Skip to main content

MCM: If He Gives You His Socks, He's a Keeper

10 Signs That He's Into You


Oh my, have I fallen into the same trap of lists? Lists do make the world go round and that's why we are trying to make it onto at least one. My goal, Forbes.

Cher once sang if you want to know if he loves you it's in his kiss. In a tète-â-tète with a male acquaintance, I shared that it's easy to tell if a guy is into you. More so, where you stand with him. Adding on, my male friends and relatives have stated the tell-tale signs of a king who's there to stay, or a jester who's out to play.

Experience is a painful yet unforgettable teacher. Through the hard way, I have learnt not to fall. It's easy to get warped into an enamoured state when you least expect it. You need to guard your heart with the type of security that Alcatraz had. Nothing comes in, and it's hard for anything to go out - that thing is your heart and its affection.

My collection of notes for 'To All the Boys that I Loved Before' author include signs of an intentional man. A man who is pursuing you, lady. One who is making it clear of the type of relationship he desires with you. The heading of these noted is,"If he gives you his socks, he's a keeper."

We all love the list section from our favourite girly magazines. I have been a fan of that train ever since my teens. The more blunt versions can be found in men's magazines. Let's not forget 'Think Like a Man" and 'Manology' helping femaledom decode the baffling mind of males.

My addition to the above is from a personal perspective. I now know who is the grenade catcher in my love story. He possesses the qualities of the various experiences moulded into one. This isn't a check list but it does help to check the list.  All the boys that I loved before were not always love interests. Instead, they were pebbles of wisdom redirecting expectations. Momentarily, coming into my life, each showed me what a man with intention looks and behaves like.

I share these notes with you my beloved readers. Look at the good timing for this post on man crush Monday. Why should we keep him when he gives us his socks? Below are the 10 signs that he's into you.

1. He reads your blogs

Blogging can be considered a basic chick thing. Still, you tell him that you are a blogger, or own a blog. Him,"What do you blog about?" Me, "My point of view! And that's the title of the blog." Could this lady be one of those cliché bloggers? He asks for the link or better yet looks it up for himself. Bless the effort. Next time you meet, or he calls you,"I love how you articulate your thoughts and even feelings. You are witty, objective and to a larger extent, empathetic." He is religiously following your blog, and making suggestions that you should publish a book. In some cases he might use your blog as topics for his radio show. Hey imitation is the highest level of flattery.

2. He attends your poetry performance

He went to med school or just landed his dream job as an engineer. What in the hell does he know about poetry? Ehm, only that he would like to spend time with you. You are out here trying to be at Warsan Shire level. You are committed to crafting your spoken word performance. He asks about your weekend plan and clearly you're busy. He forfeits beers with the boys to watch you perform. Is he impressed? He asks you to read the poem that he wrote. Lawd, that's a lot of grated cheese. Sweet though!

3. He travels from a foreign country for you birthday

I haven’t had the best birthdays in my life. Mine is often forgotten and I barely get gifts. My resolve is spending time in a space where there's WiFi, with a slice of cheesecake that I would have bought for myself. Add coffee, YouTube videos and a small blanket my birthday is perfect! You can imagine how flattering it is for a guy to just land in the country and surprise you. He spends the whole day with you on your born day. He gets you lunch, and partakes in your YouTube viewing with you. The day is over, he sends his wishes but he's got to leave in the morning because work. Now, that is what we call sacrifice! Can't wait to be jetted off to Zanzibar for a a birthday brunch!  *hides face* A hint and wink!

4. He remembers that you love star gazing

In its complexity adolescence was so much simpler. I was a dreamer, if not whimsical like Cinderella's dress as the mice sing. I wrote poetry and songs whilst watching the night sky. The stars that lit the sky just slightly, gave me hope. Hope of a fulfilled life of love and laughter. Star gazing was a past time shared with my late father, that I carried on until my early adulthood. But adulting is hard so star gazing doesn't fit into the schedule. You highlight in a random tweet about how much you miss star gazing. Guess what? He's the first to respond, with a memory of how much you loved that particular past time. If he remembers intricate details about you, he's been studying you like he's about to write exams. One has to like someone a lot to try and remember things like a food order, or their favourite childhood song.

5. He writes messages for you in a foreign language

He tells you that you have a beautiful smile in Portuguese. Or maybe he sings a love song in Hindi. What significance is a message written in French on your wall? He could have just written it in English but that foreign language twist is kind of romantic. I never read in between the lines because he's a friend. However team 'manglish' decoded that dude is feeling you. A plain 'merci beaucoup' probably iced out that potential. Ouch!  If a guy writes a message or speaks, or sings to you in a foreign language  - please respond with a sexy 'Te amo'. Grazi!

6. He shares his food with you

If he don't even offer you his food, he don't like you. Food brings unity. In all cultures there is a joy that comes from sharing food. I remember a line from the movie, 'The Brothers' about food. "You will know that he loves you when he gives you the last piece of his favourite food." And there you have it. I remember sharing plain chips with a guy. He didn't have much and it was probably his first meal of the day, but he offered to share with me. When he got paid, we went out for lunch and thats equally great. If a dude just eats in front of you whilst he's pursuing you and doesn't offer you food - Run! If food is the way to his heart and he's not sacrificing that, as I said, he's not into you.

7. He pushes you to be the best version of yourself

He gets you off your ass so that you can be the Connie Ferguson, or queen Bey that you are supposed to be. You might even be his muse - you inspire him to be better. He's going to ask you how many articles did you publish in a day. He will call you in and produce your podcast. He will offer to edit your book and add a foreword. He's your total hype man.  If he encourages substance in you, he's a keeper.

8. He introduces you with a title

Now ladies this is very important. How a guy introduces you to his inner circle determines his interests and intentions for you. Steve Harvey pointed that out in his book, 'Think Like a Man, Act Like a Lady.' 'The title a man gives you upon introduction to his inner circle is an indication about how he (really) feels about you.'  If you meet his childhood friends or family members after kicking it for a while and he just introduces with just your name, or calls you his 'friend', kick him to the curb. You deserve a title! If he digs you, he needs to be introducing you with Fabulous', 'Make Me Better,' lyrics. "Imma need a Coretta Scott if I'm gonna be king", or, "Fam, this is ________(add your name). My better half/queen/future Mrs/wifey/the Michelle to my Barack/your makhoti." That's it!

9. He takes his time

We are no longer the generation that waits. It's not cool to have a v card or be celibate. Mature people can have sex upon first interaction to see if they vibe. Now,this guy has been hitting on you for a while. He definitely wants to bang and many are the opportunities to do so, but he doesn't. Instead he takes his time with you. He is working with the above-mentioned signs and actually woos you. Is this man a unicorn or does he have issues on the down low? Still, he's taking his time with you until your crotch starts to burn with fire. When you want to jump his bones, he will use the respect card. He doesn't want to treat you like the others. Deep inside you know that you want to be the One. You both go on that Janet Jackson, 'Let's wait a while.' There you go he puts a ring on it! That's your Russell Wilson or Devon Franklin. 

10. He gives you his socks

As I said earlier, if he gives you his socks, he's a keeper. I don't mean throwing the socks at you when you have cold feet. This man removes your shoes and puts socks on your feet. Throw in a blanket and bingeing on 'Cold Case', he's wifey!

This one you marry in a heartbeat. He cares about your well being. He wants you to be keep warm. When he drops you off at home, he tells you to keep the socks for next time. Lawd, he's just warmed your soul.

BONUS:

As Brownstone sang it, he will say it. Show it. Prove it.

It's not Maths or rocket science...

It's simple!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E


Comments

Popular Posts

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

Chocolate!

Oogling and drooling as I lust after the delicious,yummy chocolate abs of...gush...Trey Songz in a music video. My male friends look at me as if I'm some perverted male...maybe I am. Sadly as a woman such men are just a mirage in a desert full of pot bellied men.Yes,I said it!I believe I speak on behalf of my sisters,who have been termed 'overambitious',and having high standards in the looks department.We would love to see more abs and less flab. Why our brothers keep mount Everests of flesh I fail to understand.Worse still,men boobs that could hold shares in a dairy company. Who would blame me.I become a pervert because Usher's six-pack makes me want to eat of it,or I'm actually envious of Generations' Queen Moroka having 'Muscle man' Lungile,hold her in his arms.Yes,guilty as charged! What my brothers should understand is most women already have stuffed toys,a new addition in the form of a man is not adorable.A little working out w

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it… I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn? "In my own rule book,   CONSISTENCY is very important." In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney