Skip to main content

When The Going Gets Tough

Lack is the mother of hustle and innovation!


I have just finished doing my own hair. I spent the whole winter without a protective hairstyle for my natural hair. My hair is damaged (mainly due to stress), and mismanagement because I have run out of product. Haven't afforded a hairdresser in a while. Yes, it's been a rough couple of months. During the last church service, I went for prayer and counselling. The lady praying for me, said, "You look like a go-getter to me!" Haven't really felt like that of late, but I have in the past, made a dollar out of fifteen cents.

I remember sharing a testimony with a former manager. I told her about how I entered the employment field three and half years after giving birth. My first job was as a sales person for a new product on the market. I had no previous qualifications in sales or marketing but I had the zeal. Though I and the rest of the employees got screwed over, I held onto the CEO's words. He said to us during a meeting, "Your work ethic will determine where you will be in life," and then he continued, "I can already see entrepreneurs amongst some of you." He must have been meaning me, I thought.

I wrote a vision board in 2010, then later revised it in 2012. One of my goals was to run a restaurant. I love food! I'm still learning to perfect my culinary skills, however, my passion to bring joy and people together through sharing meals is powerful. That vision hasn't come to pass yet. The vision that did come to pass, was my dream to become editor of a prestigious magazine. Guess what? I have been editor of two prestigious, online magazines and a contributing writer to many publications.

I went on to share with my former manager, my journey to the job that she hired me for. I have no college qualifications due to several 'life' circumstances. However, with access to the internet, I have educated myself. I have practised and executed the skills learnt which over time, I have excelled. I remember during a hard time at a workplace, I would search for WiFi hotspots. I became an expect at working with minimal internet access. I would post content consistently whilst standing by a the corner of a college in the CBD. I even applied for YALI (Mandela Fellowship) program whilst standing behind a building that had open access to the internet. I didn't get the fellowship but the following year, I received a call to be editor of an online magazine. This opportunity came through the consistency of the work that I put out. My work impressed my then new boss.

Fortunately, my brother offered me workspace at his office with free Wi-Fi. Hallelujah, no more exposing myself to skin cancer by standing by street corners. Mybwork ethic impressed my brother so much that the following year, he referred me to the woman, who became my manager. I think it now makes sense what the church counselor meant by go-getter...I guess.

Ever since my father passed away, I had several limitations. Growing up we were cushioned by the perks that came from my father's job. He loved the finer things in life and refused mediocrity. His death slapped me in the face with the harsh reality - not everyone  is like my dad. I learnt to perm and plait my own hair because I no longer went to the saloon. I used to save my pocket money and buy myself clothes from Edgars and Truthworths. Imagine, I was shopping from stores that civil servants and working class individuals. Imagine me, a high school kid, affording at that level. I wanted to maintain standards set by my father. Such determination showed in other areas of my life growing up. I remember when I paid my first tithes at church from the pocket money that my older sister sent me. I then started selling sweets and paid tithes on a weekly basis. I have always been faithful in my tithes, when income is streaming in that is.

There are so many stories of my determination that I could share. The biggest lesson learnt is that lack or poverty can be a blessing for your breakthrough. Lack encourages you to step out of your comfort zone and think bigger, and smarter. It pushes you to realise that you could be and have so much better. I mentioned in a review about my favourite movies that I am fascinated by the mafia. I am also intrigued by drug cartels from El Chapo, Pablo Escobar, to Griselda Blanco. Their hustles were driven by their backgrounds, often of poverty. I mentioned to a few friends that we need to have the hustle of drug cartels. Mind, I'm not here to condone illegal activities. We all know it's either jail or death if you tread on those grounds. The point is to include passion, determination and strategy as we go through this thing called 'life'.

No one will hand things on a silver platter for you. Not all of us were born with silver spoons in our mouths. Some of us have to spray silver on rusty platters to shine. I am a firm believer in doing your best and letting God do the rest. The universe rewards intention. Some things might not happen at the time that you want, but they will happen eventually. I remember that in 2013, I wanted to work at a certain radio station. I got a job at that particular radio station in 2018. That station was on my vision board. I had no idea how that was going to happen because I had tried to get my foot in the door. It eventually happened and I learnt a lot during that experience.

Not all of us were born with silver spoons in our mouths. Some of us have to spray silver on rusty platters to shine.

My major goal is to be financially emancipated! I no longer want to live a life of begging for crumbs of love or life. I desire to bake the cake and eat it - all of it. I want to break the chains of poverty from my family. I want to demystify the stereotypes about black people and their attitudes towards money. My daughter should inherit great wealth from the labour of my hands. For this reason I do whatever it takes that includes working for other people - experience and network. I collaborate with several creatives and entrepreneurs - execution of skills and support systems. And I use the little resources to create the brand that I desire - consistency and visibility.

Yes, we are living in perilous times where prices go up and the standard of living goes down. 90% of the nation is unemployed. Ironically, according to statistics, Zimbabwe has the highest literacy rate of over 90% on the continent of Africa. So we are a bunch of educated bums! Most of the graduates have become dealers of some sort on the streets. Young women have found employment as 'blessees'. The youth make up almost 75% of the country’s population yet they do not own any resources or advantageous positions of influence. The going is getting tougher but how do we return to the vision board? How do we steer ourselves towards our life purpose and goals?

By taking it one day at a time with intention. We need to do more than just survive; we need to start living. Remember that street corners aren't the end of it. Street corners are a means to an end. Don't stay stuck!

Lack is the mother of hustle and innovation!

As my former radio colleagues say, "Get up and do something."

When the going gets tough, the tough has to go! Joy comes in the morning...

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

Chocolate!

Oogling and drooling as I lust after the delicious,yummy chocolate abs of...gush...Trey Songz in a music video. My male friends look at me as if I'm some perverted male...maybe I am. Sadly as a woman such men are just a mirage in a desert full of pot bellied men.Yes,I said it!I believe I speak on behalf of my sisters,who have been termed 'overambitious',and having high standards in the looks department.We would love to see more abs and less flab. Why our brothers keep mount Everests of flesh I fail to understand.Worse still,men boobs that could hold shares in a dairy company. Who would blame me.I become a pervert because Usher's six-pack makes me want to eat of it,or I'm actually envious of Generations' Queen Moroka having 'Muscle man' Lungile,hold her in his arms.Yes,guilty as charged! What my brothers should understand is most women already have stuffed toys,a new addition in the form of a man is not adorable.A little working out w

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it… I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn? "In my own rule book,   CONSISTENCY is very important." In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney