Skip to main content

The Promise: When I Say I Do!

When I say, "I do", it is a commitment for a lifetime!


Life's short. Less than a yardstick short. Biblically, mankind was granted 120 years on this earth. On average today, mankind has approximately 70 years to live, that is 25,567.5 days.

You must be wondering where I am going with this. Does, "I take thee,so and so,to be my lawful, wedded, something,...." sound familiar? Of course, these words are part of the traditional wedding vows.

Gosh! Gushing Don't we all just love weddings, where there is the blushing groom,who cant wait to get out of his tuxedo (pretty much because it's uncomfy), and the starry-eyed bride,who wishes the moment would last forever.

Forever! A favourite word of many.Imagine the number of songs titled or that include the word 'forever'. I have not heard in a while, one of my favourite songs, 'Forevermore' by Puff Johnson. Oh, I also love hearing that promise of 'forever' by the Okoye twins, 'If you were my girl,.....I promise to love you forever...'Forever!

So, so far the word vow,promise and forever have been used several times.Let us see,a vow is a solemn promise or declaration of intention.Promise is the synonym to vow,but it means,a statement which one wishes to be believed of what one will do.Or a sign of future success or good results.And as for forever,for eternity(err,in this lifetime).


So basically when two people,a couple,are exchanging vows they are saying,'I promise to love you,stay by your side,....for all future time.'So calculating with the number of days one has to live,how long is forever?


Not to sound sceptical,but the idea of 'forever' to me is more like an illusion during a Cirque du Soleil magic act,unreal.As I said,we have very few days to breathe this planet's air,so when one declares an intention of eternity,are they including the afterlife too?


After meeting a few,dddd...divorced men,who claim that the causative organism of their failed marriages, was mainly due to broken promises.What was vowed,when they said 'I do',and the outcome,very paradoxical.


'Promises,so full of them,yet they disappear like water vapour.'-Eloya Somaine


I guess it is the excitement or pressure of the idea of marriage that pushes many to make 'promises',which later are more broken,than any injured bones.So why say 'I do',when in reality it is,'Well,maybe,I don't',or 'I think I do'.


I know,it is pretty cool to get all Jagged Edge,but maybe it is high time,people considered the  time factor when it comes to the 'I do'.Why I say this?Because,for those who are married,they take it for granted,and the singles hoping to get married,are disillusioned.


A couple who decides to embark on the journey of marital union should realise that they actually have only 1 200 days together.(after subtracting the time spent apart including working hours,travelling,and even,death).No time,sounds like a contract,hey?


And most times,people waste those very few days arguing about pety issues,spending more time apart than together,always making their relationships a national agenda (three's a crowd,always.Mind your own business).No wonder some of y'all divorce.


Ladies,there is no forever,so instead of going all 'zombie' on your man,chasing fairytales,listening to 'gossip girl',make it a priority to love your man with every millisecond you have.Appreciate him,treat him like a King,learn the art of 'communication' and just be yourself without expectations.And of course,ensure that he is satisfied in the B.E.D.R.O.O.M,(Thou shall not withold thy cookie factory and cookies).So those headaches,or making him sleep on the couch,*shaking my head*,hell no!Besides,you also get satisfied,silly!(NB:Learn from Asian women,no pun intended).Remember,the clock is ticking.


Gentlemen,it is the little things that count.Because you are 'visual' creatures,positively compliment her on her new hairdo,or what she's wearing.Be the handyman around the house,(something as little as changing a lightbulb will make you a superhero).Yes,as complicated as it seems,be shrewd and tactful on how to 'communicate' with your lady without seeming insensitive (as unmanly as it sounds,search for the inner 'pink' in you).Yes,guys when you say 'I do',you officially starr in your own version of 'Out of Time'.


Time,time,time.1 200 days,remember that.Yes,I'm still single but with hopes of settling down,but I refuse to pressure myself or allow myself to be pressured into marriage,because I do not want to get into it with someone whom I might,just 'waste' my time with.Time is precious.


When I do say 'I do',I will just be saying,I am setting my stop watch,so each second,for every word I hope I do not regret,for every effort you make,I appreciate,I seek to serve you like a King,be supportive and allow growth,understanding that we are constantly evolving.


'I can never make a promise that I can't keep.'-Dru Hill,so when I say 'I do',it is an action,I do!


P.S: Always write your own love story.


Ciao!


Lady E


Copyright [c] MPV by Lady E All Rights Reserved 2013

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

MTV VMA Review: Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly!

Yaaaas queen! Joy overwhelmed me by just watching Missy Elliott's MTV VMA performance. It's been 16 years since Missy last performed at the VMAs. That year, Missy was joined by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland, as they proved to us what genius looks like. Missy opened her performance with her latest single, "Throw It Back" before throwing fans back to her hits from yesteryear. She performed a medley that included 'The Rain', 'Get Ur Freak On', 'One Minute Man', 'Pass that Dutch' and 'Lose Control'. With each performance the 4-time Grammy winner invoked looks from each music video. She also reunited with dancer, actress and singer, Alyson Stoner, who remains a superb dancer. For those who aren't in the know, Alyson started dancing for Missy when she was a little girl. She became a staple in most of Missy's music videos. In 2015, Alyson paid tribute to the legend with a viral video of Missy's greatest hits. Missy...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...