Skip to main content

5 Pet Peeves to Leave And Win Her

Effort equals reward, and effort is the real charm.




It's the last 'Man Crush Monday' of the year, and it would be a deservice to all my MCMs not to take this journey together. Gosh, this has been an interesting year in my dating life. I'm bringing in my single ladies to share their own war stories parce que, we're that community. Tjo! Ngahleka ukhuthi amaf*ckboys bashada this year.(In my head, Somizi voice) Woo, shem!

We live in an era where there's the complaint that femaledom is entitled. In the realm of dating, there's a complaint of unreasonable standards, Ciara's prayer, and the erasure of masculinity. We hear you. The discussion needs to be brought to the table with accountable individuals. 

But today, we are addressing some real turn offs. Abeg, abeg, why is there effortless wooing? I mean, we are post-pandemic, yet some fellas are still on that we're confined to the four walls of our habitations. Get with the program, Queen Bey sang, "We're going to be outside." Let's go outside. 
 
Now, I've found an unlikely wingman who is persuading me to realise that I shouldn't be alone. I kid you not; Mr. X's blogs are rather fire. I don't always agree with him, but if I don't want to be a cat lady in my lifetime, I'm listening to him. One thing, he always highlights that some of us are picky. Breathe.
 
Okay, but before we exit the year, I bring forth to the congregation the "interests" who have been pursuing us. They are "nice," somewhat decent guys, but they keep missing the mark. It's not necessarily that they have deal-breaker behaviours, but they aren't impressive traits either. As authors of our love stories (single ladies), we wouldn't proudly add these behaviours as the 'meet cute' or 'you know when you know' to our narrative.
 
So, here we are, fellas; we are leaving these 5 pet peeves so that you can score. Let's go: 

1. The Speedy Gonzalez

So the other day, this dude was like come see me at my workplace. I asked, pour quoi? And he was like because I miss you. This was followed by come to my crib and let's chill. Ehm! Hold up! Where is, "Let's have lunch at this really dope sadza place," or, "You mentioned that you love Chinese; clear your lunch break today. "It's my treat." No. Nada in Portuguese. I've had my fill of Sonic the Hedgehog to last me three lifetimes. We're good. My point is, why are you in a rush to jump into the relationship? That's if that's your intention. Yes, we are aware, f*ckboy or nice boy, y'all got segs on your mind. We also want to copulate; however, we need to "feel" you because we are "feeling" creatures. So help us feel you! And please don't tell us you love us after a week or promise marriage. My anxious-avoidant self will Usain Bolt for the hills. Lunch. Dinner. Ice cream. Consistent communication, preferably calls and face-to-face interactions. A bouquet of flowers, a bottle of wine, a road trip to Mazowe listening to old school music, or let's go play paintball. You're more than your male appendage. I'll speak on behalf of the grown folk; we ladies like it like H-town sang it, "Like it slow." 


2. Non-consensual touchy,feely

Cringe, cringe, super cringe. Some of y'all are hashtag 'me too' cases waiting to happen. Getting me a drink doesn't mean putting your hand on my thigh. Don't slap my derriere because it's bouncy or perky, or even small and cute like Karrueche's. While our mothers and aunts keep on telling us not to go over to your dwellings, I'm not jumping your bones just because I'm assessing where to put the baby's crib. (Note when the relationship has been consummated and procreation happens.) But for now, no one's thinking baby shower. Yes, I'm at your home but consent is important. No means no. It's not playing hard to get or sending mixed signals.  (*Whispering* Dunno what type of females y'all be with). But when I consent for Edward Scissorhands, you'll know.
 
3. Send me your pic

"Send me your picture" is to women as "send me money" is to males. Cringe! There's nothing that says you aren't worth the effort than "send me your picture." "Send me a picture” is where a woman loses 79% interest in a man. Photos are very personal and intimate and aren't for free distribution. Even Getty Images understands that. Make an effort to spend time with me and create mental images. Associate my face with the sunset behind me, my scent, and even frown lines. See me without filters and makeup. I love Arianna Grande's "pov." The lyrics get me in the 'feels.' But the lyrics remind us of how women want to be seen. Flaws and all. "For all of my pretty, and my ugly too, I want to see me from your point of view," Arianna Grande. Let's spend time together and take selfies. Take the picture that you want from the angle that you love. 

"Send me a picture” is where a woman loses 79% interest in a man. 

4. I love an independent woman

Also known as I won't pay the bills. Middle finger! *Smile.* Again, our modern society has really blurred the lines when it comes to financial responsibilities. I spent my formative years in West Africa. The men are so different compared to those in this part of the continent. Co-dependence makes the relationship work. Y'all wonder why women are so aggressive apart from hormones. We keep doing sh*t on our own. Financially! Personally, being 'miss independent' isn't sexy. It's a struggle. One that doesn't necessarily have traditionally feminine qualities at all. And y'all still want to be cooked for, given blow jobs, and conjugal rights. Something has to give. A resting b*tch face! If she can't rely on you financially, apart from the preaching and protection, what's your purpose? Honestly. (Again, read Mr. X's blogs about the role of a man - a real man).

As a woman with a male board of directors - if you fail the 'provision' aspect, it's over. My father would roll in his grave if I wasted my time with a non-provider. And no, she ain't no gold digger if you are a provision n***a.

And no, she ain't no gold digger if you are a provision n***a.

5. No effort 

Janet Jackson's "What have you done for me lately?" is playing in the background. Yes. What have you done for me lately? You stand me up. You are inconsistent in words and actions. And you want to do what? I shouldn't be preaching because I've made a lot of poor choices, avec Michael being the poster child of the aforementioned. But while I pick up my self-respect from the floor, libandla lithi "No." Relationships that work require work. Ne-Yo sang, "We've got to make it work." It's work. And most of you want the easy way. You presume that texting me every two or three days will redeem you from being considered a f*ckboy. Amanda Seales' voice: "Nah!" What you need to do is be physically available—see my face, smell my scent, and hear my voice. Make appointments that you will show up for. Make voice calls. Show that you are a provider, protector, and preacher, particularly after she's dropped the handkerchief. The same amount of effort y'all require of us to be pretty and pleasant is the same effort y'all need to keep us secure.

To be honest, security has been a woman's M.O. since the beginning of time. From the Bible to 19th-century literature to 90s R&B, we want emotional, physical, financial, and spiritual security.

So, make effort. Stop behaving juvenile. Make your intentions clear and known. If we choose you, even as a poor choice, it's up to us. However, some of you nice guys keep the players winning because you fail to get with the program. Nice guys finish last, so update and upgrade, and who knows, you could definitely win.
 
The ball is in your court.
 
Because I love Amanda Sealed, here's her version of the pet peeves from her HBO comedy special, "I Be Knowin'."




Fellas, let's make things easier for all of us. Let's put more effort. Woo her. Court her. And you might get her.

Effort equals to reward, and effort is the real charm.

Go out there and win, cause she's still singing to Samantha Mumba's, "I'm right here."

I'm right here.

P.S. : Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it… I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn? "In my own rule book,   CONSISTENCY is very important." In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney

Winter ABC Day 6: Thank You Carrie Bradshaw

Who knew that a TV show would be the reason that I intentionally speak my mind? You can learn nothing from television they say. TV makes you dumb! Oh well, maybe so, however one television show was the match for this wildfire. My older sister pulled her hair out when she found out that my young sister and I were watching Sex and the City. Amongst her collection of video cassettes, she had a box set of the guilty pleasure, Sex and the City. The age guide was no under 21; I was 17 and my younger sibling was way too young. You are telling yourself that these adolescents were mischievous, maybe. I believe we were curious and adventurous. I was obsessed with pop culture with the hopes of one day being Lala Vasquez on TRL or hosting E! News. From my collection of People magazine I had read so much about the cast of Sex and the City. There were mentions of the cast members of the hit show in particular Sarah Jessica Parker. SJP as she's affectionately known, played the lead role of