Skip to main content

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken.



I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see.

Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her.

Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus, Nobuhle would take me by surprise as a singer. I was blown away when I heard her on the motivational single, 'Ngizophakhama' (I will rise). This was the introduction to an artist called uBu (You be you), a moniker she uses for her personal blog.

Months ago she sent me a message with regards to her debut book. I asked her to send it through. I will share further in the next coming days what I did with this read on a larger scale. For now, I review this book within my personal space. Titled, 'The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen', Nobuhle is the protagonist of this book.

She takes readers through her different relationship experiences. She is the 'queen' who met ten 'kings' at different stages of her life. She chronicles the timeline of each relationship from the start until the break up. She ends each chapter with what she calls 'coins', which are lessons that the reader can take away.

"They did not need me because I was stuck in a zone where I was hoping to make a replica of what I had lost."

Nobuhle reflects upon the root causes of the disintegration of each relationship. It all started when she broke her first love's heart. He was the 'High school king'. As she digs further, she discovers that the need for male approval began with the father figure in her life. With each relationship she seeks validation and security. She pressures herself to suit her suitors whilst losing herself in them. At the end of the book, she realises all her mistakes.

This book is relatable to the millenial woman. She uses simple language with pop culture references that speak to Gen Y and Z. In an age where self love is now a priority, the writer offers an introspective view of relationships. She is focusing more on young women to find themselves before desiring to finding a partner. She is encouraging fathers and father figures to set a standard for female children to look up to. It is a father's responsibility to show his daughters what true love looks like. He needs to teach them self worth so that they can stand up for themselves when they are not treated well.

'The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen' is linked to a series on Nobuhle's blog, uBu. Titled, 'Until It Happens to You', the writer goes into detail of the challenges and traumas of one of her relationships. 

As taken from her book, Nobuhle is a Zimbabwean writer who grew up in many parts of Zimbabwe. The Kings that didn't need this Queen is her first book to be published. She has sharpened her writing skills over the years through her blog titled YouBeYou, where she touches on life experiences, sex, sexuality and relationships.

You may find her work on her website uBu.

You might want to get yourself a copy of 'The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen'.

Catch you on the next read...

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E



Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

MTV VMA Review: Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly!

Yaaaas queen! Joy overwhelmed me by just watching Missy Elliott's MTV VMA performance. It's been 16 years since Missy last performed at the VMAs. That year, Missy was joined by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland, as they proved to us what genius looks like. Missy opened her performance with her latest single, "Throw It Back" before throwing fans back to her hits from yesteryear. She performed a medley that included 'The Rain', 'Get Ur Freak On', 'One Minute Man', 'Pass that Dutch' and 'Lose Control'. With each performance the 4-time Grammy winner invoked looks from each music video. She also reunited with dancer, actress and singer, Alyson Stoner, who remains a superb dancer. For those who aren't in the know, Alyson started dancing for Missy when she was a little girl. She became a staple in most of Missy's music videos. In 2015, Alyson paid tribute to the legend with a viral video of Missy's greatest hits. Missy...