Skip to main content

Birthday Special: It's More than Just a Day

To be honest, I don't like my birthday.

Black woman sitting down


I often fall under the pressure to have the best birthday. I need billions of birthday wishes. I want flowers and confectionery. I need an event: brunch, party or getaway to commemorate such an auspicious occasion. Sadly, that's not my narrative. During my school days, my birthday fell during mid year exam time. As an adult, they have often forgotten my birthday.

I remember that last year; I felt very unappreciated. Many people especially my best friend forgot my birthday. I was hurt and miserable. My sisters and friends consoled me by taking me out for lunch by the lake. It was thoughtful of them.

This year I had planned to have a weekend away by the Mozambican beaches. I would invite a few of my newly gained 'friends' and have a girl's getaway. I wanted sun, bikinis, and cocktails. Because of the cyclone, that plan washed away. Alternatively there was Inyanga, mainly because I have never been there...ever! Or we travel down south to Matopos.  All I wanted was a getaway, to breathe. But finances wavered because of the current economic climate.

I am sun basking, whilst writing this blog as the generators play in the background. Today with an attitude of gratitude, I take you down the most memorable birthdays in my adult life.

2007

Finally, I'm no longer a teenager! I turned 20 this year. I was still a student nurse. My boyfriend surprised me and came to visit me. My younger sister sent me a birthday gift of self-care goodies. Attached was the sweetest card. Birthday gifts are my sister's forte. That year I received gifts from a few of my senior friends. And I had cake.

2012

When I reached a quarter-life - 25 years old. On 8 July 2012, I met the man y'all would get to know as Mr. X. It was fireworks like the 4th of July. The previous night I had a well attended '25th' birthday party, of which my best friend travelled all the way from South Africa. She gifted me with the notebook I penned down most of my poetry pieces. I had chocolate cake and lots of wine bottles.

2015

This was a super weird birthday for me. I was working at my uncle's internet cafe. A friend of mine dropped off from a bus from South Africa and came straight to spend the day with me.  A colleague and a friend,  bought me assorted flavors of cake slices and doughnuts. Bless her! She satisfied my sweet tooth. Several clients bought me food - lots of food. Turning 28 never felt so good.

2016

This was the coldest of birthdays. I was working and enjoying the serene environment. My cousins and sisters kidnapped me from work. They took me out for a lovely lunch at a restaurant. By now we see that food is everything to me, I just have a fast metabolism. Later that night my younger sister and her friends took me out for drinks. Woke up with a hangover the next day. That's a wrap for my 20s!

2017

Bonang Matheba had the 30th birthday of a lifetime. I was envious, but she's rich and famous, so I stay in my lane. My best friend booked me a return ticket to Pretoria. My birthday weekend with my bestie. My best friend is an interesting personality. She is the silent grenade catcher. We shopped, ate, and drove around. The parents even got me cake although I didn't get to have it.

For me, each year has to be an experience that reminds me I'm alive! Maybe next year will be different. In the meantime, I am taking a step back. I am focusing on the work that I have at hand. I see that needs to be fulfilled.  This vision is my purpose - to root for the underdog. I am the Samuel to a David - sent to bring out whom God has chosen.

I have realized that my being on this earth isn't about one day. It's more than just a day. My purpose is an everyday experience of whether I am celebrated. There might never be cake, or flowers, or bottles of wine. A party or getaway might not even be in the cards. But the work never stops! The days go on until we reach day 365/6. And then there is a new year.

But thank you all for your wishes and messages. Thank you, Facebook for ensuring that my born day is a notification. My wall will probably have some inscriptions by the end of the day.

I am grateful for what drives me. My drive is the vision! Until my last breath, I will work towards telling stories and leaving legacies of those narratives.

With my wine glass, a toast to being a visionary!

Joyeux anniversaire Lady E!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Auld Lang Syne ... Maybe Not All the Time

Sometimes the end is a new beginning!  It's a new year! To be more precise, the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-two. According to the Hebrew calendar the year is 5782.  The crossover into 2022 was particularly dull due to the curfew. When we say that the pandemic is a buzzkill, the sentiment is real. As a staunch believer in the saying, "How you leave is how you enter," I often enjoy spending my time in church. The service prior to the countdown often invigorates my faith. Praying and seeding on the first day of the 365 or 366 is comforting. Unfortunately, the authorities ensured that the gathering of the saints wouldn't happen on their watch. We had to sit and watch the livestream from home. As the new year came, I started to think of the song synonymous with the new year. Auld Lang Syne. Based on the 18th century Scottish song, the words read: Should Old Acquaintance be forgot, and never thought upon; The flames of Love extinguished, and fully past a...