Skip to main content

Sing My Life: Birthday By Disclosure, Kehlani, Syd

"Can I call you on your birthday? Just to make sure that you're okay"

 


Birthdays can bring out the real in all of us. Happy Friday and it happens to be the Queen’s Birthday. Yes Beyoncé! Yeah,yeah, everybody loves Beyoncé. Shout out to all the Virgos! I'm so loving the Disclosure video for 'Birthday' featuring Kehlani and Syd. The visuals take on the 'Alice in Wonderland' aspect where Syd and Kehlani are stuck in a shrunken room. The giant versions of Syd and Kehlani wrestle with thoughts of reaching out to each other. The visual ends with claymation version of Syd and Kehlani, who who are shown in a candy land. They talk to each other while experiencing adventures including flying on the top of a single engine plane. And then they both get burnt. The closing of the video has voices singing 'Happy birthday'. Then a heart shaped box with Syd and Kehlani's names, and a cake with Disclosure's faces appear on the screen.

Most of the world's population actually celebrates birthdays. And, I’m big on birthdays. Maybe not that mine anyway, because no one ever makes a fuss over it. But yeah, there's a certain magic in celebrating people on the day that they were born. Of course we have several holidays however, nothing comes close to the day that one was born in the fact that they celebrate the next milestone. You know that a lot can happen in year, so thank God for life...toast! 

Of late, I’ve been talking about muses and you know you come to a place of reflection. This song has me reflecting as it discusses lingering feelings and dealing with thoughts of a calling a former love interest on their birthday even though the relationship is over. The chorus says, "Would you prefer it if I'd go ghost?; And let you go your own way; Can I call you on your birthday?; Just to make sure that you're okay; Got the number to your old phone; But is it working?"

Have you ever tried to reach out to someone on their birthday? Somebody that you used to know, and maybe somewhat feel something for? Story time! There is one person who on their birthday I was contemplating to send a message. It's always a debate but I stand by birthdays so I say whatever. Fortunately I think you know when you're linked on social media you it’s easy to pluck up courage. Most of the time, we fear of what they would think. Whether they reciprocate or not, it’s up to them. I saw a notification on one of my social media platforms. I sent him a birthday message. To be honest, deep down, I had hoped for a, "Thank you", c'est tout! In the song, Kehlani sings, “I ain’t even callin’ for no reconciliation; I just want to tap in and see how you been; I’ve waited for an adequate amount of time; To give us both some space; I think it’s been good for us to stay up out of the way.” I’m admitting that I have his number. I don’t know if it’s still the same. It’s not about reconciliation. Remember, we had a situation... a situationship. My mentor has a different narrative about what type of ship that was but I don't want to make it more than what it was. 

I remember his birthday because he and I actually share the same birthday month. Actually we are exactly a week apart. "But to put the hurt to rest, put maturity to the test; So I'm callin' to say "Are you okay?" on your special day" As I said, I'm big on birthdays. There are people who sending a message could make a difference. The idea that someone is thinking of you and acknowledges that you are still alive and breathing. You have another time of grace to walk and perhaps fulfill your purpose. Not everybody has big social circles, so you just want to make them feel 'special' on their day.

Is it okay to reach out to somebody that you used to know, on their birthday? They don't need to be in your life. You aren't asking for long conversations or a second time around. And you are only human, there's a heart somewhere. "Emotion aside; Ah; Am I makin' your day?"


Reaching out can take us to that place of vulnerability. We are afraid of the perception of desperation, obsession and even humiliation. But what if, the person on the other hand took the reaching out with grace, and composure. They are civil in their reception of the two words, "Happy birthday". And if not received with a "thank you", their silence isn't necessarily a brush off. You don't need to overthink it. It is just silence, and perhaps, it still remains best to maintain space. But still...

"Can I call you on your birthday? Just to make sure that you're okay"

When art imitates life, some things are best said through a song...

Until the next song lyrics...

P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Script My Life: Grown-ish Season 2 Episode 18

I choose ME! We watch and I write; correlating fictional characters with reasonably realistic plot lines to our lives. Script my life! I chose not to review a whole season of a series, neither a film this week. I was struggling to write an authentic story about something that spoke to me through visual consumption. And then I felt emotions erupt as I watched the latest episode of Grown-ish. While I sometimes relate to the protagonist, Zoey Johnson, she annoys me more as I watch this second season. I must forgive her because she's a spoilt 19 year old who is yet to learn the realities of growing up. But she does these really annoying things like being judgemental and being up in people's business. I do love Nomi, Sky (Halle Bailey) and Doug (Diggy Simmons) though. Their characters have so much to offer to the show and audience. In this week's episode titled, 'Nice for What', the young women of the coming-of-age sitcom had to make hard relationship choice...