Skip to main content

Script My Life: Reality High

High school will always be tough no matter what era...


Script My Life: Reality High Photo credit: Netflix

Top be honest, I hated high school with a passion. Okay, most of high school, senior year was bearable. I went through serious teenage angst and it didn't help that I didn't fit in. I struggled with my identity because I grew up bourgie but lived in the ghetto, spoke with a twang and was an artist at heart. I loved pretty things but I preferred being comfortable.

And that's why when I watched the Netflix original film, Reality High, I could relate. In high school, everyone wants to be cool and fit in. Starring Nesta Cooper and Keith Powers, the movie is about awkward yet high achieving senior Dani Barnes. Dani is focused on going to college and volunteers at the school's veterinary section.

But Dani has an arch enemy not by choice. Enter Alexa Medina, the most popular girl in school who has a vlog. Alexa has a large following of nine million followers and is always moving around taking videos, and photos. Alexa and Dani used to be best friends until Alexa humiliated Dani at camp.

Alexa is dating star swimmer, Cameron Drake, whom Dani has had a crush on. In being uncool, Dani has a good friendship with Freddie Myers, an aspiring DJ. Dani has to organise a fundraiser for the dogs. However apart from Freddie and her dead grandma, she has a long way to go.

Dani then takes her sister's advice and gets a makeover. Dani catches the attention of Cameron Drake who she starts dating. After attending Cameron's pool party, Alexa catches wind of Dani and Cameron dating through her friends, Holly and Miguel. A scorned Alexa, befriends Dani who reluctantly says, yes.

Dani becomes part of Alexa's squad goals. They hang out together and Dani gets to meet Kid Ink, whom she's a fan of. In the midst of it all, Dani loses herself and disappoints those who care about her. She forgets to pick up Freddie for his first paying gig. She embarrasses Cameron during an interview and fails to meet her mentor, Dr. Fiona Shively's requirements. This puts her college recommendation at risk.

In the cliche high school movie sequence, Dani has to make things right. This comes after Alexa puts out a vlog accusing Dani of being a stalker. The video goes viral and Dani is made out to be obsessed with Alexa. Dani finally speaks up on Facebook Live,  sharing a compelling story about fundraising for dogs. Kid Ink co-signs the event which becomes a success. Dani gets her recommendation, Freddie forgives her and she kisses and makes up with Cameron.

In reality, the weirdos or outsiders rarely get a high school happy ending. Mean girls and bullies often thrive in high school and even life. But the lessons learnt from Reality High is that whilst finding yourself is a journey, likes don't matter. We are in age where being poor or sad on social media is an option.

We dress up, do make up and fake up so that we are approved by the world. If you are a corporate brand or being backed up by corporate 'likes' do matter. But for an ordinary person, you need real people in real life. People who will help you out when you need them. People you can text or call for a dollar. People who see you for who you are and love you just the way you are.

I think the last statement applied for me in my senior year. I became friends with feisty, smart people who weren't into what others thought of them. They encouraged me to be myself. One friend would always support me when I was saving money. She would buy me lunch or add money to my bus fare. The other friend would encourage me to be confident in myself and even in being weird. She would always say, "You do know that high school isn't the end of life?"

However, I do acknowledge the challenges of identity. So at times we need to actually get hurt in trying to fit in, to realise that it's nonsense. Ever been in a situation where you just end up saying, I don't need to explain myself.

Sometimes you need to walk in someone else's shoes, to appreciate the comfort of your own! 

Sometimes you need to walk in someone else's shoes, to appreciate the comfort of your own!

P.S. : Always write your own love story!

Lady E

Ciao!

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...