Skip to main content

Script My Life: Marry Me

If you want something different, you have to do something different!




Woo, Jennifer Lopez really grated the cheese on this rom-com but I love it! Yes, this Valentines day, J Lo reminds us of all our fantasies of what really love should be. Jenny has always been a girl who loves love. So art somewhat imitates life. Following her reunion with former fiancé, Ben Affleck, we are definitely seeing Jenny from the Block 2.0. Who knew that getting back together with 'the one that got away' two decades later would revive romantically in J lo?

We all know that Jennifer loves to be booed up. She's been married three times, engaged five or six (I've lost count). I believe relationship experts would consider her a love addict. But that's none of our business!

Just in time for Valentines day, a romantic comedy simply titled, "Marry Me". The stars Jennifer Lopez, Owen Wilson, Maluma, John Bradley, Sarah Silverman, and Chloe Coleman.

The movie opens with the title track, "Marry Me", with J lo-esque protagonist, Kat Valdez (Jennifer Lopez). Valdez is a popstar who's been unlucky in love two failed high-profile marriages. She then dates another entertainer Bastian (Maluma), whom she makes beautiful music with. The star couple gain a chart-topper, Marry Me and they plan to hold their wedding ceremony in front of a streaming audience at one of Kat's concerts. There's a media frenzy over Kat and Bastian's upcoming nuptials. People are curious about the wedding dress, bridesmaids and celebrity guests. However other media are skeptical about this union particularly given Kat's past relationships.

On the other side, is ordinary, and rather vanilla, Charlie Gilbert, a divorced math teacher. He has a daughter, Lou, whom he changed school and isn't too enthusiastic about him. She perceives him as uncool compared to her mother and stepfather. Charlie has a fellow teacher friend Parker who's looking forward to attending Kat Valdez show with her new girlfriend. Unfortunately Parler gets dumped and asks Charlie to attend the concert with  Lou.

At the concert, a scantily clad Kat sings her song, 'Church'. The backup dancers are dressed as nuns, and the crowd is enjoying the performance. In the midst of the crowd is Charlie who's holding up a placard written 'Marry Me'. Parker and Charlie are enjoying the show. Kat goes backstage for a wardrobe change.

She wears a beautiful diamond encrusted wedding gown. However, right before Kat is prepared to go to the altar, tabloids uncover Bastian's infidelity with her assistant Tyra. Kat's team including her manager Cole, are trying to avoid showing her. She then grabs her managers phone and watches the  broadcast. In distress, she makes a speech about love and its failures. Kat sees Charlie in the crowd holding Parker's sign reading "Marry Me". To Charlie and everyone else's surprise, she impulsively decides to marry him. Unsure, Charlie goes onstage and marries Kat in front of the world. After the ceremony, Kat refuses to speak with Bastian or Tyra as she and Charlie leave.

Charlie tries to offer some words of comfort a broken hearted Kat on their way home. The media is in a frenzy, speculating about Kat's mental state. The following day, Kat speaks to Cole and decides to stay married to Charlie for a few months to put a positive spin on the situation. He reluctantly agrees, not wanting to cause a stir in either of their personal lives. Charlie poses for media appearances, though he is uncomfortable with the scrutiny.

Charlie offers Kat a more realistic experience as they after spending time together away from media and her management. Kat meets Charlie's students and Lou. She shares her stage fright experiences with the students and dances with them. He eventually asks Kat to his school dance as a date, and she accepts. Kat is impressed by the Glee club's rendition of her hit 'Marry'. She then gives a private performance of her song 'What comes after love?' Charlie and Kat return to Charlie's place where the two kiss and have sex. They spend the next few weeks together in a real romantic relationship. Charlie prepares his math team for a mathalon with Kat's encouragement to the students. She teaches Lou, who has stage fright, to dance to take her mind off her anxiety.

Bastian shows up to announce that "Marry Me" has been nominated for a Grammy, Kat's first nomination. Charlie is wary of the fact that Kat and Bastian will have to perform together again, but Kat insists it is over between them. Kat and Bastian perform the ballad version of 'Marry Me'. The chemistry between the two ia undeniable and this makes Charlie insecure. He then shows up to the nomination party where breaks up Kat. He states that he doesn't fit into Kat's world and that their marriage was not real.

Kat writes a love song about Charlie, "On My Way", that becomes more successful than "Marry Me". Kat realizes it is the day before the mathalon, where she promised to support Lou and Charlie, as she is doing press on The Tonight Show with Bastian. She corrects rumors, stating that she and Bastian are not back together and she did not write "On My Way" for Bastian, but for Charlie. Kat runs out on their performance.

A clueless Kat decides to go after the man she loves. She gets to the airport trying to buy a plane ticket. In the meantime, Charlie and his Maths students attend the mathalon. Kat arrives and meets Parker who convinces a bus driver with 1 000 dollars to drive Kat to the mathalon. Charlie, is trying to help Lou overcome her stage fright with the dance Kat taught her. Lou gets the answer right, however their team loses. Kat comes to the front and holds up a sign asking Charlie to marry her again, to which Charlie agrees.

Kat, Charlie, and Lou become a happy family with their dog. In the credits, a series of couples and their stories of how they met are shown. The end.

Script my life, I live vicariously through Kat Valdez. Unlike Kat, though, I'm jaded and skeptical about romantic relationships. I do love the idea of love. I wish that I was as hopeful as Kat. She like J lo, never give up on love. Being with someone who makes you feel the feels. I respect Kat for not marrying Bastian, I'm not too sure about her impulsive decision to marry Charlie. But as she says,"If you want something different, you have to do something different. So you make a different choice." IRL, I wouldn't choose Charlie. He's bland, and has an annoying self righteousness. Like the song, "I am the love of my life", I would take time to explore that love. Kat is a love addict. Love addiction isn't cute or romantic. The fact that she even entertained and was attracted to Bastian says a lot. I am a Kat. I've had a fair share of Bastians.

The soundtrack is fire though. I feel that J lo's vocals are decent especially on 'After love' and 'Marry Me' ballad. Mios dios, the outfits! J lo was serving drip after drip. I loved the pink nude dress that she wore to the school dance. Her wedding dress ia everything. And of course the gold dress that she wore as she sang 'Marry Me' ballad. As for the Colombian hottie, Maluma! Maluma esta caliente, por favor bautízame en agua bendita!


If you want something different, you have to do something different. So you make a different choice.

Kat Valdez

Until the next flick...

... sigue tu corazón pero escucha tu mente!

P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it… I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn? "In my own rule book,   CONSISTENCY is very important." In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney

Script My Life: The Greatest Roles

Cheers to a new month, new season and more scripts... I really need new flicks to watch! I will admit that I haven't caught up with the late 2018 and early 2019 movies. But I know that after this blog post, y'all will hook me up. XOXO in advance! We are in the month of August! The second month in the second half of the year! A happy birthday to all the Leos and Virgos! Some of the greats were born this month including my beautiful daughter, Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston. August babies are strong willed and have leadership bred in them. They are just a forceful lot! In the Shona language, August is ' Nyamavhuvhu ' which loosely translated means 'windy'. August babies aren't gentle breezes, they are the tornados and hurricanes; but we love them still! The month itself on this side of the hemisphere is windy! But the wind comes to somewhat renew and pave way for the brief spring season (in Africa, of course!) Wrapping up July, and starting o