Skip to main content

Self Care:10 Ways to Be Good to Yourself

Taking care of oneself shouldn't be a hash tag or social media trend. Self care is a key component of self love which is an actual journey.



Self care isn't achieved overnight but with time and patience, one can reach the point of bliss. We all need peace of mind, good health and productivity. Yet most of us find very little time for 'self.' We are either coerced into guilt by equating 'self-care' to selfishness, or that it's counterproductive.

In an article by Hannah Ritchie and Max Roser on the global mental health, it was estimated that 970 million people worldwide had a mental or substance use disorder in 2017. Of that population, 3.4% suffered from depression while 3.8% had anxiety disorders. 107 million people were reported to have alcohol use disorders.

We are living in a stressed world and few know the right coping mechanisms. We are mostly triggered by the economy, politics, work, finances and relationships. Apart from mental health disorders many of us fall into bad health. Obesity, diabetes and heart diseases are some of the major causes of death in most people. These have become prevalent in millenials who according to statistics, are the most stressed generation.

So why is self care a 'thing' with millennials and Gen 'X'? We are realising that we need to love ourselves more than ever. Self care is the intentional habit of doing things that make one feel good. Self care is holistic as it focuses on body, mind and spirit. According to Apple's best of 2018 list, self-care was the app trend of the year.

Influencers and celebrities are shifting their content to wellness. It's no longer about going to the gym or showing off abs. It's about taking a social media hiatus. Going on a holiday to eat, pray, love. We now see photos of bubble baths, books and people meditating on Instagram.

But self care isn't about putting on a show. We are entire human beings meant to live on earth a full life, of purpose. Over a phone conversation, my older sister and I were sharing our own journey to self care. Admitting that we could do so much better, we subtly posed a challenge - love yourself...more!

I have been on my path of healing since 2015. My younger sibling jokingly calls me, 'Zen E'. I have been honest that of late, my chakras aren't aligned. I haven't had that feng shui in my vibe. But I am working on it. The blog is one of the spaces for creating healing and self care.

Healing is a process, self love is a journey and peace of mind is intentional. Here are the 10 ways to be good to yourself.

BODY

1. Feed your temple

The body is a temple and that should remind you to keep it sacred. Too often, we allow toxins into our bodies through bad eating habits. Everything is good in small portions. Eat a well balanced diet that means ditch fad diets. Our teachers weren't stupid when they taught us the food groups. Have your carbs in the right portions. Add proteins, vitamins, fats, oils and H20 to the meal. Don't starve yourself but when necessary take on that intermittent fast.

2. Exercise

I'm not a gym bunny. I will never lie about wearing spandex and sneakers to lift weights or whatever y'all do in gyms. I got the genetic lottery - I'm tiny. I can eat anything and everything and gain slight weight. However, I don't take good health for granted. My forms of exercise include housework, dancing and walking. There are so many ways to get your cardio.  Make sure that it's something that you enjoy, sex (as long as it's consensual) included. 


3. Hydrate

Summer or winter, water is the source of all life. It's key to stay hydrated to keep your skin supple, blood pumping, kidneys functions and eyes wet. Water also curbs hunger, especially the one that makes you snack or binge.

4. Sleep

You owe your body as much rest as possible. Have a routine before you go to bed that helps you rest first. Once you are relaxed, you will find that you will experience true beauty sleep. Napping during the day for 15 to 20 minutes can help boost up your energy. On your off days, wake up at your usual time i.e. you wake up at 4.30 a.m. Go about your usual activities and then give yourself time to sleep in. The idea is to rest your body without interrupting your cycle.

MIND

5. Unwind

Make time for that bubble bath and indulge. Soak yourself in a warm bath. Alternatively, taking a long warm shower. You want to absorb the water and release any tension from the day or week. Add some calm sounds or music and you are in a world of your own.

6. Unplug

Switch your computer off, your mobile phone off and focus on you. Work, the internet and even phone calls can distract you. Watch your favourite movie or TV show. Take on a hobby like knitting, or gardening. Read a book or two. Even better, why not write in your (physical) journal. Whatever you do to love you, must not require recharging.

7. Moi 

I love a glass of red wine, while cuddled up in my blankets. Add a slice of chocolate cake, I'm in heaven. Have that one thing that you would usually deprive yourself off for that one day. It's your 'me time' or 'me day'. This is when you are on your 'me, myself and I'. Without judgement or prejudice, you are doing you, by yourself. No need for company.

SPIRIT

8. Block negativity

Steer clear of negative energy. Stay away from people who often complain, gossip, or are highly critical. You would rather be zen by yourself, telling yourself how smart, talented and cool you are. And never feel guilty for not having relationships with certain individuals. Nobody, that includes friends, or family is entitled to a relationship with you without putting in effort. You are allowed to block out people who expect from you but never feed positivity into your life.


9. Prayer and meditation

Most of us believe in the higher power. We need to channel our energy vertically and be one with the universe. I use the book of Psalms from the Bible to meditate and pray. Simple words written by a sheperd boy who killed a giant. That's all I need! Meditation requires discipline and devotion. It's about forgetting about yourself, and your problems and  a more spiritual outlook. Don't ignore your inner spirit being. Your entire well being depends on it.

10. Affirmation

Speak to yourself positively. Compliment yourself. Be your own hype man. I watch goal cast videos on YouTube. I listen to inspirational music early in the morning as I get ready for the day. I then hype myself up with old Kanye (Can't Tell Me Nothing is my jam). Follow individuals who post positive quotes and repeat them to yourself.

'I deserve better!'

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

Chocolate!

Oogling and drooling as I lust after the delicious,yummy chocolate abs of...gush...Trey Songz in a music video. My male friends look at me as if I'm some perverted male...maybe I am. Sadly as a woman such men are just a mirage in a desert full of pot bellied men.Yes,I said it!I believe I speak on behalf of my sisters,who have been termed 'overambitious',and having high standards in the looks department.We would love to see more abs and less flab. Why our brothers keep mount Everests of flesh I fail to understand.Worse still,men boobs that could hold shares in a dairy company. Who would blame me.I become a pervert because Usher's six-pack makes me want to eat of it,or I'm actually envious of Generations' Queen Moroka having 'Muscle man' Lungile,hold her in his arms.Yes,guilty as charged! What my brothers should understand is most women already have stuffed toys,a new addition in the form of a man is not adorable.A little working out w

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it… I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn? "In my own rule book,   CONSISTENCY is very important." In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney