Skip to main content

I Ain't Got My Shit Together

It's okay that I'm not the ideal because I'm a work in progress!

I was listening to Brandy's discography and then I resonated with the lyrics to 'Camouflage'. I love the part when she sings, "And God knows I ain't perfect, Tell me who in the world is, All I know is that I'm searching, For somebody to love me with." Yes, then I recall my many arguments with Sagittarius. Always fighting dirty and hitting below the belt. As I have previously highlighted, I asked of him, to step up and meet me halfway. That's what normal people in a relationship do, right?

Attempting reverse psychology on me, he would state that I thought of myself as 'perfect'. Whilst I chastised him, not to be condescending, but to make the relationship 'work', but I was the villain. He would be petty and sulk that he's always wrong with me instead of taking responsibility. Sigh! I wish that he chose to understand that I'm far from perfect. I have never been the poster child of 'perfection'. Yes, in my career and certain areas I tend to be a perfectionist. But over the years, I have said to myself screw that.

As I shared in a previous post, I have in my subconscious, picked my 'poor choice' in partners based on going against 'perfection'. Who wants a 'perfect' person whose standards of perfection will come with high standards? That's not me! I want 'him' rough on the edges but can be polished into a diamond. And we do that together? Sigh, again.

I'm a thirty one year old, single , African woman, who's also a mother. In other parts of the world, I would have had my own place, a car, health insurance and maybe, be married. I'm passionate and talented yet I'm not where I'm supposed to be. I'm not even earning a salary my worth. I am expected by my employer to perform 110%. I'm expected by my family to be baptised and get married. I'm expected to be the perfect mother, despite growing up without my own mother. The guys I date expect me to be a Pixie dream girl with a fat booty and little to no life ambitions. My friends expect me to have it all together - never crying, and never sweating.

Sigh! The expectaction is to be perfect! The most frustrating expectaction in life unless you have a six figure bank balance.

What most forget, is that I am part of less than 30% of millenials in Africa. Africa the continent riddled with corruption, war and famine. I live in a country where the word 'disposable income' doesn't even make the urban dictionary. Our current economic climate doesn't permit a millenial to progress. Unless as millennials we engage in illegal or so called 'immoral' practises, our progress is slower. Things like owning houses or disposable income are a mirage.

My back story is that I'm an orphan, maybe not staying in a shelter type. Still, I didn't have the privilege of having parents to see me through to college. I didn't attend college, haven't afforded it. I didn't earn an inheritance from my baby boomer parents of having a property estate. All my life, I have had to prove myself and work towards 'perfection'. On paper by now I would be a media mogul in the making, with a five figure salary, a penthouse on the upper East side of New York. By sixteen or eighteen I would have my drivers licence and maybe car. I would have gone to an ivy league school and graduated by twenty two, or at most at 25. By then I would have met the love of my life who I would be married to by 30.

Remember Mr. X? I met Mr. X the day that I turned exactly 25. I thought that Mr. X was my soul mate and even the 'one'. In a perfect world, we would have been a media power couple in Africa, with our 'perfectly' blended family. We are both Cancers, creative and driven. But that sounded good in my head and on paper. According to a study by Stanford University, on average, people over 25 said they wanted ideally to marry by 27, buy a home by 28 and start a family by 29. However, these goals are met by those between 25 and 34, of which they are a few.

In Africa, my country to be particular, the expectaction is, by twenty five I should be married. By thirty I should have a house, health insurance, life insurance and a decent paycheck.


I have been writing this blog kinda being a person who's figured it all out. I share insights from personal experiences and wisdom from mentors. But honestly I don't! As I write this I have been on that pendulum with Sagittarius. And it's recent. I aspire for Michelle Obama's love story. I really want to be that quality woman and have that relationship that I deserve. I have always envied Sadé - her feminity, elegance and allure. I want to be Sadé!

But I'm not there yet. I know a few people who sit in the same position as myself. I relate to them but some don't even know it. I have taken responsibility to work towards being a better version of myself. It's not about being perfect, it's about being in that place where you feel positive about yourself. During your lowest points you can still see the rainbow.

I don't want to pretend to be what I'm not. Neither do I want to lower the need to be better to make the next person feel better about themselves.

So, yes, at my age I ain't got my shit together, but it's okay!

Your life is only perfect on social media where you can filter and have many takes....

In real life, you are working towards being the better version of yourself.

P.S. : Always write your own love story!

Lady E

Ciao!

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Auld Lang Syne ... Maybe Not All the Time

Sometimes the end is a new beginning!  It's a new year! To be more precise, the year of our Lord two thousand and twenty-two. According to the Hebrew calendar the year is 5782.  The crossover into 2022 was particularly dull due to the curfew. When we say that the pandemic is a buzzkill, the sentiment is real. As a staunch believer in the saying, "How you leave is how you enter," I often enjoy spending my time in church. The service prior to the countdown often invigorates my faith. Praying and seeding on the first day of the 365 or 366 is comforting. Unfortunately, the authorities ensured that the gathering of the saints wouldn't happen on their watch. We had to sit and watch the livestream from home. As the new year came, I started to think of the song synonymous with the new year. Auld Lang Syne. Based on the 18th century Scottish song, the words read: Should Old Acquaintance be forgot, and never thought upon; The flames of Love extinguished, and fully past a...