Skip to main content

Script My Life: The Kissing Booth

With a show of the hands, how many of you have ended up with your crush? I guess I will see in the comments section below.


Reminiscing about the complex, simplicity of high school is funny. When you are a teenager,  your whole life seems to be captured in that time capsule. It seems like an eternity before the reality of growing up hits you.

As a grown woman, I still indulge in a high school movie or two. I love how cliché and generic the storylines are. Yet they somewhat relate to what a teen is going through or what I related to, once upon a time.

I still love the lessons about being true to yourself à la 'Mean Girls', '10 Things I Hate About You' and most recent, 'Reality High'. Y'all high school is hard! I'm not sure what it's like now with social media and cellphones. Back in my day, bullying was physical, rejection was real and your crush wrote a note, or letter to reciprocate your feelings.

Funny story, I'm still 'sort of' friends with my high school crush. I actually thought of him whilst watching the Netflix teen rom-com, 'The Kissing Booth.' Before I get into the critics ratings, on a scale of 1 to 10, I give the movie a  5. The rating comes with the copy and pasting of all the high school movies you can remember.

When I related the movie to my life, that wondering thought kind of lingered, "What if I had actually dated my crush?"

I get the concept of the plot line, however, the execution of the story failed dismally. Yet, somehow this movie was viewed so much, a sequel is coming. Eish! Released in 2018, 'The Kissing Booth' stars Joey King who plays the female protagonist. Her male co-stars are Joel Courtney and Jacob Elordi. The film also features former teen rom-com queen, Molly Ringwald. Her most famous roles are in 'Sixteen Candles' and 'The Breakfast Club' (but you will need to be an 80s fan to know these).

To break down the plot quickly, Joey King plays the role of Elle Evans. Elle is best friends with Lee Flynn (Courtney), whom she shares the same birthday with. Elle has had a huge crush on Lee's, hot, older brother Noah (Elordi). However, due to a set of friendship rules, Elle can't date Noah.

Throughout the first hour, we see the typical love-hate relationship between Noah and Elle, as they try to get together. The two hook up secretly before being found out by Lee, much to Lee's distaste. Lee breaks off his friendship with Elle because of Noah. Elle breaks up with Noah because of her friendship with Lee. Lee and Elle make up after dancing together at Dance Dance Revolution.

At their prom, the theme pays homage to the 'kissing booth'. This was Elle and Lee's, idea for the school carnival. Apparently, it was a hit with the rest of the student body. Noah publicly proclaims his love for Elle,who rejects him and runs away. Elle finally stands up for herself at her costume themed birthday party. She let's Lee know that she's in love with Noah and will cut him off if he's not supportive. Lee, who has a girlfriend, acknowledges Elle's feelings, however, Noah has already left for Havard.

Elle does kiss and make up with Noah in the end. The final scene shows the airport farewell and Elle rides off into the sunset on Noah's motor bike.

The critics reviewed this as the worst teen movie ever. I will spare you the details. 'The Kissing Booth' had potential to be a good movie, but lack of character development killed the plot. Little rational is given as to why the characters behave the way that they do. I didn't understand why Elle's dad strongly disapproved of Noah? Why Noah is always punching people? And this started when he was little. Call me old school, but I still feel uncomfortable with teen sex on screen. I don't believe that it should be encouraged. Elle is sixteen. Let's leave it there.

To add to the review, the lessons were rather vague. What life lesson is a teenager, or any viewer getting from this movie? Okay, so Elle hooks up with her crush, Noah. Noah actually liked her back to the point that he blocked all the other guys in school from dating her. Erm, a little bit controlling.

It's rare for an individual with the crush to have a relationship with their crush from the get go. The story line in most teen movies is that the admirer spends lots of time with their crush. The crush then realises that their admirer is the best person that they need.

Elle and Noah have a mutual attraction towards each other. They have a relationship and fall in love. For purposes of film making, the conflict comes in the twisted 'love triangle' with Lee. From my own experience, that plot line didn't work out like that.

In the last part of eleventh grade, (form four), I admitted to my crush that I liked him. This occurred after a game of truth-or-dare, where my hostel mate dared me to confront my crush. I walked to him with Samantha Mumba's 'Gotta Tell You', playing in my head. (Laughs) After admitting my feelings, I just wanted the ground to open and swallow me whole. My crush shared a sentiment that he 'sort of', 'kind of' liked me too, but he was seeing someone else. That doesn’t look like a familiar teen rom-com scene from anywhere.

I was hurt. (Holds face)

Sixteen years later, I just thought to myself, what if the script was flipped? After sharing a kiss with Noah at the kissing booth, Elle kisses him again. Her bold move, prompted Noah to reveal his intentions with her. What if I had been bold like Elle? Instead of writing poetry about my crush, I should have been strategic about prompting my crush to reciprocate the crush. Oh well! (Shrugs shoulders).

I have never had a Lee in my ĺife, so rule number 9, doesn't apply to me. I never listen to my friends anyway! I will have that forbidden relationship, have my heart broken and then go like, "Y'all were right, he's a total douche!" In real life though, Noah wouldn't be my choice. His temper and controlling nature would put me off. Yes, I liked bad boys, (who doesn't), but not that bad. Honestly, I wouldn't have Lee as my bff either. Are you making me choose between friendship and love? We swerve a controlling and selfish friend. Ain't nobody got time for that!

As terrible as 'The Kissing Booth' is, the crush-admirer plot twist was refreshing. It doesn't take forever for the two to get together. They spend time together as couples should. As Elle bids farewell to Noah who's off to university, she acknowledges the uncertainty in the couple's future. However, she is grateful for the experience.

I guess that's the answer to that lingering question, "What if I had actually dated my crush?" It would have been an experience whether good, or bad. But I guess that, I will never know! (Shrugs shoulders)

Hopefully the sequel to 'The Kissing Booth' will be insightful. The writers must only 'copy+paste' at least one teen movie. I suggest 'The Duff'! That had an empowering life lesson. And please, we need back stories to explain behaviours and conflicts. Plus, Elle, must not narrate so much...or at all! We get it! She talks too much!

Until the next flick...you are the writer, cast and director of your own plot!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E



Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Auld Lang Syne ... Maybe Not All the Time

Sometimes the end is a new beginning!  It's a new year! To be more precise, the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-two. According to the Hebrew calendar the year is 5782.  The crossover into 2022 was particularly dull due to the curfew. When we say that the pandemic is a buzzkill, the sentiment is real. As a staunch believer in the saying, "How you leave is how you enter," I often enjoy spending my time in church. The service prior to the countdown often invigorates my faith. Praying and seeding on the first day of the 365 or 366 is comforting. Unfortunately, the authorities ensured that the gathering of the saints wouldn't happen on their watch. We had to sit and watch the livestream from home. As the new year came, I started to think of the song synonymous with the new year. Auld Lang Syne. Based on the 18th century Scottish song, the words read: Should Old Acquaintance be forgot, and never thought upon; The flames of Love extinguished, and fully past a...

7 Ways to Sage Your Space

Unlearn and burn your inhibitions... We grew up socialised into certain behaviours and beliefs that are sometimes unhealthy for our mental wellbeing. These factors contribute to brokeness, poverty mentality and self loathing. Many of us may experience stunted emotional, spiritual and mental growth due to past experiences and beliefs. But the cycle needs to be broken now. Our generation is privileged to acknowledge the unhealthy patterns in our lives. We have the ability to unlearn mindsets that have prevented us from living our best lives. I have been on my journey to healing for the past four years. The journey to healing and self love isn't an easy one. It does help to realise that there is so much to you than what meets the eye. Your healing begins by spring cleaning your life. It's out with the old, and in with what you carefully choose to enter. This cleaning applies to every aspect of your life. As we go into the second half of the year, let's reevaluate ou...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...