and lowers her voice. Mulan who takes on the name of Hua Jun. We find her go through the strenuous training with her fellow comrades. She is conflicted when faced with telling the truth about her true identity. The imperial army fights the Rourans led by Bori Khan. This is when Mulan faces the 'witch' Xianniang. The two women fight while Xianniang confronts Mylan to tell the truth.

Once Mulan accepts her identity as a woman, she returns to the battlefield. She uses discarded helmets and her archery skills to trigger an avalanche that buries the Rourans. She rescues Chen Honghui and returns to the camp. She reveals her true gender leading to her expulsion. She leaves for home and once again is confronted by Xianniang. The two women find a common ground as Xianniang urging Mulan to take her place. Risking execution, Mulan returns to the battalion to warn them about Khan's plans to execute the emperor.

General Tung allows her to accompany a unit to the palace. Another fighting scene erupts Mulan's unit distracts the Rourans while Mulan goes to save the Emperor. Khan tries to snipe her with an arrow, but Xianniang, transforms into a bird and sacrifices herself by catching the arrow. Mulan follows Khan and frees the emperor. She kills Khan, with an arrow aimed at the Emperor. 

The Emperor, he bestows her an official position in the imperial guard. However, Mulan rejects the offer in order to return home. Mulan returns home to her family's great joy. She apologizes to her father for stealing his sword and losing it. Her father apologizes for not seeing her for who she is. The Emperor sends his men to offer Mulan a new sword. In addition to the three qualities, the new sword is engraved with a fourth virtue, xiao (“filial piety,” translated in the film as “devotion to family”). The men urge her to reconsider the Emperor’s offer and join the guard.

The film ends with the phoenix, Mulan’s ancestral guardian, circling above her. This creature has been her guide. And we hear the Christina Aguilera soundtrack.

So, there's backlash against the 2020 version of Mulan. The first issue is the cultural innacuracy. The other has to do with politics and human rights issues. Disney is infamous for not being PC at all. We now suffer from cognizance dissonance due to the ugly truths of Disney. The machine's storytelling has been racist, sexist, homophobic, stereotypes...in short a total douche. Yet we still pay to watch their productions.


With the research done about the backstory of 'The Ballad Mulan', she was a woman who worked hard. She was a typical feminine Northern Chinese lady. She only transitioned into a warrior she had to take her father's place. According to YouTube channel Jon Solo,the other version of 'Mulan' titled 'The Sui Tang Romance' has a darker ending than the Disney animation version. In this verion she kills herself. While I love gore and scary stuff in my flicks, Mulan isn't one of those that I would want to see it in.

In terms of telling the story of a powerful woman in a patriarchal society, I believe that was shared in this film. Maybe not in much depth. According to the Ballad, the story of Hua Mulan dates back to the 5th century or even earlier. If you do your homework, you will understand the context of the society that Mulan lived in. Despite being told to 'stay in her place', Mulan shows what courage will do.

I need someone to do a count of the word 'qi' is mentioned. Oh, how many people Mulan killed - these are cool points for her warrior skills. Talking about skills, she would be an asset to a soccer team. Did you see her flying kicks? As someone who watches martial arts films, I would have loved to watch more choreography in the fight scenes. Otherwise, 'Mulan' remains a bad ass. 

A plus is the fact that Mulan didn't have a love story. Her story is based on character and core values. To be loyal, brave and true. We explored the father and daughter relationship though maybe not in depth. The film reminds us that fathers are instrumental in shaping their daughters. Mulan's knew that his daughter had a powerful gift. He taught her to value serving. Service brings honour. I shed a tear or two, when Mulan's father says, "It's my daughter who means everything to me." As a daddy's girl, those words speak volumes. Mad respect to the father for apologizing to his daughter. In relation to the 1998 Mulan song, 'Reflection', her father states, "You were always there but I'm only seeing you for the first time."

Can we applaud female empowerment displayed by a protagonist and villain. While Xianniang is a 'witch', she is Mulan's inner voice. She reminds Mulan that, "Your deceit weakens you. It poisons your chi." The fight between the two women kills Mulan's false persona. A persona of disguise that goes against the values, "to be loyal, brave and true." When she gets up and unties her hair, we see Mulan. Later in the film Xianniang sacrifices her life for Mulan. She paved way so that Mulan could take her place.

For a lie can only live so long.

Anybody who knows, knows that I love the Phoenix. The myth and representation of this creature speaks to my core. I'm actually considering getting a phoenix inked to replace the current artwork. In ancient mythology, the phoenix is a symbolic bird, that symbolizes rebirth, and resurrection. Also associated with the sun, according to research, the Chinese call it Fèng HuĂ¡ng. It is representative of Chinese virtues: goodness, duty, propriety, kindness and reliability. The Phoenix is the family's guiding spirit and Mulan possesses those qualities. 

But while I'm admiring these bad ass qualities in the warrior, question. According to the legendary story of Mulan, she spent twelve years under the masculine guise. How did she shower without being noticed? Actually didn't her menstruation periods sell her out? Again, she's a baddie.

Script my life, I am a Mulan. What speaks more is the value of character above all. Yes marriage is important, but what brings honour is character. As a modern woman, I want my value defined by my character. How I treat myself, family, friends and society.

Remember the fortune cookie I left at the top. Little did Mulan know that chasing that chicken on rooftops would be her training. We always have special gifts and express them even in the smallest ways. Never ignore your initial training ground.

The film ends with these words,"The girl became a soldier, the soldier became a leader and the leader became a legend."

And even without the film, the legend of Hua Mulan will live on. Who doesn't love the story of a woman leading an army to victory for 12 years? That's what the Chinese folklore says about Hua Mulan.

I might miss the hilarious dragon Mushu from the animation. But I am for accurate storytelling (almost). This is a flick I would recommend for all the little girls. We need to teach young women and little girls to be loyal, brave and true. And that is done through service in every area of life. And to serve even the least of people (according to your socio economic perspective). 

Take your place.

P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

Script My Life: The Greatest Roles

Cheers to a new month, new season and more scripts... I really need new flicks to watch! I will admit that I haven't caught up with the late 2018 and early 2019 movies. But I know that after this blog post, y'all will hook me up. XOXO in advance! We are in the month of August! The second month in the second half of the year! A happy birthday to all the Leos and Virgos! Some of the greats were born this month including my beautiful daughter, Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston. August babies are strong willed and have leadership bred in them. They are just a forceful lot! In the Shona language, August is ' Nyamavhuvhu ' which loosely translated means 'windy'. August babies aren't gentle breezes, they are the tornados and hurricanes; but we love them still! The month itself on this side of the hemisphere is windy! But the wind comes to somewhat renew and pave way for the brief spring season (in Africa, of course!) Wrapping up July, and starting o

Here's to Becoming

Manifestation is mindset and action combined to achieve the desired results. This is my last year of being single! I'm declaring it and speaking it into the Universe. Now, there's nothing wrong with being single, but we need a final chapter for the Single Ladies series. All good things have to come to an end. Don't worry I'm not dropping off our bus, just as yet. Bonjour mes amies! Comment allez vous? Je vais trés bien merci, et vous? Let's gather around as we countdown to the New Year. I already have a head start with the wine, so let's catch up. In an intense conversation with one of my closest nephews, I told him that this is my last year of being single. We laughed, hard! But I was serious. Now, we don't have a groom as yet. But I'm going to 'Sex & the City' Charlotte manifest this. And my inner circle has been through the relationship trenches with me. We are all exhausted! So, I understand their skepticism and even fears for my fragilit

Chocolate!

Oogling and drooling as I lust after the delicious,yummy chocolate abs of...gush...Trey Songz in a music video. My male friends look at me as if I'm some perverted male...maybe I am. Sadly as a woman such men are just a mirage in a desert full of pot bellied men.Yes,I said it!I believe I speak on behalf of my sisters,who have been termed 'overambitious',and having high standards in the looks department.We would love to see more abs and less flab. Why our brothers keep mount Everests of flesh I fail to understand.Worse still,men boobs that could hold shares in a dairy company. Who would blame me.I become a pervert because Usher's six-pack makes me want to eat of it,or I'm actually envious of Generations' Queen Moroka having 'Muscle man' Lungile,hold her in his arms.Yes,guilty as charged! What my brothers should understand is most women already have stuffed toys,a new addition in the form of a man is not adorable.A little working out w