Skip to main content

Motivation, That Black Girl Magic!

My brown baby can see the magic in her complexion!


Normani has just made my Friday! Today happens to be my daughter's birthday! Oh, yes I finally have a 'tween'. I'm just two years shy from a having a teenager. And with a teenager there's the need to be 'cool' and relevant. This is the stage where formation of a future adult occurs. These are impressionable years.

To some extent, I ignored the status quo. It's none of my business because it's a broken record with so much noise. It's deja vu without effective results, so my ignorance is bliss! In other news, yes my little girl is a young lady now! And guess what, a member of one of her favourite girl groups just dropped a banger.

Though not yet age appropriate for her due to the lyrics, Normani's 'Motivation' video is everything! Imagine a brown girl breaking the internet! She's earned the applause of her peers and even praise from legends such as Missy Elliott. Y'all we weren't ready!

'Motivation' pays homage to music videos from the early 2000s. We see Beyoncé's 'Crazy in Love'; J Lo's, 'I'm Real' remix, and Britney Spears', 'Baby Give Me One More Time' to name but a few. It's been a long time since we've celebrated a brown girl killing it! Back in the 90s and early 2000s brown girls ruled! I'm not here to start the the light skin versus dark skin debate, but I will celebrate the dark skin queen.



I myself am light skinned but my daughter is chocolate. I'm angst with the status quo in mainstream media. There's little representation for brown to dark skinned black women and girls. Sure Beyoncé can sing about 'Brown Skin Girls' but it's a collective narrative about women of colour (Latinas and Indians included). But she and many light skinned or mixed race women will never experience the need for representation as much as their more chocolate skinned counterparts.

The craze over Normani's song will eventually fade, like the attention span of today's audience. But in the meantime I will busk in the excitement of a young woman that my daughter can see herself through. My daughter loves to dance, so when we watched the 'Motivation' music video, she was excited. She was like, "Mum, that's the girl from Fifth Harmony! She's so pretty!" She added that she loved the back flips that Normani pulled off by the basketball court.

There's so much that a parent can do to influence their child's perception of self. Pop culture is often the 'influencer' in pre-teens and teenagers' lives. I grew up at a different time, where television was a privilege. Regardless, I spent my formative years in West Africa with plenty of ebony skinned women. I felt represented  at that stage because they were black and African like me. I knew that people had different skin tones, but that wasn't major. Even as I grew older, I looked up to Brandy, Monica, and Naomi Campbell, who were all brown women. Hell, I even loved the first aunt Vivien from the 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air'. And remember Will's cousin, Ashley played by Tatyana Ali? They were portrayed as beautiful, strong, elegant and feminine. I remember the lead female singers in groups such as 702, 3LW, and Misteeq, were also brown and ebony skinned girls. They were vocally talented and beautiful. That's what I would love my daughter to see.

Today, brown girls take the backseat and are underrated. We might scream inclusiveness and diversity but that's not the narrative on the ground. I constantly have to check for films, TV shows and music videos where my daughter isn't exposed to subconscious self hate. I look at Keke Palmer, SZA and Ryan Destiny and value their contribution to black and pop culture. Keke is so underrated it breaks my heart. SZA is an insane vocalist while Ryan Destiny is the total package!

But I am amongst those changing the narrative. With the blessing of living in Africa, my daughter and other little girls can see themselves represented. As a storyteller and content creator, I take full advantage of sharing what I believe in. From books to animations, movies and music videos, little brown and ebony girls can see protagonists like themselves. Little boys can have a diverse perception of black beauty. When they grow up into young men, they will find brown and ebony women beautiful, and desirable. This will be encouraged by the images that they see and messages they receive.

The 'Motivation' doesn't filter Normani's complexion. She has more brown and ebony dancers during the choreography. Her love interest is a fine, chocolate man. Representation. Not to mention the confidence coupled with sultry vocals. I hope that 'Motivation' is just the beginning of Normani's stardom. Wouldn't want her to be a 'one hit wonder' during her solo career. I want her to reach Whitney Houston, (another brown woman) levels in her own lane. There's a whole generation waiting for such inspiration and representation. We want more black girl magic!

To my daughter, you are beautiful and you are magic! Bind the world under the spell of your kind spirit, infectious smile and unearthed talent!

A happy birthday to my #motivation...

...Mama might not always get it right, but I will try!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

Script My Life: The Perfect Holiday

It's not selfish to want more! It's actually the 25th of December! Oh, you thought that I would take a break from blogging. Not at all. Today, we watch a movie together. Let's find what holiday flick gets us into the spirit. I guess you're wondering why I dialed back to an 'old' movie. Well, I haven’t properly watched this 2007 movie. Imagine it's taken me 13 whole years to watch this holiday flick starring Gabrielle Union-Wade, Morris Chestnut, and the late Charlie Murphy. For those who still haven't watched the movie 'The Perfect Holiday' - spoiler warning. The movie follows two characters who will by the magic of Christmas meet. Before I go ahead, Queen Latifah plays mother Christmas who is the 'Christmas angel'. Terrence Howard is the 'Grinch-like' character named "Bah Humbug", who opposes the 'spirit of Christmas'. We meet Benjamin (Morris Chestnut) is an aspiring songwriter who attempts to break into the mu

Good Guy Isn't Always Mr. Right

Mr. Right isn't perfect, but he makes the relationship worth it. Bonjour mes amies! Comment allez-vous? What's the French phrase for, "I'm decent?" You will let me know as we progress. How have been your dates? I now need deposits into my PayPal account because your girl is pre-rich ...and hungry! Laughs hard. But no cap, I am hungry. I'm wishing that someone's Italian mother, aunt or grandma would just invite me for meals - breakfast, lunch, dinner, and gelato, and say to me, " Mangia, mangia !" So, my single ladies, as we continue to do the inner work, whilst making preparations to meet the King like Esther (from the Bible), let's get into class. We want to unlearn a certain batch of bachelors. Since the inception of this series, we have weighed in the pros and cons of the different suitors-to-be. Let's recap: the widower, divorcee, single dad, younger guy, foreigner, and player. I have shared my experiences with most, if not all, the

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

Script My Life: A Fall From Grace

I finally watched 'A Fall From Grace'.... And I don't know what y'all were complaining about, this flick was great! I am currently working from home during these perilous times of the terrifying COVID 19. The company that I work for made a conscious decision to protect its employees by permitting social distancing via staying at home. While I don't mind working in my pyjamas, this isolation would be ideal in a country with reliable electricity, a stable economy and adequate food supply. Please feel free to send donations, plus I need to make my rent, otherwise... A few months later, I finally got to view Tyler Perry’s, "A Fall From Grace". Premiered exclusively on Netflix, the film is a suspense/thriller written, produced, directed and starring Tyler Perry. Impressively, the film was shot in five days, clearly on a minimal budget. Perry is synonymous with featuring in his own movies from the Madea franchise, to 'Why Did I Get Married?', a

Positive Action for Building Nations

True activism is a deliberate decision to make a difference in people's lives... ...daily! I'm sick and tired of the keyboard ninjas who keep bullying individuals who won't take part in their 'clicktivism'. We get it, we are in a pandemic, you're at home and have a lot of free time. But harassing people won't change a thing. Before the internet Mandela, Lumumba, Machel, Che Guevarra, the Black Panthers took it to the ground. They were actively sacrificing their lives for what they believe in. But those were their choices. Whoever shared the same value, joined in. True activism is a deliberate decision to make a difference in people's lives daily . This is where the modern-day 'activist' gets it wrong. While hashtags push the conversation, if that disconnects with offline activities it makes no sense and offers no genuine change. Last week was very frustrating with people coming for me and my brand to 'speak up' and hashtag. One individual