Skip to main content

Bottom of the Barrel

I know that I have dug at the bottom of the barrel....

 

Open barrel

 


...because my very own coochie ain't got respect. I laugh amiably at the Instagram page The Kouncil. I relate that for most of the time I am the combination of the lady parts and heart... dumb! Now don't get it twisted, my IQ is pretty high it's frightening.  I'm word smart....that's my actual intelligence type. Now you go Google the nine intelligence types. These are your cognizance resonance that will make you look at your parents with the WTF did y'all put me through.

Anyway, my HBCU graduate father was highly aware of intelligence. He saw me as the creative intellectual. He expected me to be Paula Abdul or Prince, or Stevie Wonder compared to the African intellectual stereotype of being a doctor. In my creativity I have painted, performed, written, and published most of my creative work. I pride myself as a wordsmith, in addition to having an eye for aesthetic visuals and an ear for music. While I am a songwriter, in another life I would have been that full on blues, or neo-soul artist. 

Intelligence doesn't always equate to high quality choices. I have been in rooms with the highly qualified, eloquent individuals who can hold conversations. Their major fault is in the relationship department. It baffles me beyond measure why our school curriculum don't include life coaching. Like proper education about how to handle heartbreak, spotting f*ckboys, how not to be a f*ckboy, and understanding attachment styles. Yes, we do get rather conservative sex education but that's it! Yes, intelligent people make dumb relationship decisions.
 
With a show off hands, who has had 'groupie' sex? 

Ehm, no judgement here! In a conversation with self, I realised that most of us have been there. But was it worth it? Groupie sex, according to my own definition, is having sexual intercourse with someone famous, or who belongs in certain 'affluent' circles. I stand accused of the above. Not my proudest moment. I have come to a place where I believe, that it takes low self esteem to have groupie sex. Now before you come for me, how many of us can actually say that we have benefited from sexual intercourse with someone famous. Being a baby mama to an athlete, entertainer or socialite isn't an achievement.

I do understand that famous liaisons provide access to fame, and the who's-who. Association creates a false sense of importance. The conversation with self often is, ‘It’s just sex… with a star’ but the aftermath states a different aftermath. With social media in the mix, we have seen lives play out like soap operas. Now this is entertainment for most of us, often bored by our own lives, but what in the hell. Why are we scraping at the bottom of the barrel?

In interesting conversations with several females, I wonder why we put ourselves through the whole I 'f**ked' someone famous. One young lady who had a few, started crying over some socialite she claimed to be in a relationship with. She started trashing all the other females that he runs around and lays with. She said that she was the real one, and is 'in-love' with him. Let me not even get started with the ones who have hanky-panky with club DJs, or any other type of entertainer. The other lady was like, I just wanted to have sex with an entertainer so that I could brag that I have been with someone famous. I hold my head and roll my eyes. 
 
I don't want to sit on a high horse and judge. I have been there. I have had my fair share of entertainers, and socialites. I was young, and very stupid. I was never with any of these individuals who I hope that no one will ever find out about for the clout. But from the outside, I was a groupie because I scraped at the bottom of the barrel. Now I'm not saying that all entertainers and athletes philander, but they are predisposed to more options than the average bloke. There are too many clout chasers in these streets. Too many of us seeking that importance through fame. Too many of us assuming that we will achieve 'the best life' through association. Again, why are we scraping at the bottom of the barrel?
 
I will be honest, I was once hurt by one of my 'groupie sex' encounters. He went on to marry someone else and have a child with them. I was livid and hurt because in my head, I'm wifey. He pursued me when I didn't care about who he was. Looking back that was a highly 'poor' choice. But here's why we get hurt. In the excitement of spontaneity, deep inside we also assume that we could be 'the ONE'. We will be that unique one, the Kate Middleton to a Prince William - an ordinary girl snagging that famous guy...especially if he's a 'bad boy'. We often act like we don't care, and then find ourselves wildin' out. This mostly done on the internet. TMZ, The  Shade Room, to name but a few, have shown me that 'groupie sex' is destructive. Those rappers and athletes and their baby mama drama. Receipts from the DMs, Snapchat, call logs, sex tapes etc. Not going far from home, I have receipts on the local who's-who and the aliens in their basements. Those I will take to my grave, I'm not about being messy. But all I can say, if 'Love and Hip Hop' needs to expand its franchise, we have files for the best candidates for the cast. And with love, (because it's my guilty pleasure), LHH is a toxic reflection of culture - black, hip hop and just for one's mental well being.

Again, why do we scrape at the bottom of the barrel? Remember LaTrey? Well, he suggested that I was throwing myself at him parce que he's an entertainer. Honestly, when a boy gets so used to panties thrown at him, he assumes that everyone wants him. Baffled I just kept my opinions to myself, but that's another reason he wasn't getting it. He blurred my politeness and humanity for sliding into his DMs. He's still cute though, and I do like him, but I now drink wine from the top of the barrel. Again, I'm not here to insult entertainers, because they work hard to make the world a better place with their craft. My thing is, refuse to attach myself with assumptions of clout chasing. I have worked too damn hard to become a woman of substance. 

And am a work in progress. And I guess, we all are a work in progress. Yes, live your life, just make sure that you know what you want. And make sure that what you choose is top notch. Not in terms of optics, but in the value that it serves for you. In the value that it brings out of you. Life is too short for regrets, make sure that your vagenda doesn't entertain 'poor' choices. 

Find yourself, close the cookie factory, aspire for someone who speaks to your higher self and burn that black book. If there are no photos, text messages, or social media trail of uncouth behaviour, girl you have got a clean slate.


P.S.: Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it… I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn? "In my own rule book,   CONSISTENCY is very important." In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney

Winter ABC Day 6: Thank You Carrie Bradshaw

Who knew that a TV show would be the reason that I intentionally speak my mind? You can learn nothing from television they say. TV makes you dumb! Oh well, maybe so, however one television show was the match for this wildfire. My older sister pulled her hair out when she found out that my young sister and I were watching Sex and the City. Amongst her collection of video cassettes, she had a box set of the guilty pleasure, Sex and the City. The age guide was no under 21; I was 17 and my younger sibling was way too young. You are telling yourself that these adolescents were mischievous, maybe. I believe we were curious and adventurous. I was obsessed with pop culture with the hopes of one day being Lala Vasquez on TRL or hosting E! News. From my collection of People magazine I had read so much about the cast of Sex and the City. There were mentions of the cast members of the hit show in particular Sarah Jessica Parker. SJP as she's affectionately known, played the lead role of