Skip to main content

Motivation, That Black Girl Magic!

My brown baby can see the magic in her complexion!


Normani has just made my Friday! Today happens to be my daughter's birthday! Oh, yes I finally have a 'tween'. I'm just two years shy from a having a teenager. And with a teenager there's the need to be 'cool' and relevant. This is the stage where formation of a future adult occurs. These are impressionable years.

To some extent, I ignored the status quo. It's none of my business because it's a broken record with so much noise. It's deja vu without effective results, so my ignorance is bliss! In other news, yes my little girl is a young lady now! And guess what, a member of one of her favourite girl groups just dropped a banger.

Though not yet age appropriate for her due to the lyrics, Normani's 'Motivation' video is everything! Imagine a brown girl breaking the internet! She's earned the applause of her peers and even praise from legends such as Missy Elliott. Y'all we weren't ready!

'Motivation' pays homage to music videos from the early 2000s. We see Beyoncé's 'Crazy in Love'; J Lo's, 'I'm Real' remix, and Britney Spears', 'Baby Give Me One More Time' to name but a few. It's been a long time since we've celebrated a brown girl killing it! Back in the 90s and early 2000s brown girls ruled! I'm not here to start the the light skin versus dark skin debate, but I will celebrate the dark skin queen.



I myself am light skinned but my daughter is chocolate. I'm angst with the status quo in mainstream media. There's little representation for brown to dark skinned black women and girls. Sure Beyoncé can sing about 'Brown Skin Girls' but it's a collective narrative about women of colour (Latinas and Indians included). But she and many light skinned or mixed race women will never experience the need for representation as much as their more chocolate skinned counterparts.

The craze over Normani's song will eventually fade, like the attention span of today's audience. But in the meantime I will busk in the excitement of a young woman that my daughter can see herself through. My daughter loves to dance, so when we watched the 'Motivation' music video, she was excited. She was like, "Mum, that's the girl from Fifth Harmony! She's so pretty!" She added that she loved the back flips that Normani pulled off by the basketball court.

There's so much that a parent can do to influence their child's perception of self. Pop culture is often the 'influencer' in pre-teens and teenagers' lives. I grew up at a different time, where television was a privilege. Regardless, I spent my formative years in West Africa with plenty of ebony skinned women. I felt represented  at that stage because they were black and African like me. I knew that people had different skin tones, but that wasn't major. Even as I grew older, I looked up to Brandy, Monica, and Naomi Campbell, who were all brown women. Hell, I even loved the first aunt Vivien from the 'Fresh Prince of Bel Air'. And remember Will's cousin, Ashley played by Tatyana Ali? They were portrayed as beautiful, strong, elegant and feminine. I remember the lead female singers in groups such as 702, 3LW, and Misteeq, were also brown and ebony skinned girls. They were vocally talented and beautiful. That's what I would love my daughter to see.

Today, brown girls take the backseat and are underrated. We might scream inclusiveness and diversity but that's not the narrative on the ground. I constantly have to check for films, TV shows and music videos where my daughter isn't exposed to subconscious self hate. I look at Keke Palmer, SZA and Ryan Destiny and value their contribution to black and pop culture. Keke is so underrated it breaks my heart. SZA is an insane vocalist while Ryan Destiny is the total package!

But I am amongst those changing the narrative. With the blessing of living in Africa, my daughter and other little girls can see themselves represented. As a storyteller and content creator, I take full advantage of sharing what I believe in. From books to animations, movies and music videos, little brown and ebony girls can see protagonists like themselves. Little boys can have a diverse perception of black beauty. When they grow up into young men, they will find brown and ebony women beautiful, and desirable. This will be encouraged by the images that they see and messages they receive.

The 'Motivation' doesn't filter Normani's complexion. She has more brown and ebony dancers during the choreography. Her love interest is a fine, chocolate man. Representation. Not to mention the confidence coupled with sultry vocals. I hope that 'Motivation' is just the beginning of Normani's stardom. Wouldn't want her to be a 'one hit wonder' during her solo career. I want her to reach Whitney Houston, (another brown woman) levels in her own lane. There's a whole generation waiting for such inspiration and representation. We want more black girl magic!

To my daughter, you are beautiful and you are magic! Bind the world under the spell of your kind spirit, infectious smile and unearthed talent!

A happy birthday to my #motivation...

...Mama might not always get it right, but I will try!

P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

We Aren't that Couple!

We are perfectly imperfect! Bonjour mes armies, comment ça va? Je vais trés bien merci!  Bring your glasses of your favourite poison and let's chat. We are drawing close to that time of the year. I wouldn't let us leave this profound year without a few lessons. It's story time.   It's taken time—actually, years—for he and I to come to this place. We haven't always seen eye-to-eye, yet we find ourselves here. It's actually insane! But time does help with self-discovery. For me, the healing process has put things into perspective. I'm not yet there, but I'm becoming her, and he's willing to see me through it.  What I love about he and I is simply the fact that we aren't that couple. You know those who have to constantly update their Gram or WhatsApp status to validate the strength of their union? Before you come for me, it's "cute," and yes, you and your person should declare your affection for each other. I'm just from the sch...

That's Not My Portion

A man  needs to take responsibility of his own healing and growth... We all have different love stories that we are writing. There is no formula of how we fall in love or love. At times we can’t help whom we fall for although we can choose whether or not to love them. For healthy relationships, we look for a partner who brings out the best in us. A person who is patient with our flaws but doesn’t allow us to get away with bullshit behaviour. We demand and give respect to partners who love themselves enough to show how they will be treated and loved. In turn we take notes from Eleanor “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.” There is room for growth in visions and maturity in character. “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -Eleanor Roosevelt” If we have an understanding of ‘love’ why is it that we shortchange ourselves? I decided to end a ‘relationship’ because it didn’t look or feel like a ‘relationship’. It was more of me being ...

Baa baa Black Sheep

‘Baa baa black sheep have you any wool? Yes sir, yes sir, three bags full One for the master, One for the dame, One for the little boy who lives down the lane.”-Baa baa Black Sheep, Nursery Rhyme Oh how I loved nursery school! Learning was so much fun and colourful as the teachers taught using music, visuals and lots of play and let’s not forget nap time! Gosh! (I stare into a blank space with so much nostalgia). Hmm, question! Is there more to life than trying to constantly fit into other people’s moulds? Are my imperfections so great that those around are blinded to the planks to the planks in their own eyes? Or maybe I am just not appropriately in the right place? At one point or another, we all have faced identity issues, or have suffered from the ‘I don’t fit in’ syndrome. The worst time is the puberty-adolescent period. As an individual, one tries to live up to expectations from parents, teachers, peers and society at large. During that same period, an ...

5 Ways Your 30s Are Better Than the 20s

Talk thirty to me! Never ask a lady her age, they say. At a particular age, many refuse to share how old they really are. This year, so many people that I know turned 30. Even famous individuals such as Chris Brown and Misred joined the dirty thirty gang. From my thirty something self, I welcome you all. Your thirties are a whole different stage of life compared to your twenties and forthcoming forties. Though a tricky age to be, your 30s are a defining decade. They are a reflection of the rest of your life based on the map that you draw. Being thirty or plus something comes with an evolution to your being. You discover that you are no longer the same person you were at seventeen or twenty five. This means that entering into this decade you have a new point of view! Don't cry about turning older! These are the five reasons why your 30s are way much better than your 20s. 1. You know what you want How many of us couldn't wait to sing, "I've got the keys, ...

Script My Life: Grown-ish Season 2 Episode 18

I choose ME! We watch and I write; correlating fictional characters with reasonably realistic plot lines to our lives. Script my life! I chose not to review a whole season of a series, neither a film this week. I was struggling to write an authentic story about something that spoke to me through visual consumption. And then I felt emotions erupt as I watched the latest episode of Grown-ish. While I sometimes relate to the protagonist, Zoey Johnson, she annoys me more as I watch this second season. I must forgive her because she's a spoilt 19 year old who is yet to learn the realities of growing up. But she does these really annoying things like being judgemental and being up in people's business. I do love Nomi, Sky (Halle Bailey) and Doug (Diggy Simmons) though. Their characters have so much to offer to the show and audience. In this week's episode titled, 'Nice for What', the young women of the coming-of-age sitcom had to make hard relationship choice...