Skip to main content

For Cock's Sake...Stop Blocking Me!

To be honest, I need to take charge of my own energy!


Two black men and a black woman sitting in between them

I'm at the polar opposite end of the energy spectrum right now. Part of me is like an Energizer bunny full of life, and the other part of me just wants to be in bed all day. During Sunday brunch, I was catching up with my friends at church. Some shared stories about a wedding that they attended the day before. We ended up talking about our personal experiences with romantic relationships as a result of the conversation.

From gaslighting partners to being unequally yoked to the one that got away, everyone had a riveting story. All I can say is that the streets aren't safe for singles. I keep telling my married friends and siblings to keep their picket-fence relationships. The grass ain't green out here. It's trampled savanna grass!

The grass ain't green out here ... it's trampled savanna grass!

Anyway, as we shared our singledom war stories, I was reminded of how one individual whom I revere literally cockblocked me. Even my sister was shocked when I mentioned the story. Her shock came from the fact that this man, whom we revere, isn't the type to meddle or be messy. Remember when I mentioned my actor crush? What I never mentioned was that I actually physically met him. One of his closest friends happens to be someone I know through mutual friends. And they happened to be in my workplace on a particular day. They were in a car, and they passed by myself and KA (the man whom I revere). On their way out, they stopped and greeted us. KA then hinted that it was my crush. I lost my marbles for a few seconds and then passed a comment that if he's single, he's "hubby." Now, KA then responded that I'm not my crush's type of woman. Que? My bubble burst, and somehow that was a cockblock.

And then I thought about the 2018 comedy starring Leslie Mann and John Cena, "Cockblockers." Those parents had a wilder night than their teenage daughters (laughs). And that's none of our business! But bless his soul, I don't think KA's statement was malicious. But he did put my crush on a rather high pedestal. I mean, come on, he's just a mere mortal who happens to have an impressive iMDB profile. Imagine, that was my handkerchief moment! But thinking of it, was I really cockblocked? Like, what state was I in then? Was it for whatever reason or to be a wife? (I'm finking)

But this memory led me to today's discussion. I'm thoroughly guilty of being a cockblocker myself. And I decided to come and assist all of us who are a buzzkill to other people's mingling.Everyone's been there: You're out on a date with someone you're really into, and your friends or family show up and totally cockblock you. Or maybe you've had your eye on someone, and the opportunity to say, "Can we talk?" occurs. However, a card-carrying member of your inner circle catches "Cupid's shots." It can be really frustrating, especially if you don't know how to deal with it.

According to basically every dictionary, "cockblockers" are people who prevent others from hooking up or getting laid. They can be friends, family members, or even complete strangers. While some people may do this out of pure maliciousness, others may do it unintentionally.

One of the most common ways that cockblockers operate is by being too clingy. For example, let's say that you're out at a bar with your friends. You spot someone you're attracted to, and you start chatting them up. Things are going well, and you're about to ask for their number when your friend interrupts and starts talking to them too. Suddenly, the person you were talking to loses interest and starts talking to someone else. Your friend has just cockblocked you.

They can also strike when you least expect it. Let's say you're finally on a date with the person you've been crushing on for months. Things are going great, and you're about to lean in for a kiss when their phone rings. It's their best friend, and they need to talk. Your date steps away to take the call, and when they come back, they're not in the mood to kiss anymore. You've just been cockblocked by technology.

It can be a friend or family member who sets you up on a blind date with someone. You and this person have a strong scientific connection—chemistry, physics, and you both want to learn more about biology.And then the minute you step out for a tinkle or to powder your nose, they say something that puts off your potential mate. Now that's a conundrum that I know too well.

Cockblockers come in all shapes and sizes. Sometimes they're people you know, and other times they're complete strangers. But one thing is for sure: They can ruin your chances of hooking up. So next time you're out trying to score, watch out for the cockblockers.

But keep in mind that communication is the difference between being cockblocked by friends and family.With friends, you can usually have an open conversation about it. With family, things can be a bit more complicated. If possible, try to talk to your friends and family about why they're doing it. And who knows? They may even come around in the end. In fact, I think it's important to do so.

First of all, you need to stay calm. Getting mad or frustrated isn't going to help anything. And remember, it's not always intentional—your friends and family might not even realise they're doing it.

How do you get someone to stop cockblocking you? I would like to have a conversation with them. Let them know that you're not happy with their behaviour and explain how it's impacting you. Most likely, they'll understand where you're coming from and change their ways. If not, you might have to put some boundaries in place and tell them that they can't interfere with your dating life anymore.

If talking or setting boundaries doesn't work, sometimes the best way to deal with cockblockers is to just ignore them. Let them know that their opinions don't matter to you and go about your business.

The worst of these, however, is you. I am most guilty of this act. Hence, I stated that I needed to take charge of my own energy. You have the ability to be a cockblocker. You sabotage any potential romantic relationship or simply a great shag parce que you overthink things. Like, why are we these people? 

Back to my conversation with KA, I realised that he didn't cockblock me. I was presented with another opportunity with the same crush. But I didn't rise to the occasion parce que overthinking. One thing that I have learned is to mind my own business. If I am someone’s wingwoman, I just ask them to stay safe. Otherwise, they are adults and must learn to make their own mistakes.

Go out there! Sow your wild seeds as if you really need to shoot your shot or drop that handkerchief to make things hot! 

Go out there! Sow your wild seeds as if you really need to shoot your shot or drop that handkerchief to make things hot!

Let nobody come between you and that thing à la Lauryn Hill.


P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E




Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Auld Lang Syne ... Maybe Not All the Time

Sometimes the end is a new beginning!  It's a new year! To be more precise, the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-two. According to the Hebrew calendar the year is 5782.  The crossover into 2022 was particularly dull due to the curfew. When we say that the pandemic is a buzzkill, the sentiment is real. As a staunch believer in the saying, "How you leave is how you enter," I often enjoy spending my time in church. The service prior to the countdown often invigorates my faith. Praying and seeding on the first day of the 365 or 366 is comforting. Unfortunately, the authorities ensured that the gathering of the saints wouldn't happen on their watch. We had to sit and watch the livestream from home. As the new year came, I started to think of the song synonymous with the new year. Auld Lang Syne. Based on the 18th century Scottish song, the words read: Should Old Acquaintance be forgot, and never thought upon; The flames of Love extinguished, and fully past a...