Skip to main content

Single Ladies: Type Yamudhara

Hello single ladies!


I heart all of you on this #WCW! If nobody is crushing on you, I send out mad love to you! You are gorgeous, formidable and alluring!

As a music lover and critic, I come across so much music. I might hate a lot of things about Zimbabwe, but music isn't one of them. In the past decade there has been a great improvement in music in this country. Gone are the days of tone-deaf producers and off-pitch singers. Yep, people are doing the ting! I'm playing music off my playlist and then I come across the rapper Marcques' music. I won't lie, Marcques has that panty dropping voice - think Barry White, Don Cornelius, or DJ Sbu. While he has a new single out, I was playing his 2017 single off the Veryus project. Titled, 'Type Yamudhara', the hip hop/trap single is all about the type of girl that the protagonist is feeling. I started thinking...what's my type? Whose type am I?

We have all pondered the above questions, maybe once or twice. We often discover our types through patterns. Maybe we date guys from certain ethnicities or occupations because of their height or mannerisms. For whatever reason, it dawns upon you that you have 'a type.' I am a recovering 'bad boy' lover. Lord knows how I previously had a thing for bad boys, often praying that they weren't too bad. I have repented! I love me some good men who give good lovin' and are all about me!

Having gone through the different types of bachelors, you can pick the type of suitor that you desire. From the single dad to swirling in the race pool and even the younger guy, I have weighed the pros and cons of each bachelor. You all know that relationships aren't perfect, but you can make them perfect by working on them every single day. So your choice is your choice!

I've gone through a season of the younger guy. I previously shared about caramel boy, who was cuute but those sparks fizzled quickly. And then I mentioned the one that I call Summer Dream.  There have been a few after that but that's none of our business. Summer Dream will be my protagonist for this discussion.

Prior to Summer Dream, I was against dating younger guys. Firstly, I am a single woman with a child. There's no way in hell that I'm about to take on responsibility for another 'child' who ain't from my loins. I was of the perception that a younger guy wouldn't understand my circumstances as a single parent. I felt that the responsibility would be too much for him. (I kind of still do.) Look, if I sidelined the thought of dating my agemate, what about someone born during the 'No Scrubs' era? But the narrative changed over a period of seven months.

I met Summer Dream, a young undergraduate with big entrepreneurial dreams. He asked me upon our first meeting about my perceptions of relationships. Erm, I believe my non-zen self threw in a sharp-tongued comment. Oh, mios dios! It didn't end there. I used to get a lot of 'I don't do younger guys' comments for reasons counting from one to infinity. Yet a calm summer dream would listen attentively. Y'all, I was so unattractive! I dressed like I didn't like myself; I was loud, sometimes brash, and eish. I just needed a scent of femininity.

One day, while I was focusing on my work, a whiff of a masculine scent passed me by. It was like that cool, gentle breeze on a hot summer's day. I looked up, and in a dreamlike state, I saw stars and a halo. It was Summer Dream, dressed formally in a pink shirt and black trousers. Every inch of his sculpted arms protruded through his shirt. Lawd, he was fiiiine! That's when I first came to realise that I just might be attracted to him. Then I think, I would like to get to know you—you fine specimen of a man! 

After that day, I held conversations with him at every opportunity. I tried to look better too, you know, to be slightly visually appealing. I wanted to dissect his mind and understand what my new 'crush' was about. And boy, did I start ticking off that checklist. He read books, paid his tithes, loved travelling, played chess, dressed well, and loved food. Plus, he's tall and fine. Did I just hit the jackpot? I then realised that the type' that I often wanted was slightly changing.

You see, prior to Summer Dream," I was only interested in mature (older) men. I preferred a divorcee or single dad because of the kid thing. Someone who has children is easier to get along with. If the bachelor had no children of their own, they still needed to be four to ten years older than me. Of course, he had to be educated, employed, well read, love travel, have a vernacular in wine tasting and culture—I mean, can comprehend my poems—attend the opera, and collect paintings. Mr. X was almost the 'perfect' candidate for the above traits, but we all know how that novel ended.

Summer Dream, on the other hand, unintentionally changed my mind. Unbeknownst to him, I could actually see a long-term thing with him. He was somewhat open-minded, mature to an extent, and very focused. Now that he was my type, my question became, "Would he like me? He had a type, like many young guys his age. Pretty face, thick thighs, and a big booty. I did say that he's younger, so I ain't judging. Clearly, that's when reality hit me, and I digressed from any imagination.

Don't get it twisted. I still liked him, but I have been on that Samantha Mumba, "Don't wanna love you if you don't love me," tip for a while now. I do not force reciprocation of attraction or feelings. So for months, Summer Dream and I would just talk when we could. We got to know each other slightly. He would give me a lift when he could to where I was going. We would discuss life ambitions and weekend events. It was delightful. This went on until he left the country, and well, that's the end of that novela.

The lesson that I learned from all this is that we actually don't have types. Often, the so-called 'types' are fantasies or projections of our dysfunction or insecurities. Your type is actually the person that you are attracted to at that time. I now laugh every time someone says, 'You're not my type!" or 'I'm your type!' Are you sure about that?


Your type is actually the person that you are attracted to at that time.

Jamie Foxx sang, "I keep falling for your type," but that doesn't need to be the narrative. You can break the cycle of doppelgangers and reincarnations. The Barack to your Michelle isn't the tall, chocolate man with the sexy abs and bald head. He's probably the average-height man, with the nerdy glasses and social awkwardness, who makes you laugh and spontaneously whisks you away. We often look at what's good on paper and fix our minds on our 'type'. Yet in real life, there's someone who catches you off guard, checks those crucial boxes, is really your 'type,' and most of all, is right for you.

Summer Dream wasn't 'the ONE,'but he did help redirect my options. Yes, I have options up and down the age board and even across other boards. Single ladies, there is no need to limit your options. You don't have to stress yourself out about being the right fit either. Someone out there is thinking to himself,"Uyu, ndiye type yamudhara!"

..."This woman's my type of lady!"

Take a shower, have two eyebrows, strap those heels and swing those hips...

Put yourself out there!

Until the next time...

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...