Skip to main content

I Am She

I Am She.

A pinch and a punch for the new month. March is one of my favourite months of the year, mainly because things really start moving. March is also Women's month, to be specific, Black Women's Month.

And as a black woman, I have a strong sense to make my mark on the world and be empowered. And as a young woman I have women who inspire me to move towards my ambitions.

I aim to be an inspiration, role model(although a burden to carry), to other women and once empowered; I can also empower other women.

So which black women inspire me? Not taking anything away from them, the most important women in my life, the women in my family. My gran(epitomises Madea - the wisdom of course), my late mother who epitomised grace and class, my older sister, my babakazi (tete), a hardworking and prayerful woman, my many crazy-beautiful sisters, aunts and my sisters-in-law.

They are the grassroots of who I am, they continue to mould me and constantly remind me of who I am. Yes, every woman's inspiration should begin at home.

But those who know me, know that I am a woman of great ambition, with so much drive and passion, so it is the obvious case that there are great women of influence who inspire me for different reasons.

From the top, Maya Angelou, she is my 'I Am She'. Poet, writer and human rights activist. The woman's poetry is thought provoking and inspiring, I get goose bumps. She is the epitome of  black women. Strong, intelligent, wise and graceful. I want to be the African Maya Angelou.

Then there is, Oprah Winfrey. The name says it all. Beauty out of ashes. Her life story gave weight to her talk show. She is proof that you can be black and rich, even better, a rich, influential black woman.

*Clearing throat*,The First Lady of the US of A, Michelle Obama. The woman brought sexy back to politics. She is stylish, intelligent and she must have an amazing X-factor as an ebony sister, to be a wife to a latte man(no pun intended). She is very much out there. Not intimidated by her husband's political status, but very much involved. Now that's a real woman.

Then the vivacious, Mrs Carter a.k.a Beyoncé. The woman is a threat. I can see she has taken notes from her husband's handbook. The woman works hard. An Icon at 30!(in Zim, you only get recognition after 40,truth.) She's always inspired me to get there, right there, at the top of the world. I want to leave a huge, capital letter 'E', that marks 'I Was Here',(I love that song),on this world.

Another woman with star power is the in-your-face Mizz Kimora Lee Simmons. For me, she is me. A working mother, with an empire and an out there personality. And I so relate to her story of being the outcast, odd-one-out, but then again extraordinary people should always standout.

And not of the least, from the continent, the motherland, there is the Queen of Nollywood, Genevieve Nnaji and the Queen of media, Bonang Matheba. These two women are my African dream.

When you see me working, you know where I want to get to, and maybe you will find traits of all the above in me. Then you will understand the term, 'I Am She'. Be inspired, and inspire. Dream big and never give up.

Happy Black Women's Month. Happy Friday.

P.S: Always write your own love story.

'Every woman is I Am She'- Eloya Somaine

Ciao!

Lady E


Copyright[c] MPV by Lady E All Rights Reserved 2013

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

Book Review: The Kings that Didn’t Need This Queen

Until you resolve your brokeness, you will continue to be broken. I am pretty stoked about sharing this month's read. As a writer, reading various forms of literature enriches the craft. Reading builds culture and reinforces application of lessons learnt. I also read books and blogs by fellow writers to support their work through commenting, and sharing. This is how we grow communities you see. Prior to offering a review of this month's book, I would like to share a brief history of the writer. I met this young woman, Nobuhle Nyoni at a birthday, and album listening party for producer and artist, Verseless. She was friendly and bubbly, we even shared a ride into town as we went home. That wouldn't be the last time that I would be in communication with her. Through the magazine that I am editor for, we made effort to push her event. Though I didn't manage to attend the event, I saw the potential of this young woman. In 2017, under the collective called Veryus ,...

MPV.....my point of view!

Don't take anything personal because it's my point of view! But if you can relate, let's have this conversation. I began my journey with my point of view last year,however to give you a feel of my writing you can follow my facebook timeline for Elspeth Chimedza (my birth name). All my blogs are posts titled MPV....my point of view! The topics are: Single ladies        Coyote Ugly                                           Serendipity                                                               The Great expectations Script My life:Love Jones The Promise:When I Say I do! Stripped Single Ladies Part2 Swagger Like My Daddy Rated R Make It Work It's not you....maybe it's me Girl Power Stupid In l...

But Why Wait?

When you find what you are looking for, why wait?  She finally made it! Congratulations to the now Mrs Jennifer Affleck.  Jenny from the block is officially Mrs. Jennifer Lynn Affleck. It's official, Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck are married. According to news reports, the couple tied the knot on Saturday, during an "intimate ceremony in Las Vegas." This actually comes as a surprise because nothing is ever small, or intimate with J lo. For as long as we have known the Bronx native, she goes all out. We expected that her wedding would be as extravagant as her 'Marry Me' character.  Clearly she didn't want to jinx her second chance. The Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez a.k.a Bennifer's love story began 20 years ago. The couple initially met in December 2001 on the set of the rom-com "Gigli," where they played criminals stuck on a job together. Not long after that they started dating. By November 2002, the two were engaged, but postponed their weddin...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...