Skip to main content

It's not you...….Maybe it's me!

Eldom: Do not live a life of s-umptions.

I just had one of those weekends,too mellow for my liking.Last night I watched for the second time,the screenplay adaptation of Steve Harvey's book,'Think Like A Man,Act Like A Lady'.

Good movie with lots of humour a la Kevin Hart.But it had me thinking and reeling over my relationship faux pas.This is rehab session number three.

Remember 'Rated R'?I mentioned the book I am working on,'The Scoreboard'[c].One of the chapters, I share the healing process from the hurt of rejection.In 'The Great Expectations',I mentioned that expectations are the major causes of disappointments which could possibly lead to heartbreak.

As I 'studied' the movie,I saw myself in three of the female characters;Taraji P. Henson(the ambitious woman),Meagan Goode(90-day rule girl) and Regina Hall(the single-mum).And yes,I have committed most of the crimes mentioned in the book/movie.

And I thought about the infamous Mr X,whom,if he were a movie title,he would be 'Mission Impossible'.As I said,his douchebag rating has gone down by almost 50 percent,mainly due to my own personal soul searching.

I bet this line has been used on you,or maybe you have used it on someone else,'It's not you,it's me.'But this line is usually the breakup line,however in this discussion,it is more of a self examination question.

Yes Mr X had his faults,but I realised last night that maybe it was not really him,but more of me.This is not a pity party,I do not like pity.Yes,I am going to a place of vulnerability,(and I am not afraid,but do not judge me).This is to help any lady or anyone,recover,find forgiveness and the strength to move on,and to avoid the same mistakes,if ever they want to find success in love,relationships and even life.One important thing is to look at oneself before calling the next person names,(hence why I have refrained from the word 'douchebag').

As I said,I saw all the red flags that Mr X was 'trouble'.Even his background,and the things I had heard about him,spelt out,'trouble,trouble,trouble....'.But he was the most beautiful man I had ever met.Handsome,charming,funny,intelligent,amazing voice,creative....my kind of guy,but...1.My Problem:Not taking heed to warning signs and 2.Overestimating my abilities to tame the 'Beast' to Prince Charming.

Lesson Learnt:Had I just watched the 'Do not enter' sign,I would not have dove into 'quicksand' (and swallow me whole it did).I would never have had any expectations because I would not have anyone to expect anything from.

My Problem:Like Taraji's character,sometimes I am 'a man'.Having been raised by my father,yes I do sometimes forget that I am a girl.Hence my go-getter attitude,which at times has made me a hunter,instead of being the hunted.Lesson learnt:I do not have a penis,hence when it comes to the 'love game',I should always let the male pursue me.As old school as it sounds.

So going deep down I realised, being a crustacean myself (Cancerian),this personality in as much as it is my strength, it is also a defence mechanism. It is because of abandonment issues.

My Problem: Yes, I hunted and pursued Mr X, came on strong like tequila. Lesson learnt: Strong women are attractive, but it has to be subtle. Give the guy breathing space; especially if he has not laid out his cards on the table. Just go with the flow (if there is any).

My problem: Once I was told I was 'clingy'. I cringed at the thought, but once again theory was proved right. Yes, I was clingy. I was so afraid of losing, it was becoming a little obsessive. Lesson Learnt: What is worth holding onto, will hold on to you. No human being can control another no matter what, so people are in our lives for different reasons. Some are one-hit wonders, others just at a filling station as they pass by, whilst others seasonal, and some are like tattoos, for life.

My Problem: Like Regina Hall, it is hard being a single mum trying to pull off a balancing act of the different roles in life. I do want security for my daughter and I.A 'fatherly-figure' in our lives, to lead us, teach us and head us. Did I see a father in Mr X? Yes. Actually, he reminded me more of my own father. Lesson Learnt: No expectations. No one can replace anyone else.

Having done this introspection, yes I have forgiven Mr X. This is not a blame game; I always say, 'You burn, you learn.' I am working on forgiving myself for this particular incidence whilst also dealing with my insecurities and bad habits.

I need to grow up and come out of fairy tales. Sadly life is not a movie, so there are not cliched romantic endings.

Eldom: Everything begins with you. Love, peace, happiness, confidence and forgiveness. Live for you, so that whether on you are own or with people, you are never lonely.

Today's session ends here. Let go and let God.

P.S: Always write your own love story.

Ciao!

Lady E

Copyright[c] MPV by Lady E All Rights Reserved 2013

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w...

MTV VMA Review: Missy Elliott, Supa Dupa Fly!

Yaaaas queen! Joy overwhelmed me by just watching Missy Elliott's MTV VMA performance. It's been 16 years since Missy last performed at the VMAs. That year, Missy was joined by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland, as they proved to us what genius looks like. Missy opened her performance with her latest single, "Throw It Back" before throwing fans back to her hits from yesteryear. She performed a medley that included 'The Rain', 'Get Ur Freak On', 'One Minute Man', 'Pass that Dutch' and 'Lose Control'. With each performance the 4-time Grammy winner invoked looks from each music video. She also reunited with dancer, actress and singer, Alyson Stoner, who remains a superb dancer. For those who aren't in the know, Alyson started dancing for Missy when she was a little girl. She became a staple in most of Missy's music videos. In 2015, Alyson paid tribute to the legend with a viral video of Missy's greatest hits. Missy...

Solo

Be the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with. Porque eres el único cuerpo con el que estás atrapado para siempre ! With that said, it's good to have our feet back on solid ground. I can't wait for the  next trip ! Now ladies, we are dressing up for not just one, but several dates. Through our journey to  becoming , we are all about self-introspection and self-love. We are going on a solo date where we assess if we enjoy our own company, embrace our flaws, and seek to be better versions of ourselves.  Single ladies, bring your A-game with the wardrobe, face, body and most importantly, personality because we are putting our best foot forward. Put on your favourite outfit because we're going on a couple of dates with ourselves! Gentlemen, y'all invited to observe. A nous allez!  Date #1: Restaurant  I'm wearing a midi, nude pink, chiffon dress. I'm pairing the outfit with gold jewellery, and rose gold heels. I made a reservation at my favourite ...