Skip to main content

When The Going Gets Tough

Lack is the mother of hustle and innovation!


I have just finished doing my own hair. I spent the whole winter without a protective hairstyle for my natural hair. My hair is damaged (mainly due to stress), and mismanagement because I have run out of product. Haven't afforded a hairdresser in a while. Yes, it's been a rough couple of months. During the last church service, I went for prayer and counselling. The lady praying for me, said, "You look like a go-getter to me!" Haven't really felt like that of late, but I have in the past, made a dollar out of fifteen cents.

I remember sharing a testimony with a former manager. I told her about how I entered the employment field three and half years after giving birth. My first job was as a sales person for a new product on the market. I had no previous qualifications in sales or marketing but I had the zeal. Though I and the rest of the employees got screwed over, I held onto the CEO's words. He said to us during a meeting, "Your work ethic will determine where you will be in life," and then he continued, "I can already see entrepreneurs amongst some of you." He must have been meaning me, I thought.

I wrote a vision board in 2010, then later revised it in 2012. One of my goals was to run a restaurant. I love food! I'm still learning to perfect my culinary skills, however, my passion to bring joy and people together through sharing meals is powerful. That vision hasn't come to pass yet. The vision that did come to pass, was my dream to become editor of a prestigious magazine. Guess what? I have been editor of two prestigious, online magazines and a contributing writer to many publications.

I went on to share with my former manager, my journey to the job that she hired me for. I have no college qualifications due to several 'life' circumstances. However, with access to the internet, I have educated myself. I have practised and executed the skills learnt which over time, I have excelled. I remember during a hard time at a workplace, I would search for WiFi hotspots. I became an expect at working with minimal internet access. I would post content consistently whilst standing by a the corner of a college in the CBD. I even applied for YALI (Mandela Fellowship) program whilst standing behind a building that had open access to the internet. I didn't get the fellowship but the following year, I received a call to be editor of an online magazine. This opportunity came through the consistency of the work that I put out. My work impressed my then new boss.

Fortunately, my brother offered me workspace at his office with free Wi-Fi. Hallelujah, no more exposing myself to skin cancer by standing by street corners. Mybwork ethic impressed my brother so much that the following year, he referred me to the woman, who became my manager. I think it now makes sense what the church counselor meant by go-getter...I guess.

Ever since my father passed away, I had several limitations. Growing up we were cushioned by the perks that came from my father's job. He loved the finer things in life and refused mediocrity. His death slapped me in the face with the harsh reality - not everyone  is like my dad. I learnt to perm and plait my own hair because I no longer went to the saloon. I used to save my pocket money and buy myself clothes from Edgars and Truthworths. Imagine, I was shopping from stores that civil servants and working class individuals. Imagine me, a high school kid, affording at that level. I wanted to maintain standards set by my father. Such determination showed in other areas of my life growing up. I remember when I paid my first tithes at church from the pocket money that my older sister sent me. I then started selling sweets and paid tithes on a weekly basis. I have always been faithful in my tithes, when income is streaming in that is.

There are so many stories of my determination that I could share. The biggest lesson learnt is that lack or poverty can be a blessing for your breakthrough. Lack encourages you to step out of your comfort zone and think bigger, and smarter. It pushes you to realise that you could be and have so much better. I mentioned in a review about my favourite movies that I am fascinated by the mafia. I am also intrigued by drug cartels from El Chapo, Pablo Escobar, to Griselda Blanco. Their hustles were driven by their backgrounds, often of poverty. I mentioned to a few friends that we need to have the hustle of drug cartels. Mind, I'm not here to condone illegal activities. We all know it's either jail or death if you tread on those grounds. The point is to include passion, determination and strategy as we go through this thing called 'life'.

No one will hand things on a silver platter for you. Not all of us were born with silver spoons in our mouths. Some of us have to spray silver on rusty platters to shine. I am a firm believer in doing your best and letting God do the rest. The universe rewards intention. Some things might not happen at the time that you want, but they will happen eventually. I remember that in 2013, I wanted to work at a certain radio station. I got a job at that particular radio station in 2018. That station was on my vision board. I had no idea how that was going to happen because I had tried to get my foot in the door. It eventually happened and I learnt a lot during that experience.

Not all of us were born with silver spoons in our mouths. Some of us have to spray silver on rusty platters to shine.

My major goal is to be financially emancipated! I no longer want to live a life of begging for crumbs of love or life. I desire to bake the cake and eat it - all of it. I want to break the chains of poverty from my family. I want to demystify the stereotypes about black people and their attitudes towards money. My daughter should inherit great wealth from the labour of my hands. For this reason I do whatever it takes that includes working for other people - experience and network. I collaborate with several creatives and entrepreneurs - execution of skills and support systems. And I use the little resources to create the brand that I desire - consistency and visibility.

Yes, we are living in perilous times where prices go up and the standard of living goes down. 90% of the nation is unemployed. Ironically, according to statistics, Zimbabwe has the highest literacy rate of over 90% on the continent of Africa. So we are a bunch of educated bums! Most of the graduates have become dealers of some sort on the streets. Young women have found employment as 'blessees'. The youth make up almost 75% of the country’s population yet they do not own any resources or advantageous positions of influence. The going is getting tougher but how do we return to the vision board? How do we steer ourselves towards our life purpose and goals?

By taking it one day at a time with intention. We need to do more than just survive; we need to start living. Remember that street corners aren't the end of it. Street corners are a means to an end. Don't stay stuck!

Lack is the mother of hustle and innovation!

As my former radio colleagues say, "Get up and do something."

When the going gets tough, the tough has to go! Joy comes in the morning...

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

Sing My Life: Top 10 Disney Songs

Disney has etched some of the best songs that create a magical world, and even life! For as long as this blog has existed, my readers know that I love Disney movies, and the soundtracks. Despite following the original less fluffed up versions of all our Disney faves, I'm spellbound by the magic.  Today prepare your vocal pipes, wear your crowns and hold on tight. Our script my life is musical; we're going to sing my life. Let's be light and fun today! Here's my top 10 Disney songs. 1. Beauty and the Beast 'Certain as the sun, rising in the east, tears as old as time, song as old as rhyme, Beauty and the Beast.' Whether it's Mrs Potts or the iconic Celine Dion and Peabo Bryson, the title track makes me all warm inside. It's the melody, the lyrics and the moment within the classic animation that make this one of the best Disney songs. Sing my life: Beauty lies beneath the ugly 2. A Whole New World The whole magic carpet ride is exhilarating even if you don...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...