Skip to main content

Script My Life: Marry Me

If you want something different, you have to do something different!




Woo, Jennifer Lopez really grated the cheese on this rom-com but I love it! Yes, this Valentines day, J Lo reminds us of all our fantasies of what really love should be. Jenny has always been a girl who loves love. So art somewhat imitates life. Following her reunion with former fiancé, Ben Affleck, we are definitely seeing Jenny from the Block 2.0. Who knew that getting back together with 'the one that got away' two decades later would revive romantically in J lo?

We all know that Jennifer loves to be booed up. She's been married three times, engaged five or six (I've lost count). I believe relationship experts would consider her a love addict. But that's none of our business!

Just in time for Valentines day, a romantic comedy simply titled, "Marry Me". The stars Jennifer Lopez, Owen Wilson, Maluma, John Bradley, Sarah Silverman, and Chloe Coleman.

The movie opens with the title track, "Marry Me", with J lo-esque protagonist, Kat Valdez (Jennifer Lopez). Valdez is a popstar who's been unlucky in love two failed high-profile marriages. She then dates another entertainer Bastian (Maluma), whom she makes beautiful music with. The star couple gain a chart-topper, Marry Me and they plan to hold their wedding ceremony in front of a streaming audience at one of Kat's concerts. There's a media frenzy over Kat and Bastian's upcoming nuptials. People are curious about the wedding dress, bridesmaids and celebrity guests. However other media are skeptical about this union particularly given Kat's past relationships.

On the other side, is ordinary, and rather vanilla, Charlie Gilbert, a divorced math teacher. He has a daughter, Lou, whom he changed school and isn't too enthusiastic about him. She perceives him as uncool compared to her mother and stepfather. Charlie has a fellow teacher friend Parker who's looking forward to attending Kat Valdez show with her new girlfriend. Unfortunately Parler gets dumped and asks Charlie to attend the concert with  Lou.

At the concert, a scantily clad Kat sings her song, 'Church'. The backup dancers are dressed as nuns, and the crowd is enjoying the performance. In the midst of the crowd is Charlie who's holding up a placard written 'Marry Me'. Parker and Charlie are enjoying the show. Kat goes backstage for a wardrobe change.

She wears a beautiful diamond encrusted wedding gown. However, right before Kat is prepared to go to the altar, tabloids uncover Bastian's infidelity with her assistant Tyra. Kat's team including her manager Cole, are trying to avoid showing her. She then grabs her managers phone and watches the  broadcast. In distress, she makes a speech about love and its failures. Kat sees Charlie in the crowd holding Parker's sign reading "Marry Me". To Charlie and everyone else's surprise, she impulsively decides to marry him. Unsure, Charlie goes onstage and marries Kat in front of the world. After the ceremony, Kat refuses to speak with Bastian or Tyra as she and Charlie leave.

Charlie tries to offer some words of comfort a broken hearted Kat on their way home. The media is in a frenzy, speculating about Kat's mental state. The following day, Kat speaks to Cole and decides to stay married to Charlie for a few months to put a positive spin on the situation. He reluctantly agrees, not wanting to cause a stir in either of their personal lives. Charlie poses for media appearances, though he is uncomfortable with the scrutiny.

Charlie offers Kat a more realistic experience as they after spending time together away from media and her management. Kat meets Charlie's students and Lou. She shares her stage fright experiences with the students and dances with them. He eventually asks Kat to his school dance as a date, and she accepts. Kat is impressed by the Glee club's rendition of her hit 'Marry'. She then gives a private performance of her song 'What comes after love?' Charlie and Kat return to Charlie's place where the two kiss and have sex. They spend the next few weeks together in a real romantic relationship. Charlie prepares his math team for a mathalon with Kat's encouragement to the students. She teaches Lou, who has stage fright, to dance to take her mind off her anxiety.

Bastian shows up to announce that "Marry Me" has been nominated for a Grammy, Kat's first nomination. Charlie is wary of the fact that Kat and Bastian will have to perform together again, but Kat insists it is over between them. Kat and Bastian perform the ballad version of 'Marry Me'. The chemistry between the two ia undeniable and this makes Charlie insecure. He then shows up to the nomination party where breaks up Kat. He states that he doesn't fit into Kat's world and that their marriage was not real.

Kat writes a love song about Charlie, "On My Way", that becomes more successful than "Marry Me". Kat realizes it is the day before the mathalon, where she promised to support Lou and Charlie, as she is doing press on The Tonight Show with Bastian. She corrects rumors, stating that she and Bastian are not back together and she did not write "On My Way" for Bastian, but for Charlie. Kat runs out on their performance.

A clueless Kat decides to go after the man she loves. She gets to the airport trying to buy a plane ticket. In the meantime, Charlie and his Maths students attend the mathalon. Kat arrives and meets Parker who convinces a bus driver with 1 000 dollars to drive Kat to the mathalon. Charlie, is trying to help Lou overcome her stage fright with the dance Kat taught her. Lou gets the answer right, however their team loses. Kat comes to the front and holds up a sign asking Charlie to marry her again, to which Charlie agrees.

Kat, Charlie, and Lou become a happy family with their dog. In the credits, a series of couples and their stories of how they met are shown. The end.

Script my life, I live vicariously through Kat Valdez. Unlike Kat, though, I'm jaded and skeptical about romantic relationships. I do love the idea of love. I wish that I was as hopeful as Kat. She like J lo, never give up on love. Being with someone who makes you feel the feels. I respect Kat for not marrying Bastian, I'm not too sure about her impulsive decision to marry Charlie. But as she says,"If you want something different, you have to do something different. So you make a different choice." IRL, I wouldn't choose Charlie. He's bland, and has an annoying self righteousness. Like the song, "I am the love of my life", I would take time to explore that love. Kat is a love addict. Love addiction isn't cute or romantic. The fact that she even entertained and was attracted to Bastian says a lot. I am a Kat. I've had a fair share of Bastians.

The soundtrack is fire though. I feel that J lo's vocals are decent especially on 'After love' and 'Marry Me' ballad. Mios dios, the outfits! J lo was serving drip after drip. I loved the pink nude dress that she wore to the school dance. Her wedding dress ia everything. And of course the gold dress that she wore as she sang 'Marry Me' ballad. As for the Colombian hottie, Maluma! Maluma esta caliente, por favor bautízame en agua bendita!


If you want something different, you have to do something different. So you make a different choice.

Kat Valdez

Until the next flick...

... sigue tu corazón pero escucha tu mente!

P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Script My Life: Grown-ish Season 2 Episode 18

I choose ME! We watch and I write; correlating fictional characters with reasonably realistic plot lines to our lives. Script my life! I chose not to review a whole season of a series, neither a film this week. I was struggling to write an authentic story about something that spoke to me through visual consumption. And then I felt emotions erupt as I watched the latest episode of Grown-ish. While I sometimes relate to the protagonist, Zoey Johnson, she annoys me more as I watch this second season. I must forgive her because she's a spoilt 19 year old who is yet to learn the realities of growing up. But she does these really annoying things like being judgemental and being up in people's business. I do love Nomi, Sky (Halle Bailey) and Doug (Diggy Simmons) though. Their characters have so much to offer to the show and audience. In this week's episode titled, 'Nice for What', the young women of the coming-of-age sitcom had to make hard relationship choice...