Skip to main content

The Case of Round Two

Kea lumela hore ke rata lintho!

A black woman regretting being in bed with a black man



And most of the time it's bad for my process of becoming. So I'm trying to be subtle, but...
 
I met a ghost from my past. Not an unpleasant one at all. just someone I didn't necessarily expect. Seeing and being around him reminded me of the vulnerability that I'm afraid of experiencing. I met Michael again.


Yep. And I realised that two years later I sort of like him....a lot. Yet, he remains complicated. But on the other hand, he's still a good kisser. (And Usher's "Good Kisser" drums start playing in the background). Bonjour mes amies! Comment allez vous? Bring your glasses; let's gather around and chat. I'm having a nice, not wine-related drink that I'm going to regret in the morning because of a hangover. I don't know why I'm this person, though. 

Michael, Michael, Michael. U tsoa kae? O romilwe ke mang? Coming to mess up my chakras again! I know that being comfortable in his calm presence is just for two minutes because uzobe eyisipoko, and next time you will see him on a wedding Instagram media page with the love story to his wedding. To another woman! Why did I entertain him, you ask? I believe that I've got my defences up, Alcatraz fences, and the emotional condom wrapped tightly, so I'm Teflon. So I think!

When he came through at an event, he looked familiar, but I had amnesia. He then showed familiarity towards me, to which I asked, "Where do I know you from?" He gave hints as if we were playing 30-seconds, and I remembered. He then showed me that he still has my number.  Me thinks, manjeIn the words of Shania Twain, "that don't impress me much." Having my number and not using it doesn't make any sense, or mean anything to me. Like was he expecting me to give him a Merit badge or Purple Heart for keeping my full name and phone number? I on the other hand, honestly spring-cleaned his number out of my contacts when I wrote about him the first time. And got amnesia! Kuyakhombisa ukuthi bengingenandaba naye after that. Oh so I thought.

So petite moi, asked him why he ghosted me? He stated that he didn't ghost me. Erm. And there was back and forth. I won't lie; I kept looking at Michael pensive and thinking, "Hmm, he's actually much handsome than I remember." Not the frog that I remember kissing, yet he wasn't my prince, although he's charming. In an attempt to redeem himself, I told him that he was my ride home. And I entertained him. And he was attentive in the way that I like. You would think that I have evolved. Pray for me. (Makes a crucifix sign.)

Shem! I let my guard down. Let him deafen me with sweet nothings from his honey laced tongue. And those words dripped sweetly. The forehead kiss was the icing on the cake because it seemed warm and sincere. Again, why am I this person? He did drop me off at home, and I saved his phone number. Pourquoi? (Shaking my head) I texted him. Someone please, just pull me back. Hobaneng ke sa ithute?

And we are back here... AGAIN!

Unlike the last time, I don't believe that I have caught feelings. What we need to unlearn is the notion that "this time might be different." A lot can happen over a period of time. We believe that people change, or situations are different. Every once in a while, we meet that person who makes you wonder, "What if?" Like that one person you have this undescribable connection with. Michael wasn't particularly special to me the first time that he and I met. Remember, he wasn't physically or interactively 'my type'. But I guess that I liked the comfort of feeling somewhat safe. Like his arms feel like 'home', I kid you not! (Becomes coy and hides face) He and I exchanged intelligent conversations. And he's attentive. That made him a more interesting person. He has manners and is a 'gentleman' per se. So I don't want to vilify him. Instead, I'm trying to be accountable about allowing the likes of him to steer me off my path. "No" is a fantastic word in the English language. Yet I use it less than when it's necessary.

This time around I'm listening to my board of directors. Libandla yami lithi, hlukhana lo Michael. Lady E, we've been here before friend. Don't let the nerdy and gentleman persona fool you. F**ckboys come in different packages. Is Michael a f**ckboy? Unfortunately, he's got more red than the Confederate flag, yet it's not as obvious. He's a cute nerd who is unassuming, and that's the reason why I caught unnecessary feelings the first time. Again, I'm not here to vilify him. This is introspection before jumping into a lake of poor choices. Grown women don't make mistakes, we make choices," Amanda Seales. Discern and let's choose wisely.

Grown women don't make mistakes, we make choices. 

- Amanda Seales.


So ladies, the lesson here is that while we like the Michaels of the world, ask yourself: What's the offer? Are there intentions with you, and what sort? Is this a cruise ship, friendship, relationship, or situationship? Botsa seo o se batlang ho nna? If you intend to be with a king, stop entertaining court jesters. Over here, we love Kings. Led by them. Serve them. Revere them with loyalty. But we need discernment. 

If you intend to be with a king, stop entertaining court jesters.

 
So in the case of round two, I stand accused and guilty of not learning from the first experience. A frog is a frog no matter how many times you kiss it. "When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time." Maya Angelou 

When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time. 
- Maya Angelou

Boloka nama le moya wa hao...

...cheers to learning, unlearning and BECOMING!

Remember ladies, swing those hips, strut those legs, eyebrows to perfection, face beat by the gods, and be confident.

A prochaine fois!


P.S.: Always write your own love story!


Ciao!


Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it… I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn? "In my own rule book,   CONSISTENCY is very important." In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney

Script My Life: The Greatest Roles

Cheers to a new month, new season and more scripts... I really need new flicks to watch! I will admit that I haven't caught up with the late 2018 and early 2019 movies. But I know that after this blog post, y'all will hook me up. XOXO in advance! We are in the month of August! The second month in the second half of the year! A happy birthday to all the Leos and Virgos! Some of the greats were born this month including my beautiful daughter, Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston. August babies are strong willed and have leadership bred in them. They are just a forceful lot! In the Shona language, August is ' Nyamavhuvhu ' which loosely translated means 'windy'. August babies aren't gentle breezes, they are the tornados and hurricanes; but we love them still! The month itself on this side of the hemisphere is windy! But the wind comes to somewhat renew and pave way for the brief spring season (in Africa, of course!) Wrapping up July, and starting o