Skip to main content

I Was A Mean Girl

It doesn't hurt to be tolerant...
 
 

...because 'nice' is for biscuits. Maturity is a very demanding human trait. It requires accountability and humility. You have to be willing to forgo being a winner and accept compromise. But maturity requires a willingness to change, something very few of us are willing to do. It's story time and boy do I have an interesting story for you.

I'm not really sure about the exact time, but I can trace back to fourth grade. I was on this group in class with the meanest people.  There was this girl called Emily. She was tall, lanky with attitude. Not necessarily the brightest crayon in the box, in terms of academics. Emily made the first two terms of fourth grade unbearable. I often would cry to my father about it.

Emily was the definition of a mean girl. My dad once said that she's being mean to me because I'm smarter than her. Might have been true, but that didn't help my social life at school. Come fifth grade, something changed. I became the 'boss'. Any girl who wanted to join my group would have to ask my permission to be in it. At one time the group became so big that the class ended up being part of it. Even Emily asked for permission to be in my group, and how sweet it was to humiliate her for fourth grade. I actually had an arrogance, I felt that no one was above me amongst my peers. I had a sort of upper hand because school authorities were cool with my father. If I didn't like something, I would tell my daddy and daddy would go straight to the school authorities. The following year I had a fallout with one of the girls who started her own group. I was livid.

It's only after losing my father in the seventh grade did I stop being a mean girl. During high school I battled teenage angst, and loneliness. I was vulnerable and a total introvert. I remember tenth grade (form three) and I was the 'new girl'. I had transferred to boarding school which was both a blessing and a curse. I was trying to fit in, I was unaware that I wasn't welcome to the inner circle. I remember crying myself to sleep as my fellow dormitory mates gossiped about me. They shared their dislike for me. I recall one of them saying that I was 'gwash' (meaning whack). That was the defining moment of the 'mean girl' build up.

I learnt to pull other girls down. Never viewing myself as pretty, my esteem was built on intelligence and talent. Though a hardworking B student, I was well read and travelled. I also wrote poetry and sang well. There were often other girls in school whom I was condescending towards regardless of the fact that I was socially awkward. I would tell myself that I will go further than most because I'm smart. "They are just pretty enough for high school....looks can only take you so far in the real world," were my thoughts. In hindsight, that notion was wrong to a larger extent. Come senior year, with some slight confidence, my 'mean girl' episodes were strobe light.

Fast forward to adult life...I was the meanest. I literally suffered from verbal incontinence, add wit, mixed with hyperbolic emotional reactions, I have been a nightmare. At one point in my life, I was told that I'm the female version of Mr X. That wasn't a complement. In adulthood, Lady E has been a tyrant, mean because I chose to.

The big question is why?

When I think of the popular 'mean girls' we have watched on tv or in movies like Regina George, they are mean because of power. Popular girl equals pretty plus mean. Others, mean was a form of projection of insecurities often due to parental neglect, or rejection. What's my story? I was mean due to rejection. It felt easier to shut people out by projecting negative energy. In primary school, I was tiny and bullied. In high school, I didn't fit in. In adulthood, I was broken. Add low self esteem to brokenness, you have the perfect recipe for a 'mean girl'.

Watching Gabrielle Union admit to Jada on the Red Table Talk about being a 'mean girl' felt close to home. As a woman, it takes a lot to admit to being wrong. In this context, being a woman who pits herself against her own kind. 'Mean' by tearing other women down verbally. Mean by offering judgemental perceptions of the next woman. Mean by using the other woman's weaknesses as weapons to degrade her. That mean girl was me. In admission, in some instances, I experienced mean girls coming after. In retaliation, I hit back with even vicious actions and speech. Part of my mean streak came from intimidation. Remember the low self esteem? One woman would be well accomplished in her career. Another young lady is physically attractive. The other has the lifestyle that I needed to work a tenfold to achieve even just a red bottom to have. Whilst, another woman received so much male attention.

Clearly Maleficent was an angel compared to me. I even scared myself. The turning point came when I started my healing process. I remember having compassion for a former neighbour, a woman who I disliked with a passion. I was a mean girl towards her because of envy. Being the same age, she seemed to be living her best life, whilst I struggled in the struggle. I met her at a very low point of her life. She had fallen from her former glory of being a 'slay queen' (loosely used). She looked like a sad case, making me think, gosh, I wouldn't wish that upon anybody. Like a curse lifted, the moment that I became more compassionate towards other women, the lighter I felt. In present time, I walk in another woman's stilettos.

Just because something isn't for you, doesn't make it wrong. I learnt that each to her own, because our stories differ. The paths that we each take vary; for some the path is a yellow brick road, whilst others, there are thorns and thistles. That's the crucial point that I remind myself daily. Another lesson learnt on this journey of the reformed mean girl is that you don't need to like everyone to applaud them. Vice versa, not everyone has to like you, or be your friend. The common ground is 'R.E.S.P.E.C.T'. Respect the next individual's hustle, and accomplishments even if you don't share similar value systems. Try to tone down on projection. Not everyone should be the same, we are not uniforms.



P.S. Always write your own love story!

Ciao!

Lady E

Comments

Popular Posts

5 Inexpensive Dates in a Bad Economy

If he's making the economy an excuse, swipe left.... A guy who makes too many excuses whilst pursuing you is not worth your time. He will make excuses for not making time for you. More so, for not taking you on a date. A real man makes a plan...all the time! Yes, the economy is atrocious...a complete nightmare! Does that mean that humanity stops? Y'all,  we have procreation to continue until the end of time. A season of a recession, shouldn't hinder dates, relationships and the whole nine yards that come with that package. Couples over centuries overcame obstacles such as family feuds, classism, racism, tribalism, religious differences etc. They all found a way around those challenges. Any guy who uses 'in this economy' as an excuse is dropped like a pin. Honestly, such an individual lacks ambition and creativity. I want the flowers, chocolate, and the date. Otherwise...skrrr! You will have to show innovation in your pursuit. If you can't be strategic w

Script My Life: The Perfect Holiday

It's not selfish to want more! It's actually the 25th of December! Oh, you thought that I would take a break from blogging. Not at all. Today, we watch a movie together. Let's find what holiday flick gets us into the spirit. I guess you're wondering why I dialed back to an 'old' movie. Well, I haven’t properly watched this 2007 movie. Imagine it's taken me 13 whole years to watch this holiday flick starring Gabrielle Union-Wade, Morris Chestnut, and the late Charlie Murphy. For those who still haven't watched the movie 'The Perfect Holiday' - spoiler warning. The movie follows two characters who will by the magic of Christmas meet. Before I go ahead, Queen Latifah plays mother Christmas who is the 'Christmas angel'. Terrence Howard is the 'Grinch-like' character named "Bah Humbug", who opposes the 'spirit of Christmas'. We meet Benjamin (Morris Chestnut) is an aspiring songwriter who attempts to break into the mu

Winter ABC Day 6: Thank You Carrie Bradshaw

Who knew that a TV show would be the reason that I intentionally speak my mind? You can learn nothing from television they say. TV makes you dumb! Oh well, maybe so, however one television show was the match for this wildfire. My older sister pulled her hair out when she found out that my young sister and I were watching Sex and the City. Amongst her collection of video cassettes, she had a box set of the guilty pleasure, Sex and the City. The age guide was no under 21; I was 17 and my younger sibling was way too young. You are telling yourself that these adolescents were mischievous, maybe. I believe we were curious and adventurous. I was obsessed with pop culture with the hopes of one day being Lala Vasquez on TRL or hosting E! News. From my collection of People magazine I had read so much about the cast of Sex and the City. There were mentions of the cast members of the hit show in particular Sarah Jessica Parker. SJP as she's affectionately known, played the lead role of

Script My Life: A Fall From Grace

I finally watched 'A Fall From Grace'.... And I don't know what y'all were complaining about, this flick was great! I am currently working from home during these perilous times of the terrifying COVID 19. The company that I work for made a conscious decision to protect its employees by permitting social distancing via staying at home. While I don't mind working in my pyjamas, this isolation would be ideal in a country with reliable electricity, a stable economy and adequate food supply. Please feel free to send donations, plus I need to make my rent, otherwise... A few months later, I finally got to view Tyler Perry’s, "A Fall From Grace". Premiered exclusively on Netflix, the film is a suspense/thriller written, produced, directed and starring Tyler Perry. Impressively, the film was shot in five days, clearly on a minimal budget. Perry is synonymous with featuring in his own movies from the Madea franchise, to 'Why Did I Get Married?', a

Script My Life: The Kissing Booth 2

Wayment...there's a 'Kissing Booth 3'? I finally watched the highly anticipated sequel to the Netflix original, 'The Kissing Booth'. Picking up from where we left off, Noah is at Havard University, while Elle and Lee are high school seniors. Elle narrates the events that occurred during the summer break. She highlights her relationship with Noah, college application and Lee's relationship with Rachel. The cast remains the same with Joey King as Elle Evans, Joel Courtney as Lee Flynn and Jacob Elordi as Noah Flynn. In addition we have Molly Ringwald as Sarah Flynn, Meganne Young as Rachel, Taylor Zakhar Perez as Marco PenĂ£, and Maisie Richardson-Sellers as Chloe Winthrop. Elle is adjusting to the idea of a long distance relationship with Noah. She becomes the third wheel in Lee and Rachel's relationship.The film starts with Elle narrating her time with Noah before he leaves for Harvard. Her senior year starts with her classmates gossiping how she and Noah wil