Skip to main content

The Idea of It

At this moment, we need to see things as they are instead of the idea of what they are supposed to be!



I've been staring in the mirror and wondering, who wouldn't love fine ass me? I'm more confident about who I am than when I was 25, or even 21. After years of the healing process, I acknowledge that I'm 'loveable'. It doesn't always feel like that on certain days but I do work on it. And it ain't easy! But I choose to see myself as well deserving.

As I have chronicled, I haven't done too well in the relationship department. And as I write this, Rihanna’s 'Same Ol' Mistakes' plays in the background. A friend of mine asked me, "What do you really want from a relationship? Who is your ideal man?"

Knowing me by now, I like to divorce myself from 'ideals'. Ideals are a fiction of reality. They give us false hope instead of dealing with what's deep down. But to answer my friend's question, I need a man who loves me without judgement and sees me. Sees me for who I truly am, whom I'm destined to be and sees me in the crowd. Of course, we have to be compatible, be able to hold intelligent conversations, he is empathetic as well as open minded. Look, I don't need to be judged for my past, or be belittled for my process of growth.

In 2010, I wrote a whole checklist of what 'he' must be like. Last year, I found the qualities in four men (yes, they have earned the right to be called 'men'). I have never dated any of them, but I have known them at different stages of my life. Each one of them played a significant role in writing my love story. They showed me what love looks like, and they worked towards my vision. They moulded the woman that I am, whether they know it or not.

Firstly, my high school crush Genesis. I call him Genesis because my juvenile affections for him birthed the poet in me. The first poem that I ever wrote was about him. Sadly, he's never known that he's been on the receiving end of words weaved from 'unrequited love'. Genesis and I still keep in touch to this day. He even remembers some little quirks about me, which is flattering. Genesis is a Libra like my late father. He loves family, inner circles and the finer things in life. He is a metrosexual to the core - cleans up well, and loves beautiful things.

I love Genesis because he reminds me of my first love. He is a great uncle making him father material, he is ambitious so we could build empires together and he has a big heart. Because we have known each other since we were teenagers he would be ideal. But he is not the one! We move on to two men that I met at the same time. I begin with my mentor. If he wasn't taken, he would be the husband that I have always needed. The three qualities that I have always admired in my mentor is sound judgement, compassion and an open mind. He might not always agree with you but he empathizes. While he is a laidback he is actually fun and well travelled. He even taught me to salsa, apart from the fact that we have a shared love for Spanish music. His kindness, counselling and prayers helped unveil the woman in me. We dealt with the brokenness and began putting the pieces together. And that's work in progress. He is a man who holds my reverence and admiration, but obviously, he is not the one.

There is also QJ (after Quincy Jones, the producer that he aspires to be like). When QJ and I met it was like the clash of the titans. He thought that I was a bitch and I assumed that he was an asshole. Fast forward to today, we have been helping each other out in our careers. He's mellow yet driven. I'm a total whirlwind if not, tsunami, but driven. QJ showed sacrifice as busy as his schedule is. He has made time for me and my needs. In return, I have offered friendship and support. Now QJ complements me, a lot, but he's not the one.

Then there's Summer Dream! Summer Dream is like a Baywatch slow motion. He's tall, ambitious, athletic, intelligent and comes from affluence. Oh my, his square jaw is well chiselled, plus he smells nice. He too, reminds me of my late father. He has certain quirks such as playing chess, reading books, his love for coffee and travel. Summer Dream comes in as a challenge. A good challenge! I like to be kept on my toes especially when it comes to career goals. He always would ask, did you achieve your targets today? Sounds like the Barack to my Michelle. The thought of Summer Dream makes me feel giddy. He is almost the total package; looks, brains and ambition. I would probably marry him, but he's not the one.

If I were to put together all the qualities of the above, that would be the man that I would have a healthy relationship with. I have learnt that you cannot fall in love with an idea of somebody. And what looks good on paper might not be what you need IRL. You need to take time to assess and know the Jerkyl and Hyde in a person. If you are able to accept a person as a whole, then that's the person you ought to be with.

And let's kill the notion of being the best somebody has ever had. In every person's life, somebody's gonna be the best. They are the best because they are what you want at that moment. But there is someone else that's going to be better.

The one thing that I have strived for is to be unforgettable. I want to be Michael Jackson moonwalk or Beyoncé Coachella performance in someone's life. It might not last, we might not get back together, but my very being must be imprinted like a tattoo.

Ideologies are good for college dissertations. We need to learn to choose our partners through the scope of what we can handle. Not the idea of how good they would look to others. Not the ideal of how you want them to make you feel.

P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Lady E

Ciao!

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Script My Life: Grown-ish Season 2 Episode 18

I choose ME! We watch and I write; correlating fictional characters with reasonably realistic plot lines to our lives. Script my life! I chose not to review a whole season of a series, neither a film this week. I was struggling to write an authentic story about something that spoke to me through visual consumption. And then I felt emotions erupt as I watched the latest episode of Grown-ish. While I sometimes relate to the protagonist, Zoey Johnson, she annoys me more as I watch this second season. I must forgive her because she's a spoilt 19 year old who is yet to learn the realities of growing up. But she does these really annoying things like being judgemental and being up in people's business. I do love Nomi, Sky (Halle Bailey) and Doug (Diggy Simmons) though. Their characters have so much to offer to the show and audience. In this week's episode titled, 'Nice for What', the young women of the coming-of-age sitcom had to make hard relationship choice...