Skip to main content

I Am She

"I am she whom out of her womb, brings forth nations." - Eloya Somaine

A pinch and a punch for the new month. March is one of my favorite months, mainly because things really start moving. March is also Women's month, to be specific, Black Women's Month.

And as a black woman, I have a strong sense to make my mark on the world and be empowered. And as a young woman I have women who inspire me to move towards my ambitions.

I aim to be an inspiration, role model(although a burden to carry), to other women and once empowered; I can also empower other women.

So which black women inspire me? Not taking anything away from them, the most important women in my life, the women in my family. My gran(epitomizes Madea), my late mother who was the epitome of femininity, grace and class, my older sister who is my living shero, my babakazi, hardworking and prayerful women, my many crazy-beautiful sisters, aunts and my sisters-in-law.

They are the grassroots of who I am, they continue to mold me and constantly remind me of who I am. Yes, every woman's inspiration should begin at home.

But those who know me, know that I am a woman of great ambition, with so much drive and passion, so it is the obvious case that there are great women of influence who inspire me for different reasons.

From the top, Maya Angelou, she is my 'I Am She'. Poet, writer and human rights activist. The woman's poetry is thought provoking and inspiring, I get goosebumps. She is the epitome of  black women. Strong, intelligent, wise and graceful. I want to be Africa's Maya Angelou.

Then there is, Oprah Winfrey. The name says it all. Beauty out of ashes. Her life story gave weight to her talk show. She is proof that you can be black and rich, even better, a rich, influential black woman.

*Clearing throat*,The First Lady of the US of A, Michelle Obama. The woman brought sexy back to politics. She is stylish, intelligent and she must have an amazing X-factor as an ebony sister, to be a wife to a latte man (no pun intended). She is very much out there. Not intimidated by her husband's political status, but very much involved. Now that's a real woman.

Then the vivacious, Mrs. Carter a.k.a Beyoncé. The woman is a threat. I can see she has taken notes from her husband's handbook. The woman works hard. An Icon at 30! (in Zim, you only get recognition after 40, truth.) She's always inspired me to get there, right there, at the top,... of the world. I want to leave a huge, capital letter 'E', that marks 'I Was Here', (I love that song), on this world.

Another woman with star power is the in-your-face Mizz Kimora Lee Simmons. For me, she is me. A working mother, with an empire and an out there personality. And I so relate to her story of being the outcast, odd one out, but then again extraordinary people should always standout.

And not of the least, from the continent, the motherland, there is the Queen of Nollywood, Genevieve Nnaji and the Queen, Bonang Matheba. These two women are my African dream.

When you see me working, you know where I want to get to, and maybe you will find traits of all the above in me. Then you will understand the term, 'I Am She'. Be inspired, and inspire. Dream big and never give up.

Happy International Women's Month. Happy Friday.

P.S: Always write your own love story.

'Every woman is I Am She'-Eloya Somaine

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

MTV VMA Review: Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly!

Yaaaas queen! Joy overwhelmed me by just watching Missy Elliott's MTV VMA performance. It's been 16 years since Missy last performed at the VMAs. That year, Missy was joined by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland, as they proved to us what genius looks like. Missy opened her performance with her latest single, "Throw It Back" before throwing fans back to her hits from yesteryear. She performed a medley that included 'The Rain', 'Get Ur Freak On', 'One Minute Man', 'Pass that Dutch' and 'Lose Control'. With each performance the 4-time Grammy winner invoked looks from each music video. She also reunited with dancer, actress and singer, Alyson Stoner, who remains a superb dancer. For those who aren't in the know, Alyson started dancing for Missy when she was a little girl. She became a staple in most of Missy's music videos. In 2015, Alyson paid tribute to the legend with a viral video of Missy's greatest hits. Missy...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...