Skip to main content

King of Sorrow

King Of Sorrow.

 

These kids grow like they are on fertiliser,(me thinking that my daughter needs new shoes),whilst preparing her for school,this morning.My mind then drifted to the video to Sade's song,'King Of Sorrow'.(The part when she is washing her kid's shoes).

In the video,Sade potrays a struggling single mother who tries to balance everything,'I want to cook you soup that warms your soul'.(And she does it in style.A 'hot' mum running in heels,with her kids).

King of sorrow.A beautiful,but sad song,one of my favourites.I relate to the song and the video,all too well.

And the song,just made me think of single mothers.How many of you single mummies carry the burdens of others before your own?How many try their best to give their children a decent life?Who,like Sade in the video,(she sings in a club),tries to spare time to pursue their own dreams?

'I'm crying everyone's tears/I have already paid for my future sins...'.If only the world gave single mothers a break.A break in terms of job opportunities,extra income,a shot at their dreams.A break from the rumours and judgement,and maybe,a chance at real love.

A single mother also has dreams she wants to pursue,she also wants to further her education,she also wants to let her hair down and go out dancing,and find that 'one love'.She just wants to live.

It is hard enough trying to play the roles of mother and father,without society constantly pointing fingers and whispering negativity.And I do not like people,especially men,who use a single mother's vulnerability,(financial struggles and loneliness),for their own selfish 'desires'.(Shame on you,if you are one of those).

She has to do,what she has got to do,to make ends meet.(Sometimes,not always the most dignified way.Think of City High's,'What would you do?'.Do not judge).Working more than one job,selling this and that,and sometimes that little she earns,has a bunch of people (other than her kids),on the budget.

I wonder,has anybody taken time to think of the needs of these women.I remember last year when my brother passed away,a friend of mine asked,'Who's going to be strong for you?'.Good question.You see,I never really mourned my late brother,(even up to now),because I am a mother before I am a child and a sister,(so society says),and that means that I have to be strong,hold myself together.

If only people knew that we are heavy laden.Sometimes we do not want to be strong,we too,need someone to talk to about 'our' own problems instead of trying to solve others'.We too,want to breakdown and cry,it makes us human.(Not 'Superwoman').It would be nice if someone gave a single mum a dollar or two,instead of demanding from her payslip.If someone could offer to babysit her children,for a few hours so that she could go for a job interview,maybe have lunch with friends or even go on a date.

Like Sade,(the singing),I have dreams I want to pursue,and just because I am a mother does not mean that I should not.I am an artist.I have always wanted to be Lauryn Hill,(singer-songwriter,poet,rapper,actress),(yes,I am that talented).Should I wait until my kid is in college to pursue that,as I 'work hard',and sacrifice to give her a good life?(Life is too short).(Your kids will probably thank you,when you achieve success like Macy Gray,a single mum before fame).

I would love to give every single 'single mum' a hug,a shoulder to lean on and cry on.(If I could afford it),I would get child minders for their children,take the ladies out for a pamper day,and at the end of it all,just let them live their dreams,even for just one day.(Because they deserve it).

'The DJ's playing the same song
I have so much to do
I have to carry on
I wonder if this grief will ever let me go
I feel like I am the king of sorrow...'-Sade

She is just doing her best,but it seems that she is,the 'king of sorrow'.

P.S: Always write your own love story.

Ciao!

Lady E


Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

Are You Miss Bare Minimum?

You are worth the ICE! Intention. Commitment. Effort. Y'all, this is my proof of life. It's been a minute. It's been a tumultuous season, and I guess that I'm not the only one. I am glad though, that I am here to pour out and into you. You've always understood me. And then P!nk's 'Mizunderstood' becomes a backtrack to this conversation. But that's a conversation for another day. A nous allez! Bonjour, bonjour mes amies! Comment allez-vous? I'm taking it one day at a time. Picture this: you’re on a date, and instead of engaging in conversation, your date is glued to his phone, replying to texts that are definitely not from you. Or maybe he’s the ‘textationship’ king, flooding your screen with emojis but never making time for an actual face-to-face meeting. Now this is a good one, he's the convenience pro who gets to see you and spend time with you within his vicinity, and not outside his capacity. Now what do we call that *taps head thinking*...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact...