Skip to main content

Script My Life: In All Honesty

Honesty isn't always the best policy but it can always give closure to old books...so that you begin new chapters!



I don't always like being honest especially with myself. Every time that I have chosen to tell myself the truth, I have felt so much pain. But the truth will set you free...always! When I'm not busy trying to be a somebody or making money, I love to unwind to some good old TV. Considering that I'm often tied up, when I have free time, I binge watch series and catch up with movies. Even on my couch I continue to be a student of life and actually learning something from what I watch.

Have you ever noticed how at the climax of a movie or series, there's that part where the truth comes out. People say exactly how they feel or the reason behind their behaviour. In horror movies, the protagonist often discover the truth that will set them free from the haunting evil spirit. That had me thinking about how we in reality deal with the truth.

Contrary to popular belief, I have often kept things to myself. Actually, growing up I failed to express myself through spoken words. I have been challenged in standing up for myself and being honest. Let's not even get started when it came to relationships. With time and growth, I have found myself speaking more and more. I am opinionated! But I have felt a lot of weight lifted off my shoulders due to speaking my truth. The attitude that I have is, what do I have to lose? Well, maybe a lot or maybe nothing, but one thing that I have learnt is that you suffer more from silence.

How many times have you tossed and turned wishing that you had said something? How many times have you felt relief when you actually cussed out someone or vented your frustrations? You then realise that there is power in words.

I have watched on my favourite shows when the act of speaking changed the direction of a character's fate or the plot of the story. In the last season of Insecure, Molly told Dro that she didn't like the whole side chick role in his life. Though she may have loved him and their sex life was amazing, she realised that she didn't want  to be the other woman. Let's take the latest season of Star, where Star told her baby daddy about the pregnancy. Star gets to experience a man who wants to be present for her despite her past or bulldozing personality. I could go on about every single plot where spoken words flipped the script or changed the plot of the film, but I wont.

The relation of words spoken, written or texted change the very script of our lives. We can influence how we are treated by others by what we say. We can make or change perceptions depending on how and what we say.

Words means nothing if they have no meaning 
Words mean nothing if your actions are contradicting 
I am paying for my mistakes of too many words spoken 
Like Alicia Keys, I am a prisoner of words unspoken 
When I spoke I said the wrong words 
When I kept my silence I didn’t say the right words 
You say that the right words are uplifting 
But how am I supposed to say them to you 
If you and I barely speaking - Eloya Somaine 

Words once said can't be taken back, but why hold back words that could set you free! We need to begin to have honest conversations with ourselves. We need to be honest with others. The truth about speaking one's truth isn't about the next person's reaction to your words, but the relief of saying them.

So what you tell someone that you love them and they don't reciprocate. So what you don't like your best friend's partner. So what, if you aren't the strongest or smartest person in the world? What you will have, is a certain level of peace of mind. If anything ever happens whether negative or positive you actually won't regret 'words left unsaid'.

Whilst I do put into consideration of what I say, I do speak my mind. I have told my crushes that I like them. I have told my close friends and family that I appreciate them. Hell, I have even told that bully at work that I will no tolerate their tone of voice or how they treat me. Plus, I will go and report to HR!

Life is too short to be a prisoner of words unsaid...

Honesty will keep you from losing your mind over words left unsaid 

You never know what doors you could unlock or close when you speak. So in all honesty...say something!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Lady E

Ciao!

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Auld Lang Syne ... Maybe Not All the Time

Sometimes the end is a new beginning!  It's a new year! To be more precise, the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-two. According to the Hebrew calendar the year is 5782.  The crossover into 2022 was particularly dull due to the curfew. When we say that the pandemic is a buzzkill, the sentiment is real. As a staunch believer in the saying, "How you leave is how you enter," I often enjoy spending my time in church. The service prior to the countdown often invigorates my faith. Praying and seeding on the first day of the 365 or 366 is comforting. Unfortunately, the authorities ensured that the gathering of the saints wouldn't happen on their watch. We had to sit and watch the livestream from home. As the new year came, I started to think of the song synonymous with the new year. Auld Lang Syne. Based on the 18th century Scottish song, the words read: Should Old Acquaintance be forgot, and never thought upon; The flames of Love extinguished, and fully past a...

7 Ways to Sage Your Space

Unlearn and burn your inhibitions... We grew up socialised into certain behaviours and beliefs that are sometimes unhealthy for our mental wellbeing. These factors contribute to brokeness, poverty mentality and self loathing. Many of us may experience stunted emotional, spiritual and mental growth due to past experiences and beliefs. But the cycle needs to be broken now. Our generation is privileged to acknowledge the unhealthy patterns in our lives. We have the ability to unlearn mindsets that have prevented us from living our best lives. I have been on my journey to healing for the past four years. The journey to healing and self love isn't an easy one. It does help to realise that there is so much to you than what meets the eye. Your healing begins by spring cleaning your life. It's out with the old, and in with what you carefully choose to enter. This cleaning applies to every aspect of your life. As we go into the second half of the year, let's reevaluate ou...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...