Skip to main content

Do I Have to Cross the Ocean?

Should I do cartwheels on a plank for someone who hasn't crossed the ocean for me?


We all know that sacrifice comes from commitment. When there is commitment, sacrifice is inevitable. At one point or another, we have had to sacrifice for something. The decision didn’t come easy but due to the commitment to a vision or promise, you made your sacrifice. And it was worth it.

I was thinking about how the old me went to lengths to be loved. I lived in a 'people pleasing' mode where I became the lamb of sacrifice. There are even people that I gave up my opportunities for because I 'cared'. Years later, I have moved out of that train of thought. Love is a two way street. Not that you will be keeping score, but why should you go out of your way for someone who doesn't flinch at your very existence.

We experience people differently and have different relationship dynamics. There are people that you might not communicate with in a very long time, but will come through for you, in your time of need. Then there are those whom you are literally snorting each other's air but do not edify you.

Recently I wasn't in the mood to attend a friend's function. I was feeling under the weather, but the push factor was my obligation. Obligation to our friendship and how many times my friend went out of her way for me. Don't get me wrong, I love my friend with my whole being. In my circle, I am part mother hen, big sister and a lot of times Iyanla Vanzant. I understand the role of my presence. Whilst I go through my trail of thought, who have you gone to lengths for? What gave you the need to do that?

In terms of relationships, when do you start to 'sacrifice' for your partner? How much time or money are you willing to spend on them? What determines those 'obligations'? Me thinks, his birthday is coming up and he stated that he's expecting something from me. The old me would have ordered something on Amazon in advance. The me right now, is on that Janet Jackson, "What have you done for me lately?" In addition, in what capacity do I 'do something?'.

I'm amazed with such entitlement! The expectaction that I should 'do something' por que? Bruno Mars asked, why your eyes were wide open...you need to keep them pierced. There are people who might take your kindness for weakness. You forgive them seventy times seven and they think that they can walk all over you. In a 'relationship' if the other half hasn't put effort to define your relationship or who you are to them, you know what to do.

Swerve!

That goes for friends, business partners and anybody else who has 'expectations'. The era of martyrs is gone. As an individual you are also not entitled to people bending over for you. You too need to put in effort and commitment. And it doesn't always have to be material, it can be your time, service or just your heart.

I love Monica's lyrics for 'For You I Will'. "I will cross the ocean for you, I will go and bring you the moon," such a noble idea. Easier said than done. When your eyes are piercing, you are wide awake. You can tell the difference between those who you can go in the line of fire for. You actually appreciate them. The sacrifices come in all shapes and sizes.

Will I catch a grenade or walk a across a plank for someone?

Certain acts of sacrifice can only be given when a certain level of commitment is shown.

P.S. : Always write your own love story!

Lady E

Ciao!


Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Script My Life: Grown-ish Season 2 Episode 18

I choose ME! We watch and I write; correlating fictional characters with reasonably realistic plot lines to our lives. Script my life! I chose not to review a whole season of a series, neither a film this week. I was struggling to write an authentic story about something that spoke to me through visual consumption. And then I felt emotions erupt as I watched the latest episode of Grown-ish. While I sometimes relate to the protagonist, Zoey Johnson, she annoys me more as I watch this second season. I must forgive her because she's a spoilt 19 year old who is yet to learn the realities of growing up. But she does these really annoying things like being judgemental and being up in people's business. I do love Nomi, Sky (Halle Bailey) and Doug (Diggy Simmons) though. Their characters have so much to offer to the show and audience. In this week's episode titled, 'Nice for What', the young women of the coming-of-age sitcom had to make hard relationship choice...