Skip to main content

I Am Not My Hair

MPV.....my point of view!
I Am Not My Hair.

Fighting with my almost five year old when combing her hair,is very tiresome.My baby's hair is the typical African hair,kinky and hard.And braiding her is not even a walk in the park,the child can kick and scream.

So that war,has made me consider the aid of sodium hydroxide,to doll up my baby.I am not a supporter of children getting their hair relaxed,but it is a struggle with my child's hair.What is a mother to do?

Hair.Over the weekend I watched Chris Rock's documentary,'Good Hair'.I felt so betrayed as a black woman.How dare he reveal the black woman's hair secrets?For many years,women of colour were deceiving other races with extensions,in efforts of them attempting to be more caucasian than african.

Good hair.The beautifully straight,long hair,or lovely waved hair that makes one look like they have just come off a magazine cover.Perfect!

Not that anything was new to me,however the documentery highlighted something very interesting;the 'lengths' women will go to,to achieve a 'crown of glory'.

Black women overseas will spend up to US$5 000 on extensions.Back home,a thousand maximum,(for those who desire to have real,human hair on their manes).Yep,good hair comes with a price.

And what amazes me is that most women who spend that much money,have low income jobs,or no jobs at all.Eish!And sadly,I am like the many women of colour who have succumbed to the belief that 'da kink in my hair',*in a Jamaican accent*,is not good enough.

Imagine going for an interview with an afro,or cornrows,or 'worse',the thread plaiting known as 'mabuns'.Who will hire you?Even take a scenario of two very attractive 'sistas',well dressed,but one has the Indian Remy and the other,au naturel African hair.Who is the one who is going to get the male attention?,(now guys please don't lie.The one with Beyonce's front lace wig,will obviously take the crown).

It is sad really.We as black people across the board are still wearing the shackles and fetter of slavery.We are still colonised even after many years of 'freedom'.Even after Micheal Jackson(who sadly died a white woman *no pun intended),Nelson Mandela,Oprah,Destiny's Child and even Barack Obama,we still do not feel good enough.

We have defined black beauty with all hair straight and fake.My hair as a black woman is not pretty enough until it is straight.So I burn my scalp with hair relaxers,or carry the weight of having weaves,braids or wigs on my head.

My real hair is not straightened.It is soft as a baby's but kinky.I opt to have weaves because though my hair is long,I do not like it.Had it not been for my 'Nazarite' vow,I would have relaxed my hair a long time ago.Noone,except my hairdresser,is allowed to see my natural hair.(Crazy and oppressive,right).

Maybe we need to change our state of mind.I admire India Arie's bold statement and song,'I am not my hair'.She shaved off her long dreadlocks during this period.I am not my hair,a statement we black women should make a motto.'I am not my hair/I am not my skin...'-India Arie

The hair extensions should be an option,and not something that without,women would be suffocated.(Ever noticed the panic attacks women have over their hair).Black hair should not define black beauty,or success.It should just be a part of our anatomy,just like any other body part.

As for my daughter's hair,*sigh*,I better make a plan.But whatever I opt to do,I hope I teach her not to be afraid of her blackness,that her confidence,her beauty,is not found in her hair,but deep within.And of course,she better get used to the afro-comb,and be strong like any other black person.Beauty is pain.

P.S: Always write your own love story.

Ciao!

Lady E

Copyright [c] MPV by Lady E All Rights Reserved 2013

Comments

Popular Posts

The Red Season: Breadcrumbs of Love

No matter how broken you are, a meal of love is what you need. For the first time in a long time, I will admit on this platform, I will admit that I cried. I felt humiliated and hurt. Mariah Carey's "Cry" is playing in my head. I keep asking myself why am I this person? Why do I keep scraping for crumbs of love? Am I not enough? And following a recent disappointment, I reverted to a quote that I saw on a certain blog. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. "You could have the best intentions, you could have the most sincere feelings, and you could be a good woman and you still wouldn't be able to keep a man because the only way to keep a man is if that man wants to be kept by you,"  Sipho Mbhele. Gosh, I'm tired of this circus. The fact

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

The Writings On The Wall

Thou shall move onto the next! And then 'If You Leave' by Destiny's Child and Next starts to play. Gosh, 'The Writings on the Wall' remains my favourite Destiny's Child album, ever. The concept of the '10 commandments' of relationships. Brilliant!  Bonjour, mes amies! Comment ça va? Ça va bien! (Caribbean accent) Your gyal ,  moi , has been experiencing epiphanies. And a few disappointments, but life is too sweet to be upset. Lick your ice cream and have sweet red wine! I travelled through the blogosphere for inspiration for our topic today. Ironically, I also had a discussion with an acquaintance about a similar topic. There's nothing that I love more than people who brag about their intelligence. Oh, my! People pride themselves on their levels of education, often equating it to intelligence. We assess our value based on having degrees, master's degrees, and doctorates. If only those worked in relationships. I think of David Robson's 'W

Dirty Laundry Diaries: Hurts Like a Mother F***er

My humanity will let me hurt as much as I can and be unapologetic for it… I never thought that I would find myself at this place again. Over the past few years, I learnt the word ‘No’ and embraced my power to reject mediocrity. Be it work, life and even romantic relationships. Sigh! I recently found myself breaking almost every rule of every self-help book that I’ve read. Reading is supposed to empower you with knowledge and also help you with making better life choices! Anyway, I recently had to break it off with some guy because of ‘incorrect assumptions’, when will I ever learn? "In my own rule book,   CONSISTENCY is very important." In my own rule book, CONSISTENCY is very important. The moment that there is lack of consistency during the dating period or in a relationship it’s, “Off with his head” (In the voice of the queen of hearts). Sic! But what started off well, ended up like the familiar script that I have writing about for a long time. As Whitney

Winter ABC Day 6: Thank You Carrie Bradshaw

Who knew that a TV show would be the reason that I intentionally speak my mind? You can learn nothing from television they say. TV makes you dumb! Oh well, maybe so, however one television show was the match for this wildfire. My older sister pulled her hair out when she found out that my young sister and I were watching Sex and the City. Amongst her collection of video cassettes, she had a box set of the guilty pleasure, Sex and the City. The age guide was no under 21; I was 17 and my younger sibling was way too young. You are telling yourself that these adolescents were mischievous, maybe. I believe we were curious and adventurous. I was obsessed with pop culture with the hopes of one day being Lala Vasquez on TRL or hosting E! News. From my collection of People magazine I had read so much about the cast of Sex and the City. There were mentions of the cast members of the hit show in particular Sarah Jessica Parker. SJP as she's affectionately known, played the lead role of