Skip to main content

Single Ladies: Choc or Vanilla

All that talk about brown sugar yesterday,suddenly gave me a toothache, (Yeah, Dre, I heard you loud and clear!).

Anyway,still on that subject of sweet things, ladies, chocolate, mocha or vanilla?

As we pursue our quest for Mr Put-A-Ring-On-It,I am placing another option for us, getting a man outside our own race. (If you are cocoa you go for latte and vice versa).

Bachelor number 3: The Foreigner.

On set of a production that I am working on, one of the ladies, (mixed race), was telling me how she has never dated a black man. It actually got me thinking, maybe I too, should fish in foreign waters. Why not, I have always been considered a coconut.

My sisters have been telling me (for the longest time), that maybe I should get me a white man, or of the Caucasian persuasion because I think that I have failed with black 'men', and maybe I should *thinking*. I love my chocolate, but I do love the scent of vanilla.

What are the advantages of dating outside one's race? First of all, diversity and adventure. You venture into a world outside your own. (So chances of boredom are quite slim). If they speak anything other than English, then you can learn a new language. Je t'aime; te quiero; me amore. It sounds hot doesn't it?. And imagine the lovely babies you might have if you marry. (Imagining a beautiful, little 'mulatto' 'bambino' running around the villa).

And yes, you can also avoid those sometimes oppressive traditional practises expected of a daughter-in-law, (just saying). No paranoid fear of African science experiments on you. No extended-extended families. No need to dress conservatively in front of in-laws, (even if they insult you, he will defend you). Gushing. Perfect!

But then again, there are some things to also consider about this exploration. Maybe I am the only one, but have you noticed that some caucasians who have a thing for Africans, somewhat stereotype or fetishize people of colour. They have a thing for dreadlocked, ebony sistas who play traditional instruments, or dress 'ethnically.' So what are my chances of getting me milk chocolate, if I have my long Brazilian hair, or Dereon jeans?(I am actually serious about this).

The same cultural diversity that can be so exciting, can also be very challenging. He might like you, but what about his family?I have a few friends who have found interracial marriage to be something else, (One can only tolerate those 'kinky hair' jokes or those 'you people' comments to a certain extent). Consider religion too,especially if you go mocha, or look east. Consider the sacrifice of converting, that is if you are not really, deeply rooted in your own faith. His language might be sexy, but if he does not 'parle' a bit of the universal language, or at least 'comprende',then language 'barrier', will be a real barrier. There is also migration, the fact that the world still does not approve of interracial relationships amongst other things.

I am not being prejudicial, nor am I trying to scare you single ladies, but we have to be fully equipped like warriors. As I always say, relationships are for those willing to fight, not cowards. But yes, let us venture into this interesting zone. (Imagine being wooed by Enrique Iglesias, or Hrithik Roshan, or Dingdong Dante, or even one of those cuties from the famous 'F4', from the Korean hit series,'Boys over Flowers') *sigh, daydreaming*

Now where's that application form, I need to do some serious travelling, (anyone who would like to join me?). So ladies, again, chocolate or vanilla, or maybe some mocha? 
As for me, I think top deck would be just fine.

*Beyonce wave,put a ring on it*Single ladies,until we meet again....

P.S: Always write your own love story.

Ciao!

Lady E

Copyright [c] MPV by Lady E All Rights Reserved 2013

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...