Skip to main content

The Tables We Create

"Anyone can be number one but not everybody is first." -Billy Dee Williams 



Tyler Perry Emmys 2020



Imagine I woke up without any idea of today's blog. I feel fatigued and the day seemed longer than most. But after a dose of catching up with the Emmys, I found some inspiration. So much black excellence. Queens Regina King, Uzo Aduba, comedy kings Dave Chappelle, Eddie Murphy, and Mr. Tyler Perry! Congratulations to Zendaya who becomes the second black woman to win best female lead in a drama. She's also the youngest actress in that category. My favourite show Insecure secured a nod too.

As I write this I just watched the next generation of spoken word artists create some magic. The art and culture of the spoken word are in safe hands. Mr. Tyler Perry has my utmost respect. I have watched the evolution of the filmmaker's career ever since my first Madea movie. The powerful stories that spoke to my own script drew me to the writer. Today I stand as a student of Tyler Perry.

We might not have met, but watching Mr. Perry build his empire continues to inspire me. I remember his 2019 BET acceptance speech. The profound portion of the speech was, "While you're fighting for a seat at the table, I'll be down in Atlanta building my own. Because what I know for sure is that if I could just build this table, God will prepare it for me in the presence of my enemies." And in 2020, Forbes announced that Mr. Tyler Perry was the newest self-made billionaire on their list.

While you're fighting for a seat at the table, I'll be down in Atlanta building my own. ' Because what I know for sure is that if I could just build this table, God will prepare it for me in the presence of my enemies. -Tyler Perry 
I realigned myself to the vision of pursuing my dream. I know how many times that I've wanted to give up. I actually have quit. Shut down everything because it all seemed to be in vain. I haven't made a cent from my vision. I can't afford to pay any of my staff including myself. But watching Tyler Perry's testimony gives me hope. The tables that we create.

I know all too well about being rejected at tables that you want to have a seat at. That's why I stopped! My passion has always been in the creative industry. From film to writing, and entertainment. Africa remains an untapped Creative hub that can contribute to disruptive storytelling globally. But my vision is to tell stories on our terms. To continue the lineage of our totems and family history through oral tradition. To revive ancient sounds and reinvent them with who we are today.

I sit at the table that I created. I don't have much to show for it, but I have a table with several seats. I relate to Tyelr Perry on several levels it's insane. When you have a vision that keeps you restless, you want it to manifest. But the catch is the journey. For the past seven years, I have been working on a vision. Thankfully, I have had day ones who have been loyal. Imagine someone who sticks around even when there's no remuneration. Of course in this economy, we have nine to five jobs for survival. But at the first withdrawal of the first dollar, we are going full-time.

We live in a culture where everyone wants to be an entrepreneur. To be honest, most people are either self-employed or employees. That is still a noble path. I loosely use the term entrepreneur but what I'm sure of is that I am a visionary. I liken myself to Joseph in the Bible - the dreamer. But the dreams are greater than myself. I'm learning how to have a healthy relationship with money. I'm money motivated in my career. I believe in adding and receiving my value. I'm not yet there when it comes to receiving my true value. But I also want to empower others.

I have great admiration for communities that create spider web economies. I respect how they ensure that finance and services support their communities. I would love to be part of such a community. Part of the vision is to create a sustainable creative economy. Within those economies, the ownership belongs to those within the economy. Tyler Perry owns two of the most lucrative assets- intellectual property and real estate. 
 
Tyler Perry's intellectual property is in media and entertainment. To date, the industry has created 4% of billionaires. Owning the rights to your creative work offers opportunities for accumulating wealth. As we know, Mr. Perry owns a large portion of his creative work including books, films, and music. According to Forbes, Perry has created 1,200 episodes of TV, 22 feature films and more than two dozen stage plays. Viacom CBS pays him $150 million a year to create content for its networks, including BET and Nickelodeon. He has a stake in the BET+ streaming service. Real estate contributes to 9% of the world's billionaires. Tyler Perry owns his own 330-acre studio which is estimated to the value of $280 million.

The bigger picture that I have gathered from Mr. Perry is to create your own wealth. To spread out your resources by bringing others up. And when they reject you at their tables create yours. I can't necessarily say that I have been rejected. I'm just not part of the in the crowd. We sometimes don't receive due credit. But as we build this table, I am learning that God rewards pursued visions. 

Create your own tables where you can share seats with those who also live a similar vision.

Here's to creating tables where you share the feast that the Lord prepares for you....in the presence of your enemies...

...and seating with those who also live in the vision!

P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Auld Lang Syne ... Maybe Not All the Time

Sometimes the end is a new beginning!  It's a new year! To be more precise, the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-two. According to the Hebrew calendar the year is 5782.  The crossover into 2022 was particularly dull due to the curfew. When we say that the pandemic is a buzzkill, the sentiment is real. As a staunch believer in the saying, "How you leave is how you enter," I often enjoy spending my time in church. The service prior to the countdown often invigorates my faith. Praying and seeding on the first day of the 365 or 366 is comforting. Unfortunately, the authorities ensured that the gathering of the saints wouldn't happen on their watch. We had to sit and watch the livestream from home. As the new year came, I started to think of the song synonymous with the new year. Auld Lang Syne. Based on the 18th century Scottish song, the words read: Should Old Acquaintance be forgot, and never thought upon; The flames of Love extinguished, and fully past a...

7 Ways to Sage Your Space

Unlearn and burn your inhibitions... We grew up socialised into certain behaviours and beliefs that are sometimes unhealthy for our mental wellbeing. These factors contribute to brokeness, poverty mentality and self loathing. Many of us may experience stunted emotional, spiritual and mental growth due to past experiences and beliefs. But the cycle needs to be broken now. Our generation is privileged to acknowledge the unhealthy patterns in our lives. We have the ability to unlearn mindsets that have prevented us from living our best lives. I have been on my journey to healing for the past four years. The journey to healing and self love isn't an easy one. It does help to realise that there is so much to you than what meets the eye. Your healing begins by spring cleaning your life. It's out with the old, and in with what you carefully choose to enter. This cleaning applies to every aspect of your life. As we go into the second half of the year, let's reevaluate ou...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...