Skip to main content

I Got Stood Up...But I'm Okay!

I laugh because none of this is a reflection of who I am!




Bonjour, bonjour! Comment ça va? Jes suis trés bien! It's silly season and we will be merry all the way.

I'm not sure if this is for the 'Dirty Laundry Diaries', or 'Single Ladies Series'; what I do know, I need 30 bucks to feed my child. I'm actually not joking about the 30 bucks. I'm insomniac. Most nights are restless. My current thoughts are more frightening compared to watching horror movies, or listening to true crime podcasts.

Y'all gather around, bring your favourite 'happy juice', because it's story time.

I must begin and say, I do like things. I know that I have old money tendencies and tastes, within reason. What I never acknowledged is that there's a side of me that's very exploration or curious. I'm not a fan of mob psychology but there are times when I just go with the flow. And yes, that flow leads me to Never, Neverland.

So, one of these interesting after hours days, I found myself quenching my thirst to shared bottles of wine. That's when I met, let's calk him Huey.

Huey looked for my phone number that very day, but texted on the next. Huey then makes plans for drinks for the weekend. Oh my, is this a date? In between Wednesday and the weekend, he and I were texting mostly.

It's Saturday. I'm not going to bore you with the sordid details of my day and preparations. Let's fast forward to the meet up. So, he tells me to get ready at around 5. I decently dolled myself up, wore a cute dress, denim jacket and heels. Chose a meeting point from where he could pick me up. I was early and communicated that I was ready. And then I waited for about an hour without any feedback. It got dark, and then...

With my tail in between my legs, I walked back home ... barefoot. Look, I wasn't going to make strides in heels. My current dwelling is 20 minutes far away from civilisation and there's a whole scary hlahleni. (God I really need to move out ... pronto).

I went back home, and changed into my pyjamas. Still no communication - phone call or text. I shook my head and laughed at myself. I just got stood up. Wow!

Strangely, I didn't blame myself. There's nothing wrong with me. I took the step to put myself out there. To position myself as the radiant sunflower that I am. And at the time of this blog, Huey hasn't communicated to apologize or explain himself. Again, not my fault.

By the way. You remember Lion King? Well, he just had a baby ... with someone else. Imagine that! All that grief he gave me about being his type of wife material. I gag.

Swerve.

Again, this isn't a reflection of me.

We take accountability when we should, but if the sons of Adam are acting a fool, don't entertain the clowns.

I just need a long holiday... c'est tout!

P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

MTV VMA Review: Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly!

Yaaaas queen! Joy overwhelmed me by just watching Missy Elliott's MTV VMA performance. It's been 16 years since Missy last performed at the VMAs. That year, Missy was joined by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland, as they proved to us what genius looks like. Missy opened her performance with her latest single, "Throw It Back" before throwing fans back to her hits from yesteryear. She performed a medley that included 'The Rain', 'Get Ur Freak On', 'One Minute Man', 'Pass that Dutch' and 'Lose Control'. With each performance the 4-time Grammy winner invoked looks from each music video. She also reunited with dancer, actress and singer, Alyson Stoner, who remains a superb dancer. For those who aren't in the know, Alyson started dancing for Missy when she was a little girl. She became a staple in most of Missy's music videos. In 2015, Alyson paid tribute to the legend with a viral video of Missy's greatest hits. Missy...

Are You Miss Bare Minimum?

You are worth the ICE! Intention. Commitment. Effort. Y'all, this is my proof of life. It's been a minute. It's been a tumultuous season, and I guess that I'm not the only one. I am glad though, that I am here to pour out and into you. You've always understood me. And then P!nk's 'Mizunderstood' becomes a backtrack to this conversation. But that's a conversation for another day. A nous allez! Bonjour, bonjour mes amies! Comment allez-vous? I'm taking it one day at a time. Picture this: you’re on a date, and instead of engaging in conversation, your date is glued to his phone, replying to texts that are definitely not from you. Or maybe he’s the ‘textationship’ king, flooding your screen with emojis but never making time for an actual face-to-face meeting. Now this is a good one, he's the convenience pro who gets to see you and spend time with you within his vicinity, and not outside his capacity. Now what do we call that *taps head thinking*...

The Promise: When I Say I Do!

When I say, "I do", it is a commitment for a lifetime! Life's short. Less than a yardstick short. Biblically, mankind was granted 120 years on this earth. On average today, mankind has approximately 70 years to live, that is 25,567.5 days. You must be wondering where I am going with this. Does, "I take thee,so and so,to be my lawful, wedded, something,...." sound familiar? Of course, these words are part of the traditional wedding vows. Gosh! Gushing Don't we all just love weddings, where there is the blushing groom,who cant wait to get out of his tuxedo (pretty much because it's uncomfy), and the starry-eyed bride,who wishes the moment would last forever. Forever! A favourite word of many.Imagine the number of songs titled or that include the word 'forever'. I have not heard in a while, one of my favourite songs, 'Forevermore' by Puff Johnson. Oh, I also love hearing that promise of 'forever' by the Okoye twins, 'If you were ...