Skip to main content

Single Ladies: Thank You, Next!

I just had the most vivid dream about my high school crush!



I think I love him! But that's a conversation for another day. Hey single ladies, (Beyoncé wave)! How are you beautiful goddesses? I am fine thank you.

The journey is so exciting and evolutionary. To imagine where we started from six years ago to date, the amount of internal change and personal growth. Like you, I'm still single, but I'm now single with a purpose. And I can safely say that I am ready for Mr Put-a-ring-on-it, and the whole shebang - flaws and all. Even my brother's girlfriend affirmed that I am a mature woman ready to settle down. But it's not the narrative for all the single ladies and that's okay!

My older sister and I always have these conversations about personal growth and self love. She is a wellness and mental health consultant with a background in psychiatry. I am a work in progress with a nursing background, psychology and psychiatry included. I also use my personal experiences as the example and testimony to assist others on their own journey.

We are both on the path of self healing, discovery and love as we navigate through relationships. The other day we discussed the issue of relationship types. We went in about how we love and types. I explained to my sister that my type, now, is a man who is intentional in pursuing a committed relationship with me. To her, that was a very profound and mature statement. She applauded me for my journey to self love. Yes, it's taken me four years to get here.

My type now is a man who is intentional in pursuing a committed relationship with me.

Our conversation comes at the height of dealing with a recent hurt. I actually had to confront the fact that a male had broken my heart. But I think that it was more of feeling humiliated than anything else. Whilst dealing with the guilt and shame, an epiphany struck me. I'm finally at peace with the one poltergeist that haunted me for a long time...Mr X.(Yes,him!) I can say his name without cringing. Actually, someone can talk about him and I don't even flinch. Oh yes, he's so yesterday like a pair of hipsters. I do say that from the bottom of my zen self.

I low key enjoy Ariana Grande's music! I absolutely love 'Thank you, next'. From the centennial songstress, the lyrics speak profoundly to me.  It's an appreciation of lessons learnt from past relationships. Oh my, I am a fascinating woman because of the males who came into my life. Not all males were negative. I previously highlighted about the 'ideal man' through experiences with the men that I interacted with. Single ladies, we are appreciating our exes as we prepare for the next...the ONE! Mr Put-a-ring-on-it!

Let me take you to church for a little bit. In the Bible there's the book of Esther. Esther, born Hadassah, was an orphan Jewish girl with an influential calling in her life. Her uncle Mordecai, advises her to apply to be king Xerxes' queen. Now in my head, I play this story like this. It was like a pageant, where all the women were fine with different qualities. They spent months being prepared to be presented before the Persian king. Esther was groomed, she had a makeover - hair, nails, and clothes. She was probably a five or six at the start but became an eight or nine after the boot camp. Then the day of the qualifications came, all the single, beautiful ladies strut their stuff in front of king Xerxes. But the one that caught the king's eye was Esther. She won his heart to the point when her divine purpose was meant to serve, the dude chose his wife's word over his advisor.

The lesson: Be prepared like the brownie motto.

I don't wish heartbreak or pain on anyone but if you go through it, it's a valuable lesson to learn. The  value of these lessons only come when you don't blame the guy for his shortcomings. You need to wear your big girl panties and acknowledge your contribution to the disintegration or non existence of your relationship, or situationship. At times the failure of the relationship is a reflection of dysfunctions one has to deal with. We all have issues, just ask Julia Michaels, but the question is, do you want to deal with them and grow? Pain is addictive, bitterness makes good company but is it really worth it? It took me a long while to realise my own dysfunctions when it came to Mr X. Funny enough, that dysfunction  continued with all the 'rebounds' after him. My mentor and uncle, are the two men who enlightened me about dealing with, and healing from that. I was stubborn as a mule, but eventually I budged. I didn't want to be mad as hell or bitter. My mentor taught me to believe that I deserved to be loved and treated well.

During my healing process, there was Sam and Tom and everyone else. Sam was patient. Tom was a gentleman. They weren't exes, just amazing guys who reminded me how a 'good' woman should be treated. And yes, QJ, and Summer Dream, both a breath of fresh air! I can sing along to the part, "One taught me love, One taught me patience," with confidence. As single ladies we need to appreciate the journey.

Some women are more fortunate than others, they don't kiss too many frogs before finding the one. Others, like myself, have to become a woman of substance to appreciate their Barack Obama. When you are not blinded by the scales of anger, pain or self loathing, you see clearer. When you have unpacked your baggage, you strut into the next relationship with only hand luggage. You are able to discern the demons from the angels and resist the devil so that he will flee. When you go through your journey, you are Esther, in preparation. You are preparing for something more meaningful. You are preparing for something out of the ordinary. You aren't just a basic chick!

'You burn, you learn' is my life mantra, and lyrics to Alanis Morissette's song. The point is that you acknowledge that fire burns, so you won't play around with it. Our assignment single ladies is to draft a list of the exes, even the one day stands. We create three columns with the headings: his fault, my flaws and lesson learnt. An example, I wrote, Sagittarius. His fault - immature, my flaws - tolerating bullshit, and the lesson learnt, do not be unequally yoked. It's not about being hard on yourself, or playing the blame game. It's introspection meets retrospect. You are looking inward to solve the exterior. The next part of the assignment is the 'forgiveness list'. One side of your page you write, 'I forgive myself for' and on the other side you pen down, 'I forgive him for'. Please do take your time with this exercise. The end goal is to find inner peace and create a positive outlook towards relationships.

As you practice this you will feel the load lift up from your shoulders. Practice does make perfect, and once you have perfected the art of letting go, there's space for 'him'. And believe me, you will know!

Let's get the microphone, and sing karaoke. "Thank you, next, Thank you, next...I'm so grateful for my ex!" Wink!

Until the next time, toss your hair, get your nails did, eyebrows on fleek, wear that freakum dress and recite, 'Still I rise'...

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E 

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...