Skip to main content

The Classy Girl's Guide to Shooting Her Shot

Be an active participant in getting the relationship that you need and deserve!


Old school photo of chivalry


Bonjour, mes amies! Comment allez-vous? Gather around queens, this is a conversation for us. Can someone please bring me a glass of red wine? I really need this drink. In actual fact, bring the whole bottle. With a show of hands, who's been having challenges in the dating space? I mean just to get a date with a decent human being.

I stand accused of crawling back into my crustacean shell and not putting myself out there. I dread the outside. Actually, ever since the robbery incident, I get anxiety just leaving the house. I'm anxious leaving my house, and anxious being in a place where I'm not sure how I'm going home. But I know that I'm not going to make any progress if I'm stuck at home. So please nudge me to go outside.

Following constant reflection, I realised that I made a lot of poor choices in relationship avenue. As I evolve into an accountable adult, I have realised that I really entertained a bunch of losers. And yes, it was a reflection that I myself was a loser, avec la majuscule 'L'. Thanks to therapy and self-awareness, it's been a reflection of my anxious-avoidant attachment style. And we are working on it. In my previous post, I shared my failure to rise to the occasion of flirtation. I even mentioned that I couldn't shoot my shot with Genesis for some reason or another.

Well, contrary to popular belief, it's not unladylike to show interest in a (potential) love interest. It all boils down to tact. Dear single ladies, I will share with you something that I really should have paid attention to during literature class. I came across dating and relationship coach Matthew Hussey's video about getting the guy that you like. It made sense.




So, the mistake that we have been making is that we didn't master the art of tact. When we are out in the world, the assumption is that our options are really narrow (and our check lists don't help either). So how do we apply what Matthew Hussey shared in the above video in a modern-day context? Let us travel through time and learn about the art of the past.

During the 1800s, there was an expectation of intentional flirtation. Similar to the expectations of ladylike behaviour in the modern world, during the 1700s and 1800s, women could also not flirt openly or explicitly. Society disapproved of any overt sexual advances. Therefore, women had to use non-verbal communication to show their interest in a particular suitor. This was often done through body language, such as batting eyelashes, giving alluring smiles, or tossing their hair. But the point of discussion is the handkerchief.

Every lady had one, so flirting women used this ubiquitous accessory to show interest in a man. By the end of the 1800s, it was an accepted custom for any woman to signal her intentions with a handkerchief. And like a hand sign, the handkerchief had a code. For example, if a lady threw her handkerchief over her shoulder, it signaled, "Follow me." Folding the delicate piece of clothing meant, I wish to speak with you. As I share this information with you, I feel the need to practice these codes.

Smart. Yes. Subtle. Very. But what if the poor lad couldn't decode these signals? Shem, his loss. And then we have the dropping of the handkerchief. When a lady saw an eligible bachelor passing by, she would drop her handkerchief in front of him. In the era of lively chivalry, the gentleman of impeccable manners would stop, bend down, and pick up the handkerchief. He would then hand back the handkerchief to the lady with an “Excuse me, miss, you seem to have dropped your handkerchief”. The ice was broken and the two would likely court and get married. But this was achieved when the woman discreetly made the first indirect move.

Back to the 21st century, quel est notre problème mes amies? Why have we been trying to reinvent the wheel, when the way was paved for us? I will admit that in my youth, I did drop the proverbial handkerchief, but it was rather aggressive. I mean, I was a real go-getter, and I would get 'him'. But then I lost my mojo along the way. And I understand the reservations that we have with shooting our shot. How do we drop the 'handkerchief' in a subtle way that doesn't come off as desperate or psycho? That's a hard one. However, I still believe that we do have subtle signals up our sleeves.

At an event that I attended a while ago, I spotted a rather good-looking lad. There was the distant eye contact, across the room, and I coyly smiled. Later on, he wanted to take a photo and I offered to do so. There was an exchange of smiles, we started chatting, and numbers were exchanged. Unfortunately, no date. However, what Matthew said in the video makes total sense. While we are the ones being chased, we need the female eagle's shrewdness. Why do we need to wait when we can initiate?

Whilst I'm on initiating, can we stop limiting our range. There is a plethora of eligible bachelors whom we often overlook and underestimate. Remember that I did say that he doesn't have to be tall, dark and handsome. Think nerdy, funny, and caters to your love languages. I've met some pretty awesome, good guys who didn't meet my 'type' (former) but really caught my attention. In short open your eyes and embrace experiences outside your comfort zone. And all this history lesson on coquetry makes me want to read 'Pride and Prejudice' again.

Let's go out there and be out there. Choose, drop that hanky, and who knows ...

... break the ice and add some spice to your love life!

A prochaine fois... remember, hair, nails, heels, and confidence!

P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Lady E

Ciao!

Comments

  1. Interesting to read, why haven't you monetized it as yet, check out mine www.totemnetwork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it… I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn? "In my own rule book,   CONSISTENCY is very important." In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney

Script My Life: The Greatest Roles

Cheers to a new month, new season and more scripts... I really need new flicks to watch! I will admit that I haven't caught up with the late 2018 and early 2019 movies. But I know that after this blog post, y'all will hook me up. XOXO in advance! We are in the month of August! The second month in the second half of the year! A happy birthday to all the Leos and Virgos! Some of the greats were born this month including my beautiful daughter, Michael Jackson and Whitney Houston. August babies are strong willed and have leadership bred in them. They are just a forceful lot! In the Shona language, August is ' Nyamavhuvhu ' which loosely translated means 'windy'. August babies aren't gentle breezes, they are the tornados and hurricanes; but we love them still! The month itself on this side of the hemisphere is windy! But the wind comes to somewhat renew and pave way for the brief spring season (in Africa, of course!) Wrapping up July, and starting o