Skip to main content

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken.



I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see.

Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her.

Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus, Nobuhle would take me by surprise as a singer. I was blown away when I heard her on the motivational single, 'Ngizophakhama' (I will rise). This was the introduction to an artist called uBu (You be you), a moniker she uses for her personal blog.

Months ago she sent me a message with regards to her debut book. I asked her to send it through. I will share further in the next coming days what I did with this read on a larger scale. For now, I review this book within my personal space. Titled, 'The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen', Nobuhle is the protagonist of this book.

She takes readers through her different relationship experiences. She is the 'queen' who met ten 'kings' at different stages of her life. She chronicles the timeline of each relationship from the start until the break up. She ends each chapter with what she calls 'coins', which are lessons that the reader can take away.

"They did not need me because I was stuck in a zone where I was hoping to make a replica of what I had lost."

Nobuhle reflects upon the root causes of the disintegration of each relationship. It all started when she broke her first love's heart. He was the 'High school king'. As she digs further, she discovers that the need for male approval began with the father figure in her life. With each relationship she seeks validation and security. She pressures herself to suit her suitors whilst losing herself in them. At the end of the book, she realises all her mistakes.

This book is relatable to the millenial woman. She uses simple language with pop culture references that speak to Gen Y and Z. In an age where self love is now a priority, the writer offers an introspective view of relationships. She is focusing more on young women to find themselves before desiring to finding a partner. She is encouraging fathers and father figures to set a standard for female children to look up to. It is a father's responsibility to show his daughters what true love looks like. He needs to teach them self worth so that they can stand up for themselves when they are not treated well.

'The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen' is linked to a series on Nobuhle's blog, uBu. Titled, 'Until It Happens to You', the writer goes into detail of the challenges and traumas of one of her relationships. 

As taken from her book, Nobuhle is a Zimbabwean writer who grew up in many parts of Zimbabwe. The Kings that didn't need this Queen is her first book to be published. She has sharpened her writing skills over the years through her blog titled YouBeYou, where she touches on life experiences, sex, sexuality and relationships.

You may find her work on her website uBu.

You might want to get yourself a copy of 'The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen'.

Catch you on the next read...

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E



Comments

Popular Posts

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

Chocolate!

Oogling and drooling as I lust after the delicious,yummy chocolate abs of...gush...Trey Songz in a music video. My male friends look at me as if I'm some perverted male...maybe I am. Sadly as a woman such men are just a mirage in a desert full of pot bellied men.Yes,I said it!I believe I speak on behalf of my sisters,who have been termed 'overambitious',and having high standards in the looks department.We would love to see more abs and less flab. Why our brothers keep mount Everests of flesh I fail to understand.Worse still,men boobs that could hold shares in a dairy company. Who would blame me.I become a pervert because Usher's six-pack makes me want to eat of it,or I'm actually envious of Generations' Queen Moroka having 'Muscle man' Lungile,hold her in his arms.Yes,guilty as charged! What my brothers should understand is most women already have stuffed toys,a new addition in the form of a man is not adorable.A little working out w

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it… I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn? "In my own rule book,   CONSISTENCY is very important." In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney