Skip to main content

Script My Life: Maid In Manhattan

"To serve people takes dignity and intelligence. But remember, they are only people with money. And although we serve them, we are not their servants. What we do, Miss Ventura, does not define who we are. What defines us is how well we rise after falling."- Lionel, Maid In Manhattan




In the spirit of mothers day,my script for today are most of the ''single mums'' movies from 'The Fighting Temptations', 'Are We There Yet' to 'Madea's Family Reunion' to 'Maid In Manhattan'. The story lines are about single mothers who have their struggles, also hoping to find love again and are really talented women. Yep, pretty much sounds like me.

Truthfully, I try by all means not to get caught up in movie world because the story lines are too good to be true. But somehow there is always that something that gives an individual that certain connection to a movie. I talked about 'Madea's family Reunion' last week, so today I am in the J Lo mode, 'Maid In Manhattan'.

Jennifer Lopez plays Marisa, who works as a maid in an upmarket hotel,then she is accidentally mistaken for a wealthy socialite by a New York senate candidate,Christopher Marshall.He falls for her,and her son,and then he finds out that she had deceived him.They break up and then have the typical getting back together.

Yeah,yeah.It was a really great movie.How is it similar to my life?Hmmm.It is not,not really.I do not leave in Manhattan that is for sure.I love the Cinderella moment of the movie,where Marissa is in a beautiful ball gown,and she and Chris dance to Glen Lewis',"Fall Again", (amazing song.I get chills and butterflies in my tummy whenever I hear it). But the lesson learnt is that be yourself. It does not matter if 'prince charming' is out of your league, be honest about who you are and where you are from .(And please mention your child(ren)). And yes, people should be forgiven for their mistakes.

Did I mention that at the end Marissa becomes a hotel owner and upgrades her friends to management, and yes, Chris is elected as senator of New York, (power couple). *sigh* What a girl would do to just leave a 'glass slipper' that will allow 'prince charming' to look for her. (Lucky Marissa).

Well the real deal, is somewhere,out there, (for my child and I). Maybe I already left my 'glass slipper' somewhere,or am yet to. As a writer,I will continue to write the script to my life.....

P.S: Always write your love story.

Ciao!

Lady E


Copyright[c] MPV by Lady E All Rights Reserved 2013

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

MTV VMA Review: Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly!

Yaaaas queen! Joy overwhelmed me by just watching Missy Elliott's MTV VMA performance. It's been 16 years since Missy last performed at the VMAs. That year, Missy was joined by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland, as they proved to us what genius looks like. Missy opened her performance with her latest single, "Throw It Back" before throwing fans back to her hits from yesteryear. She performed a medley that included 'The Rain', 'Get Ur Freak On', 'One Minute Man', 'Pass that Dutch' and 'Lose Control'. With each performance the 4-time Grammy winner invoked looks from each music video. She also reunited with dancer, actress and singer, Alyson Stoner, who remains a superb dancer. For those who aren't in the know, Alyson started dancing for Missy when she was a little girl. She became a staple in most of Missy's music videos. In 2015, Alyson paid tribute to the legend with a viral video of Missy's greatest hits. Missy...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...